• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Normally the safety mechanism is enough to prevent a firing pin from causing a discharge when dropped.

Assuming the handgun had some kind of firing pin safety mechanism. It also didn’t mention if the father reached for the gun as it dropped to the ground. A somewhat normal reaction if you aren’t paying attention and very easy to touch the trigger if you happen to grab the gun.

I had a friend put a 9mm round through the top of his foot when he reached for a gun that fell out of his hands, he was lucky.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    How horrible!! What that young family must be going through right now. maybe Israeli style will be my choice when I'm in and around the house and family.

My anti-gun wife was watching the story with me and when it was over I first got the dead eye stare, then the "see what can happen" and then the "I better NEVER catch you with a loaded gun around my grandchildren".

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It could've been an old gun, that doesn't have the firing pin safety

Yes, it could have. There have also been many drop tests on many weapons, and most wont simply fire from being dropped, even if they are dropped directly on the muzzle. It was a good point about if he tried to catch it, etc.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    dropping a firearm is negligent to me, not accidental.
    I have to disagree with you. I don't want to argue or discuss it here because that won't change anything about this tragedy; if you want to discuss that we can start a new thread. Dropping a firearm isn't always negligent. Sure it can be negligent, but it can also be accidental, it depends on the circumstances. You can judge and say it was negligent all you want, but when the time comes that it happens to you, it just may hit you that accidents truly can happen.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I would love to know more if for nothing else than to identify the type of gun and the exact circumstances. I can understand the need to shield the family but eventually getting the truth and facts out will help prevent a repeat occurance.

The evening news was reporting that it was a .22 .... no further information on make/model. They repeated the fact that the gun was dropped but nothing else.

I also agree that accidents happen. Most of the time, it is negligent actions that are to blame but it would be unwise to say that accidents never happen.

So tragic for this family.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    My step dad was carrying a .38 derringer last year during the apple butter festival. He didn't notice that his holster was a little loose and it fell out, it did fire one shot straight up when it hit the pavement. The police caught up with him a few min later and filled out a report just in case someone was hit. Luckily nobody was hit and I'm sure glad we didn't walk around with them that day.

bmiller07

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    very sad story. cute little girl too i have a 3 year old and i couldnt imagine that happening to my daughter. from what i heard she was laying on the floor and asked her dad to put her boots on and the gun fell out of his pocket and fired upon hitting the floor and struck her in the head. i was told it was an old revolver. they did say it fell from his pocket not a holster and didnt verify if it was his coat pocket or pants pocket. if i hear more i will keep it updated. thoughts and prayers go out to that family.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I live in the area and take the daily Goshen 'rag' ( The Goshen News). Very little detail wise has been reported. From what I have heard/read, the father had the gun in his car, arrived home from work, carried it into the house in his coat pocket...no mention of a holster..., it fell out & discharged striking her in the head. That's basically all that was reported.
    I also wondered if this was an older gun or revolver without current safety features. The father is young - early 30's - so I also wondered about his experience, knowledge, training or lack there of, etc.
    One of my initial reactions was that this is very bad for 'our side.' It gives the anti-gunners more ammunition (so to speak). The Goshen area has a lot of vocal liberal, pacifist types and I am waiting for the letters to the editor, etc. With the current Senate bill 292 in Indy awaiting action, an editorial, letters to editor, etc. have already been moaning and groaning about more terrible guns affecting our kids, etc. I'm afraid that this will just raise the rhetoric.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    My prayers go out to the family. Born and raised in Goshen. I have a gut wrenching feeling that I went to school with the mom and or dad. I graduated from high school with the family friend that they interviewed. I very rarely carry with one in the chamber when I'm around my kids. This is a text book case as to why you should always have your pistol in a good holster.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    Gun quality matters (sad story)

The Elkhart County Prosecutor said in a press conference Wednesday that no charges will be filed in the death of 7-year-old Karlee Byler, and the gun that killed her was defective.

Byler died of a gunshot wound on February 25, when a gun her father had in his pocket misfired while he was helping her tie her shoe.

The Elkhart County Prosecutor's Office said the gun was defective. They say while the safety had been in place, the gun malfunctioned and fired when it fell and hit the floor.

Furthermore, officials say the gun was made by the Chinese company Norinco and that it was poorly made.

They say Karlee's father had a gun license and a constitutional right to own the gun.

Stay tuned to NewsCenter 16 both on the air and on-line for more on this story.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No way!

I've learned on INGO that guns only fire when triggers are pulled.:rolleyes::D

And . . . if you do pocket carry, please, please, please be aware of the downsides of this practice.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't know how I could live with myself if I killed my 7 year-old son like that.

Even thought the guy screwed up and is stupid, no one deserves that. That is worse than losing a child to cancer.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I don't see anywhere in the article that it says the gun was cheap or what kind of gun it was. An expensive gun can malfunction just the same as a cheap gun. It is a tragedy.

Top Bottom