• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had a couple of guitars in high school and for a few years after. I tinkered around, played tab and never really made any progress. Eventually I sold them off and moved on to guns. I've had an itch for the past year or so to give it another go. I prefer acoustic but I figure I could play an electric without disturbing the family as much and I'm told there is software out which allows you to use a laptop rather than an amp (I could wear headphones or earbuds).

I'm wondering if any of the experienced guitar players might have some advice for someone looking to start over. I don't have a $1K budget for a guitar but I don't want a piece of crap starter guitar either. I see a lot of Ibanez for sale on CL. They were considered pretty cool when I still had a mullet, are they decent? If not, what would you recommend?

Does playing through a laptop work pretty well? Any particular software you'd recommend? Just trying to get an idea of what it would cost me to try to get back in to it a bit.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    There is nothing like playing through a cranked up tube amp. Call me old fashioned, but computers are a bad influence on music. Stock with an acoustic, any experienced player will tell you it's better to learn on one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is nothing like playing through a cranked up tube amp. Call me old fashioned, but computers are a bad influence on music. Stock with an acoustic, any experienced player will tell you it's better to learn on one.

Any way to tone an acoustic down a bit so everyone in the house wouldn't have to listen to me make insulting noises with it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any way to tone an acoustic down a bit so everyone in the house wouldn't have to listen to me make insulting noises with it?

Play in the garage.....not be a smart A$$ but I did that when I was learning to play in my early teens. Kept the old mans foot out of my butt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Play in the garage.....not be a smart A$$ but I did that when I was learning to play in my early teens. Kept the old mans foot out of my butt.

Ain't happenin. Have you been outside this month? My garage isn't air conditioned, I wouldn't hand around out there if there was a fully furnished stripper pole let alone to play guitar.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I'm no expert but I really like my epiphone Les Paul black beauty. Its under a grand and sounds awesome.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Sure you could run headphones. What kind of music would you like to play?

You could always play an electric without an amp. I did that for years in my bedroom because my gear was always at someones house.

But in the end I'll still say nothing raises the hair on my neck like warm tubes.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I'll check with my son. His room looks like Guitar Center threw up in there. I know he uses Guitar Port to play into the computer. I also know the best sound comes from the Marshall stack and Peavy 6505+ tube amp. The software is Audacity.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got a chinese strat ripoff for my son to see if he was interested; hasn't been so far, but it's not a bad unit for about sixty bux. Got a Peavey Predator to noodle with and save the strat. An acoustic is best to learn with, but it won't go any quieter than it is. An electric through headphones can be pretty quiet, but you lose the capacity for "real" feedback if you're so inclined. Tradeoffs, desires, the whole thing.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Depends on what you want to do, If u like Les Pauls the Epiphones
    around 5 to $600 are great buys.

As said above a cranked old school tube amp sounds great.

I cant stand playing through anything solid state, but thats me.

Most important thing is get SOMETING AND PLAY!!!

Jimmy

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have an acoustic but I usually play one of my electrics through a POD with headphones to keep from irritating the family too much. Does it sounds as good as a cranked Fender Bassman or Marshall stack, no but you're not recording your practicing. As for the brand of guitar, that's a personal choice. Kinda like Glock vs. Sig vs. ....... I have a couple of higher end Ibanez's and I really like them. I've also owned a couple that were garbage. Pretty much you get what you pay for.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I listen to more country than anything these days so I'm not too interested in rock. An acoustic is more appealing but like I don't want to punish everyone in the house with my crummy playing.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    As far as acoustics go, classical guitars are somewhat quieter than steel strings. If you want a steel string, go with lighter gauge strings, a soundhole comer and strum with your fingers or a use a thin pick.

Top Bottom