• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Former ND nuclear missile site gets first visitors - Yahoo! News

COOPERSTOWN, N.D. – A former nuclear missile launch center that closed as the Cold War was winding down opened Monday to a public curious to see what life was like at the once-top secret site.

Visitors can go underground and view where Air Force officers once sat to wait for a possible nuclear war. It was their job to monitor 10 nearby Minuteman III nuclear missiles — and to launch them if ordered.

A freight elevator took about 30 visitors Monday to two cavernous rooms that resemble railroad tunnels, where the underground air smelled faintly of diesel fuel and parts of the floor were sticky with hydraulic fluid.

One room housed diesel generators and air conditioners to cool the equipment. Another was for two officers who worked 24-hour shifts. Rows of light on a console showed the status of each missile. One labeled "missile away" would indicate a launch.

"We want to beat down that idea that one guy who has had a bad day can push the button," he said. "People who don't know anything about the system, I think they go away feeling much safer."

I think this is awesome. I'm sure our enemies already know most of what these look like on the inside, so why not?

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    "
    Great idea. The sites are part of history that have remained clouded in secrecy and speculation.

I spent three years at Whiteman AFB Minuteman Missile Base in Missouri. As Security Police, we went down into the controlroom to assist the crews and sometimes just to play cards to keep them busy.... it was a long and boring time in those command centers (except when the alarms went off.... then it was controlled chaos).

I'd love to go into one and relive old memories. (see that trackway running along the floor?,... it was used by the crew to slide back & forth while manning the controls.)

P.S. in the elevators that took the crews down into the centers, a small step-ladder was attached to the wall. In typical military jargon, it was labeled "Emergency Egression System".:rolleyes:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The Most Unique Real Estate In The World

Missile Bases

It's not like it's that big of a secret what they're like inside.

They make really, really nice homestead properties. I'd like to buy one someday. The one on the first site I linked to was featured on HGTV. AMAZING house.
    They're the ultimate in BOL properties. Some even come with the 200+kW gennies and whatnot that backed up the launch facility power!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Missile Bases

They make really, really nice homestead properties. I'd like to buy one someday. The one on the first site I linked to was featured on HGTV. AMAZING house.
    They're the ultimate in BOL properties. Some even come with the 200+kW gennies and whatnot that backed up the launch facility power!

I think I seen the house the guy built. Didn't he also use geothermal power?

Anyway, I think, too, it would be awesome to have a house in a missle silo!

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Missile Bases

Neat idea. Don't know how confident I would be in the Russkie's keeping their facts straight and taking the crosshairs off my homestead.

What good is a home that could survive WWIII if it has 3-4 5 megaton hole diggers pointed at it from across the world!:n00b:
    Of couse it woud be fantastic for just about every other SHTF scenario that can be thought up!:yesway:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Pretty standard fixer upper really. Ya, know...some paint, little curb appeal with some seed for grass, some flowers and bushes, and oh yeah, de mil the nuclear missles! (yes I know they are not still there.)
    It would be great to fertilize or mow the yard so it looks like cross hairs (target picture) from a plane.

Top Bottom