• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I am looking for some advice as to where to go next. I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado with 96,000 original miles. 2wd 5.7L V-8 TBI with a 4L60E transmission. It sits more than it gets driven, however a few months ago I went to use it and it would die immediately when I put it in gear. It was cold and I didn't feel like messing with it, but ordered tune up parts to install.

Yesterday it was warmer out, so i put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, tbi gasket and fuel filter. It fired up, however again as soon as it goes into gear it wants to die (reverse or drive). The SES light is not on and it will rev up to 4K RPM in park or neutral. At that point it was getting late, I was frustrated and I went inside.

Any ideas on on what to test next?
    I feel it is getting spark and fuel as it will rev to 4K in neutral and park. My gut is telling me transmission, but not sure how to test aside from jacking up the rear end and seeing if it still dies when put in gear.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Try cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve(IAC). Located on the throttle body.

When the get gummed up they won't open and the extra load that gets put on the engine when in gear is enough to stall it if it can't get the extra air it needs.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    This is going to sound stupid but it's a known problem. Replace the ignition switch. A friend of mine had the same year Chevy and I put two in it for a similar problem.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I am looking for some advice as to where to go next. I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado with 96,000 original miles. 2wd 5.7L V-8 TBI with a 4L60E transmission. It sits more than it gets driven, however a few months ago I went to use it and it would die immediately when I put it in gear. It was cold and I didn't feel like messing with it, but ordered tune up parts to install.

Yesterday it was warmer out, so i put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, tbi gasket and fuel filter. It fired up, however again as soon as it goes into gear it wants to die (reverse or drive). The SES light is not on and it will rev up to 4K RPM in park or neutral. At that point it was getting late, I was frustrated and I went inside.

Any ideas on on what to test next?
    I feel it is getting spark and fuel as it will rev to 4K in neutral and park. My gut is telling me transmission, but not sure how to test aside from jacking up the rear end and seeing if it still dies when put in gear.

I also have a 95 Silverado with the same engine, same mileage, (not sure about tranny) and had similar issues. Mine wouldn't die just from putting it in gear but as soon as I touched the gas it would die. Gave it a tune up, new fuel filter, carb cleaner, etc. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The fuel pump is inside the gas tank and is quite expensive.

Good luck.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Some great suggestions upthread. If you're still not having any success try checking the specs on the end line for the rotary girder.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I am going to start with the IAC.
    What is the easiest way to check if the torque converter is unlocking?

I am also considering getting a cable and seeing if there is a tuner pro definition to scan. Being OBD1 I am not sure what all is available to scan, but something to look into.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I also have a 95 Silverado with the same engine, same mileage, (not sure about tranny) and had similar issues. Mine wouldn't die just from putting it in gear but as soon as I touched the gas it would die. Gave it a tune up, new fuel filter, carb cleaner, etc. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The fuel pump is inside the gas tank and is quite expensive.

Good luck.

To add to this, rev the engine while in park, if it wants to die, you probably have a fuel delivery problem.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I pulled the IAC and it was very clean. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and wiped it off since I had it out. One thing I noticed tonight was that when I key on, the fuel pump sounds weak. It primes, but just sounds weak to me. GM did not put a schrader valve on the TBI engines to test fuel pressure, so I am going to get an adapter to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. Thanks for the suggestions so far. If I remember right GM fuel pumps from the late 80's- mid 90's were a bit of a weak spot.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I pulled the IAC and it was very clean. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and wiped it off since I had it out. One thing I noticed tonight was that when I key on, the fuel pump sounds weak. It primes, but just sounds weak to me. GM did not put a schrader valve on the TBI engines to test fuel pressure, so I am going to get an adapter to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. Thanks for the suggestions so far. If I remember right GM fuel pumps from the late 80's- mid 90's were a bit of a weak spot.

Pretty sure the correct adapter with a shrader valve on those old GMs goes ine the line in place of the fuel filter. Heads up, I have had a few where the fittings were seized to the line...PITA

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My 1994 Oldsmobile gave me a similar issue. Did the plugs, wires, filters(fuel-air-EGR), added Heat to gas tank. Then I noticed if I push on the column shifter, it would stay running. Took it to a shop I trust, and they replaced neutral safety switch in steering column. The showed me how worn out the old one was. The shifter tightened up. 112,000 orig miles.
    Fixed problem.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Top Bottom