• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As some may recall, I made magnetic armor for my truck. The issue has become storing it and keeping the magnet side clean. I need something like a big accordion folder, I think. The biggest piece is roughly 3x3' and it's a fairly heavy stack. I thought about building a shallow box and using cut up moving blanket or similar between the pieces, but it seems heavy and inefficient. Anyone think of a better plan?

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    You could make a giant old school magazine rack out of wood. Would be simple to make and fairly cheap.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Screw some sheet metal to your garage wall and stick them on it.

I'm looking for storing them in vehicle, mostly. I've got shelf space in the garage for them. I put them in a big cardboard sleeve that floor mats came in when I went to Texas but I hadn't thought it through. Once I took them off and stacked them back up, the dirt on top of a panel would get the magnet side of the panel above it dirty. I *should* have snapped them magnet side to magnet side (left to right) and that would have greatly reduced, but not eliminated that. I need to keep the magnet side clean, as any sand or dirt behind the magnet can scratch the paint and that is the whole point behind the armor.

I think the Jeep top bag, along with smarter magnet-magnet side storage and some old moving blanket between each 'sandwich' is going to work.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You might mix and match your solutions. Jeep top bag for everything together and then multiple cheap art cases inserted for separating panels inside the Jeep bag.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If you like the idea of the Jeep top bag, you can also find bags for soft top windows. I had one when I had a Jeep.Soft, zipper bag with felt inserts between the windows.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You might mix and match your solutions. Jeep top bag for everything together and then multiple cheap art cases inserted for separating panels inside the Jeep bag.

Too many panels for that, I think, as there's over 20 total. Here's the panels pre-paint.

20230328_143324-jpg.266585

After paint (at Big Bend Nat'l Park)

20230413_151543.jpg

As you can see they do a good job to save your paint from the trail side brush, but if I let that sand/dirt/dust get on the under side it'll defeat the purpose.
    20230413_154654.jpg

Top Bottom