• ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    INGO

I will likely be putting up our Christmas lights this coming weekend. However, we do not have a ladder tall enough for it. We like the icicle lights to hang off the gutters.

Last year we paid someone off a Craigslist ad. The gentleman who showed up came woefully unprepared. I was upfront about the 20' peak but he only had an 8' step ladder. He made up the difference by putting the ladder in the bed of his truck on top of all the trash and beer cans that were in there too! Also during casual conversation I'm pretty sure he admitted to enough felonies to make Charles Manson blush.

I only have a 6' step ladder which I know is inadequate for the 20' peak. We have a single story home.

I've thought of a few different ways:

1. Ask the neighbors. This request is pending. I'm not sure if my best neighbors have a ladder but I'll soon find out. Our other neighbors (who I SAW using a tall extension ladder) I have not had much interaction with. They speak Spanish and actually I do too so it would be a nice way to get to know them perhaps. However they are our least favorite neighbors often having loud parties. Has never really escalated at all on either end though.

2. Purchase a ladder then return it: I could buy a ladder from Lowes or wherever and return it later that day. Alternatively I could keep it until after I take the lights down so I don't have to repeat the process. But I could probably take the lights DOWN without needing quite as tall a ladder. Possible problems I could see are that we only have a small SUV (think Ford Escape). It does have roof rails but only really for show as it has no cross members to actually tie stuff to. I doubt I could fit the ladder sufficiently inside the car and would have to purchase roof cross bars to tie it to the roof safely.

3. Ladder Rental- Morally superior to option #2. Same shortcomings as far as transporting it. I also have no idea of cost. I know that SunBelt rentals out of the local Lowes does offer ladders though.

Any thoughts? After last year's fiasco, I am NOT having anyone else paid or unpaid hang my lights due to smarting up about liability issues. I rent my house and will be moving shortly so I don't really want to keep a ladder around after the holidays.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd be happy to loan you either a 20' or 32' extension ladder, but you'd have to pick it up in Lafayette, and return it here.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I worked for a rental company for many years. We would happily deliver and pick-up rented items for a small extra fee. I'm sure Sunbelt would do the same.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go all out and rent a cherry-picker. Luckily, my father-in-law owns one. These were taken about 3 years ago, and I swear that tree is about 10 feet taller this year. I hate heights, by the way.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'd be happy to loan you either a 20' or 32' extension ladder, but you'd have to pick it up in Lafayette, and return it here.

Same offer if Liberty in closer.

There is no way I would do option 2. You are basically making them pay money to let you borrow something. Would you go up to your neibor and say "If you give me 20 bucks Ill borrow your ladder, and return it. If you purchase a ladder you should put it away, and get it out once a year like the rest of us.

Top Bottom