• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    Need advise on buying a good gun safe. I only have 3 long guns and 14 pistols but will need a little room to grow. Don't see ever getting over a dozen long guns. Will also be using it for other items. Have about $2K to spend but may go a bit more if the quality is substantially better.

PS, I talked to the owner of Misty Morn Safe Company today and they seem to have some really nice safes at close to reasonable prices. Anybody have any experience with them?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I can't say a lot about safes so take it for what it's worth but I think if I was going to go buy a safe I'd go buy a liberty. For your budget you can about get one of the best they offer as far as fire rating and size go. You could get something with great fire protection that was a bit smaller and be well within budget, with still plant of room for your collection to grow. I'm in to see what others more knowledgable than me have to say.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have a few Johnson safes, spanning the gamut of his offerings. I am very please with them. Jeff even made me additional shelves for the big boys.

I purchased a mid-sized one to serve as the overflow safe. I think this may be up your alley:

BR-530: Johnson Safe Price List

I have a few suggested modifications to the Johnson:

1. Build a dais for it. Nothing fancy. Mine are reinforced 2"X6" with lag bolts and then I cover them in carpet.

I like having it off the floor as it prevents potential rust issues AND at 6'1" it allows me to access the safe without stooping over.

2. Add those touch lights to it. The big boys get dark. Touch lights from Home Depot or wherever are great for eyes of a certain age (I cannot see up close very well anymore without illumination).

3. Coat of car wax once a year leaves it looking spectacular. Even though I have mine in the basement, I still like them shiny.

HTH

ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    Fire protection is my #1 concern

I can't say a lot about safes so take it for what it's worth but I think if I was going to go buy a safe I'd go buy a liberty. For your budget you can about get one of the best they offer as far as fire rating and size go. You could get something with great fire protection that was a bit smaller and be well within budget, with still plant of room for your collection to grow. I'm in to see what others more knowledgable than me have to say.
    Fire protection is my #1 concern. I have a home security system as well as 2 roving home security systems (120lb Great Dane and a 110lb Cane Corso)

ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    [video=youtube_share;ltK-bDbADa8]http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8[/video]
    Watched this video a couple days ago. Good info but it seems some of the advertisements for safes do not really tell all the specs as explained here. Also, after speaking to the owner of Misty Morn Safes I don't know if I can really trust some of the advertised fire ratings.

ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    This is pretty handy as well: Gun Safe Buyers Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Coming from somebody that opens a lot of safes: dial is the only way. Just say no to electronic pads.

In lieu of stuff like Diebold or Mosler, get a Sargent & Greenleaf locker, and preferably get the one you WANT, by familiarizing yourself here:

Sargent and Greenleaf- Mechanical Combination lock

-Nate
    Good idea. I was also wondering how do you get the safe open if there is a fire and the exterior mechanisms are destroyed?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well, HOPEFULLY, the mechanical dial(s) are not completely destroyed. If they are, then a good safe cracker could still be called to open it, instead of just cutting it open. That being your last resort.

-Nate

ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    I have a few Johnson safes, spanning the gamut of his offerings. I am very please with them. Jeff even made me additional shelves for the big boys.

I purchased a mid-sized one to serve as the overflow safe. I think this may be up your alley:

BR-530: Johnson Safe Price List

I have a few suggested modifications to the Johnson:

1. Build a dais for it. Nothing fancy. Mine are reinforced 2"X6" with lag bolts and then I cover them in carpet.

I like having it off the floor as it prevents potential rust issues AND at 6'1" it allows me to access the safe without stooping over.

2. Add those touch lights to it. The big boys get dark. Touch lights from Home Depot or wherever are great for eyes of a certain age (I cannot see up close very well anymore without illumination).

3. Coat of car wax once a year leaves it looking spectacular. Even though I have mine in the basement, I still like them shiny.

HTH

Very Cool! They are just up in Zionsville and I am in Carmel. I may take a trip up there tomorrow and check them out.

ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    Well, HOPEFULLY, the mechanical dial(s) are not completely destroyed. If they are, then a good safe cracker could still be called to open it, instead of just cutting it open. That being your last resort.

-Nate
    Oh the irony! Have to break into your own safe.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Watched this video a couple days ago. Good info but it seems some of the advertisements for safes do not really tell all the specs as explained here. Also, after speaking to the owner of Misty Morn Safes I don't know if I can really trust some of the advertised fire ratings.

Plus I have noticed if you are buying used, the new safes do not match the specs on ones from several years earlier. And the safes themselves do not say what they are made of. Some will list fire ratings on the doors. That is about all that is listed.

Top Bottom