• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm not big at all with Mobil Woodworking equipment, intends to be light weight and will move when you are pushing full sheets of high quality plywood through them..
    I have owned a Powermatic 66 cabinet saw for 30 years along with the Biesemeyer 52" fence and extra cast table on the right side..
    It will not move no matter what wood you push through it.
    My brother and father both use Delta's cabinet Uni-saws..
    A great table saw will cut a true and square box makes woodworking so much easier.
    I would suggest uping your budget and buy a new or used high end cabinet saw..

ketilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2016
    Muncie
    If you haven't already bought a saw and you are not wanting a portable saw you should look into a Shopsmith. I used to own every woodworking tool there is and also always thought that I wish I had a all in on one tool such as the Shopsmith.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I'm not big at all with Mobil Woodworking equipment, intends to be light weight and will move when you are pushing full sheets of high quality plywood through them..
    I have owned a Powermatic 66 cabinet saw for 30 years along with the Biesemeyer 52" fence and extra cast table on the right side..
    It will not move no matter what wood you push through it.
    My brother and father both use Delta's cabinet Uni-saws..
    A great table saw will cut a true and square box makes woodworking so much easier.
    I would suggest uping your budget and buy a new or used high end cabinet saw..

I really wish I could. The problem is two fold though. Money is a minor one, the space needed for a full cabinet saw is the big one.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If you haven't already bought a saw and you are not wanting a portable saw you should look into a Shopsmith. I used to own every woodworking tool there is and also always thought that I wish I had a all in on one tool such as the Shopsmith.

Some of the problems with a ShopSmith is the top to the Tablesaw is small, and every time.e you need a different tool you have to spend time changing and setting up the new tool on the lathe base.. Lots of time spent on setting up and resetting up..
    If shop size is an problem the ShopSmith can work well..

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I really wish I could. The problem is two fold though. Money is a minor one, the space needed for a full cabinet saw is the big one.

If you are going to buy something aluminum and portable bring a GOOD measuring device with you and move the fence back and forth and continually lock it down and measure between the fence and blade.
    That in itself will answer if that tool is money well spent..
    Try to stay away from direct drive saws and make sure the fence system has excellent repeatability..
    If it doesn't cut square it ain't worth poop..

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had a Home Depot contractor table saw a few years ago and it was fine. I liked the built in castors because I needed to be able to move it around in my small, garage shop.

I up graded to a Delta Unisaw after a few years. Delta makes fine stuff too. You'll probably find those saws are very comparable at that price point, with similar features.

Next, you'll want to see what features they have in regards to dust and chip collection--you'll need that with a table saw. :D

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The dust/chip collection systems seem to be fairly similar in performance between the two.
    I need it to be movable around the shop, not necessary portable. I had looked at the dewalts, but they don't have a model with a table big enough to my liking.

I will have to head over to the store to check both of them out and see how well the fences keep square.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I had a Home Depot contractor table saw a few years ago and it was fine. I liked the built in castors because I needed to be able to move it around in my small, garage shop.

I up graded to a Delta Unisaw after a few years. Delta makes fine stuff too. You'll probably find those saws are very comparable at that price point, with similar features.

Next, you'll want to see what features they have in regards to dust and chip collection--you'll need that with a table saw. :D

dust and chip collection will be worthless unless its a cabinet saw [ with a box covering the Baldor motor :dunno: ].....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    dust and chip collection will be worthless unless its a cabinet saw [ with a box covering the Baldor motor :dunno: ].....
    It's been a number of years now, but seems like the Rigid saw I got at HD had an enclosure to capture the dust and chips and I used my shop vac on it for awhile. I eventually got a dust collector but can't remember if that was before of after I got the cabinet saw.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a portable DeWalt table saw which works fine for me as I never build anything of any size with it. Like 17Squirrel says get a large solid saw if you are going to be doing bigger work.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It really depends on where you want to go with this. I have two table saws. One is a Deta Unisaw that I bought new almost 30 years ago. It cuts within 1/64" with total persision. I had a commercial wood shop set up for retirement, but things didn't work out the way I planned. My other saw is a Dewalt job site saw. I an a little bias because I work for Stanley Blak and Decker, owner of Dewalt. For the money it is a solid and well made saw. Easy to set up, use and store. Good persision.

There are a wide range of saws available. However, buy the one that will let you do the task you need SAFETY!!! I cannot express that enough. To many times I see the result of someone using a tool for a task it was not designed for and the out come was not good.

Good of luck in you quest

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

The footprint is relative term. If you plan to work with anything larger than a 2' x 4' panel you're going to be at an extreme disadvantage. The instability of the contractor job site saw will soon prove to be a problem. The main components of a saw that should be considered are the size of the motor and the quality of the fence. Both need to be adequate to perform the task(s) you plan to apply to the saw. An underpowered saw or a flimsy fence create a lot headaches.

If you're planning on working with full sheets of plywood a lightweight saw might even be dangerous. Don't know what your budget is, but I would suggest you take a look at a couple of the "hybrid" saws - the Jet and the Dewalt 746. Both are right around a grand. Both can be had with a retractable wheelbase so they can be moved around if need be.

I woulld suggest you write down all the features you would like to have - then determine which saws fill the bill. I bought a lightweight aluminum Sears Creaftman table saw and quickly concluded it wasn't for me. I sold the Craftsman and upgraded to a Dewalt hybrid DW746. It has a cast iron top and an adequate fence. I opted to add the sliding table which increased the capability of the saw. I do some light cabinet making and the Dewalt is enough for me. If I was making a living with a table saw I'd opt for a full on cabinet saw with a Beisemer fence.

Good of luck with your search.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm not sure when Sears started carrying Grizzly tools, but take a look at this saw. It has the riving knife you want, and is setup for dust collection. Grizzly is decent equipment in my experience.

Sears.com

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Neither of the saws I'm looking at would really fall into the job site category. They both have cast iron tables. The fence on the delta is supposed to be nicer. I am planning on using it for full size sheets. I am just needing something that is semi mobile in my shop/garage as I will need to periodically move it. I had looked at several grizzly models, but I want to keep this one under 600 if possible.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I have an older Craftsman table saw with a plastic shell on the underside to facilitate dust collection. I've added a couple of pieces of thin plywood, cut to cover most of the open areas and it collects dust really well.

Another thing you can do to help with a lower end table saw is to trade out aluminum pulleys for steel pulleys. The steel pulleys will run true and the extra weight helps dampen vibration.

Top Bottom