• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    So with all the news around the world showing just how threatening the "mob" mentality is, my father, who probably has forgotten where he has hidden more 38's than I have handguns, now wants a hi-cap auto.

Problem is, now at age 68, his hand strength isn't what it use to be. He wants something with lots of rounds, just in case.

I have let him try most of my handguns, but has a problem with all of them. Can't rack my high end 1911's. XD's or Glocks are a real problem also. I'm trying to talk him into a basic AR which would satisfy his need for more than 5 rounds from his wheel guns. He is reluctant, but willing to shoot a few mags out of mine before he make up his mind about a HD rifle. He has handled M14/M16/Colt 45 in the service. He has a couple Mossburg 500's which he still can handle with ease.

That being said, he still wants a hi-cap auto. Not a big fan of 9mm, but this would allow the most rounds per magazine. He can shoot anything I own if I chamber the first round. This will not be one of his carry guns. He probably won't mount a light so rails are not needed. This handgun will spend its days on the bedstand most likely. He is not comfortable with something he can't clear a round or change mags and rechamber a round.

Looking for ideas for a easy to rack production gun. I would rather not buy assorted springs and see if he likes a particular setup on a chosen host gun. He will spend the $$$ if he likes something, but I doubt he wants to spend much more than $400-$600.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    He is not comfortable with something he can't clear a round or change mags and rechamber a round.

Looking for ideas for a easy to rack production gun. I would rather not buy assorted springs and see if he likes a particular setup on a chosen host gun. He will spend the $$$ if he likes something, but I doubt he wants to spend much more than $400-$600.

I'd suggest he look at a Taurus 24/7 Pro. Of all the handguns I've owned, they are probably one of the easiest to manipulate the slide. They are available with or without safety, full-size or compact, and have fairly gentle recoil. You should be able to pick up a used one for between $350-400 if you look around.

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    If he's not interested in weight, I can recommend the CZ75-B or the Taurus PT92(choice of letters here).

I have a few dozen handguns, and i'd not shot my CZ in a year. I got it out to the range. It holds 16 +1. I have to admit, everything good people
    say about the CZ75 is true. It's easy to shoot, has a fine trigger, and is
    laser accurate. It's metal and has heft to absorb recoil. Good grip and fine sights. It's never had a failure in probably 1000 rounds. (that's only
    20 boxes of ammo).

The Taurus 92 is likewise a hefty pistol that has a great trigger, good sights, and mine is dead accurate. I've heard that some have come from the factory needing alignment, but mine has been perfect. It's every bit
    as nice to shoot as my CZ. This pistol has never failed in any way as well.

CZ makes some fine polymer pistols but they will recoil more. Every Taurus
    I've had but the 92 has had to go back to the factory for adjustment. HOWEVER, one of my favorite carry pistols is the 9mm Slim. I've had it back from service for over a year now and it's never had a problem with the hundreds of rounds i've shot through it. Most of them some really heavy loaded +p stuff I found online.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unless there is a serious disability, racking a slide is more about technique than strength. If he can grip strongly enough to fire a gun, he can learn to rack the slide. The problem is, not everyone is aware of some simple tricks (like holding the slide motionless, then pushing forward with your firing hand using your shoulder and chest muscles).

Given that, most 1911-pattern guns in 9mm are about as easy as it gets when racking the slide, especially if you thumb cock the hammer first. Then you keep it cocked with the chamber loaded and thumb safety "on" and you're good to go.

The Para-Ordnance P18.9 holds 18+1 rounds in stock configuration and could not be easier to shoot. Getting one that functions well may be an issue, but once it is reliable, it is an excellent shooting tool. With extended base pads you can have a 23+1 shooter.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Like another has already suggested, try exploring different techniques for racking slides. I'm sure there will be one or two that your father can benefit from.

Common technique for weak hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY&feature=related

Also, if you look for a hand gun with some square "snaggy" sights... you can implement a slide rack with one hand and pushing down on your clothing.... this might eliminate the need for actual grip strength as the power is coming from the palm, not the wrist/forearm.

You can see this at around the 1:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBLgX7d1SAc&feature=channel_video_title

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Lots of good advice here. I'll have him watch the videos and see if that makes it easier for him. Thanks for the reply's.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Take him to a shop and see what he thinks of different options...

I have Glocks and XD's primarily, but (1) I have that seems to shoot well for anybody is a FNP-9. The fact you said he wouldn't be carring this weapon, the size might not matter than. I find the FN a rather large pistol for it's caliber, but for some reason it shoots very accurately for everyone I hand it to. It was the only pistol I had that the wife could rack before she watched some of the videos showing different techniques. In 9mm, it hold 17 IIRC, and again, is very accurate !

Like was said above, you willl probably fare well showing him the different techniques. I would suspect the bigger challenge will be deciding what caliber. While 9mm has came so far the past decade but I still couldn't fault anyone for being more comfortable with something larger...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Brownells has a "T" handle for racking the slide on a 1911 that has a red dot mounted, maybe something like that will help. Para-Ordinance makes an 18 round 9mm pistol, as well as a 16 round .40 if he wants to stay with a 1911 style pistol. Good Luck

Smith & Wesson also have an 8 shot revolver, might be worth looking at.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He needs a big pistol so it is easier to manipulate rather than all the small, goofy pistols that are all the rage in the gun rags.

He needs training to show him how to manipulate it. My guess he is doing it wrong and blaming age or a condition.

He needs to start doing hand exercises to strengthen his hands and keep arthitis away.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Glock with a racker backplate would help with pinching the slide

I don't understand. Why pinch/bow and arrow the slide when you could reciprocate the slide properly?

Is this that Call of Duty thing again? Place your support hand so that your thumb is sticking back to you so you can maximize your hand strength rather than handicapping yourself with that bow and arrow thing they do on video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntpSu0c-tLo

You don't need strength, you need ejamakashun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGQQhkjzec&feature=related

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I don't understand. Why pinch/bow and arrow the slide when you could reciprocate the slide properly?

Maybe when you get old you will understand how badly arthritis can rob your hands of strength, especially when trying to pinch something. With the slide racker you can easily operate the slide with one hand as well.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I find the slide on a Ruger P95 or the metal P89 rather easy to manipulate.

Not a pistol that will garner bragging rights, but it is reliable, robust, and has a double stack magazine of ammo.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Has he tried a glock with a few thousand rounds through it? I'm hardcore 1911, but I'd have to say the glock 19 I bought from Que is the easiest gun I own for this particular concern. It's a smooth as butter. You just THINK about it and it goes. I've never liked the feel of newer glocks, but find one that's broken in and you may have a different level of success.

Top Bottom