• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Here's the way I've been setting up my targets the last few years. The advantages of my system are:

1. Easy to track your groups when developing a load. Different colored
    Sharpies are hard to distinguish on a black bullseye.
    2. Organized and portable.
    3. You can make any size or shape bullseye or aiming point you like.
    4.Cheap

I like to use white cardboard backer because it gives a consistent background when using open sights.

Here's my fastening and marking stuff. I attach the paper (white card stock from wal-mart, about $4/150) with staples. The Tupperware box holds everything that I need to haul up to the backstop, and fits in the large pocket of my range bag.

Next I use stick-pins to attach the bullseye to the cardstock, then trace the outline of the bullseye with a sharpie so I can put it back in the same spot after marking the bullet holes of the individual groups. Also marking the bullseye shows you the size and shape of your aim point later, if you save the target. These are 3"x3" construction paper.

Here's a pic after the first group.

Bullseye removed and holes marked.

Bullseye replaced..and ready for the next group. I rotate the bullseye to cover the holes previously shot.

After the next group...

Ready for group #3

...and after group 3

I know it seems like a PITA, but it's nice to know where they went...and when. It's easy to see at a glance I seemed to have "warmed up" by group 3.

Just another great day at the range:patriot:

I hope someone finds this idea helpful.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    That's a great looking system.

I have a piece of plywood cut in a 4' diameter (yes a bit heavy, but it was free), and use that for the backstop. When I shoot at 600yds, I either use a bunch of white paper or a sheet or 2 of large white cardboard also. I can't miss the entire target even if I screw up the shot, so I know where every shot goes. We can also have 2-4 people shooting at targets on the 1 board. Each gets their own quadrant.

I mark each grouping with a pen, but I like your colored markers a little better.

Some additional white/black construction pieces would be nice to cover up the holes after a few rounds.

These are great/cheap solutions, and quite visible from a distance.

Thanks for posting.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Colored markers is pretty smart.. thanks for sharing that idea! We typically use pen at my house like mjpell, or chalk if the target is black..

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Looks like a good idea. My personal favorite tools are; 8 1/2 x 11 paper, sharpie, stapler. I like to keep it simple and cheap as well. I will have to try out your idea of using the black card stock!

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    That's really cool - a lil more labor entensive than a target with dozen aimpoints - but still a very cool tool - :yesway:

Top Bottom