• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    My son will turn 13 in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about getting him a 22 pistol. I have narrowed my search to the S & W 22A or the Beretta NEOS. The Smith has a 5.5" barrel while the NEOS has a 6". Both weigh pretty much the same. The NEOS look like you can swap out to different barrels easy. The price for each is the same and is in the range I am able to spend.

My main concern is the ability for the pistol to feed all kinds of ammo. My Beretta 22 tomcat is picky and only feeds well with mini mags.

Neither of the webistes talk about trigger pull weights.

Do any of you own either of these pistols? Can you offer opinions?

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wProdu...k=2100000084:3100001364:3100001520:4100001564

Product: Model 22A Pistol

I have pasted a link for each.

Thanks for your help.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I have shot the 22A and it is a nice gun, but I prefer a Ruger Mark III. I know that's not on your list, but it's worthy of consideration. My Rugers will digest most ammo - I only have problems with Remington (all brands of it) and Winchester X-pert.

My 12-year old son shoots a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with a red-dot. He's been to several steel matches in the last 6-months and shoots it quite well for his age.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Why not a Walther P22. I own one and find it a blast to shoot. Besides the simplicity of swapping barrels, and its affordability there isn't much wrong with it. I have not had a problem with it feeding any ammo. The smaller size would compliment a Junior shooter and the replaceable back straps would allow a bit of room to grow in. Both the pistols you picked are not bad in their own right, but I prefer the Walther to either of those. Just a thought.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Another one to add to your list but it's priced a touch higher..

Walther SP22 M3 (6" Barrel Length)

SWWAP22203.jpg

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Out of the two you have mentioned: I have never shot the Neos, so I can't speak to that one. I have a 22A (actually mine is a 22S) but I love it. It's a great plinker and has chewed through every type of ammo I have ever fed it. No problems what so ever. I have a red dot on mine, and its very accurate. The only downside I can think of (depending on the shooter) is that it's a little heavy, which is good balance but also can cause some strain and wobble when trying to keep it raised at the target for shooters who lack the strength to keep it steady.

I personally have no complaints with it whatsoever.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    +1 smith walther. my grandsons have "liberated" mine. browning buckmark is a good choice also. i'll bet what ever you choose your son will love it good luck.:twocents:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Right then,
    Unless you are really sold on one of those, I would consider
    Going with something different. I feel that
    Everyone needs a .22 pistol, but there are some out there that have a
    Really, really strong following.

I'm just sayin'. :D

If you get a MK II or III, and the trigger blows, then a little time with a stone if you know what you're doing, or a little shopping online with VQ, and you'll improve that trigger pull dramatically.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    my dad has ruger single-six and a friend has a colt revolver in .22lr. They will eat anything all day long as they are revolvers. They might be out of the price range you want though. :dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I vote walther p22. My daughter(12) loves to shoot it. It will eat anything(though I usually feed it CCI stinger). Very easy to clean as well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ricnzak,

In that catagory it's really hard to beat the Ruger MK series or the Browning Buckmark series.

Agreed. I paid $360 for my Buckmark new in Febuary. At 25 yards shooting from a bench, every shot was in the bullseye. I have never had luck with s&w .22 pistols. Also I can not get over the ugly look of the neos. :twocents:

Top Bottom