My son has/had me looking at used GM Silverados and Sierras until I learned of GM frame rust/rot...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ve been driving GM trucks since the ‘80s. My last was an ‘05 1500. I just sold it in September at 194k. Frame was solid as the buyer brought a ball peen hammer to check it. The rocker panels were essentially gone though. No visible rust anywhere else on the body. This was the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I only ever replaced an alternator and two O2 sensors. Everything else except brakes and tires were original. I forgot, I did have transmission rebuilt around 150K. One of the planet carriers exploded.
    I had no intentions of ever getting rid of it but we bought a travel trailer that I thought it could handle. It couldn’t so I bought a new 2021 2500 and sold the ‘05. Hopefully my new truck won’t have any rust issues in the time I keep it. I’d imagine the 2500 and 3500 frames are less affected since they don’t fall under all the EPA regulations.
    FWIW, my trucks are always garaged when they’re not on the road.

Matt

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Same thing I told BigRed:

2021 Ranger
    XL - SUPERCAB - 6' BOX
    4x4

BASE MSRP
    $28,925

There you go. Buy one.

There's even a $1500 rebate in some markets right now.

Nissan is an also ran.
    Pick up truck!?! That’s not a pick up truck!! THIS is a pick up truck!

Big Ford Trucks: Advantages and Specialties of 4x4 Pickup ...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe. When's the last time you wore a gun out? When's the last time you bought a new gun?
    Yep. People like me and a partner of mine with 344,000 miles on his F150 who drive trucks until they are worn out are in the minority. Most people like a change every few years. There are loads of trucks for sale with 20,000 to 100,000 miles and these are not close to worn out. People get rid of them because they want a something new.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep. People like me and a partner of mine with 344,000 miles on his F150 who drive trucks until they are worn out are in the minority. Most people like a change every few years. There are loads of trucks for sale with 20,000 to 100,000 miles and these are not close to worn out. People get rid of them because they want a something new.
    That's kind of how I am. I had the transmission rebuilt (97 Dodge Ram that I bought in 97 with 56K miles on it) back in 2015 I think. I think I've only put about 1200-1400 miles on it since then. I think it's got about 165K on it now. I figure the body will rust away before I have to do anything else to the drive train.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Frames are often made by someone other than the automaker. The Toyotas mentioned for example....components are stamped in a Hopkinsville Ky plant .... trucked to an Owensboro Ky plant to be welded into a frame and coated.....trucked across the Ohio river to the Princeton Indiana Toyota plant for assembly into a truck. At one time the Hopkinsville plant when it was owned by DANA had Toyota trucks they had to buy back from Toyota over bad frame coatings.

Not just Toyota.

The same company that makes the Toyota frame in Ky also makes the F150 and GM Colorado frames in Ky. F250 frames ar ealso made in Ky by a different company.
    A.O. Smith used to build GM truck frames. Still might, I haven't kept up with it since I'm in plastics now.

Patrick Taylor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2018
    Leitchfield Kentucky
    I have yet to work for AO Smith or Tower. I have worked for DANA , Martinrea , Magna and Metalsa all building frames or cradles for automotive companies.

When I was at DANA we built the 2wd drive S10/15 frames and I think AO Smith built the 4wd model frames.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also like to get the maximum use out of vehicles, in the process of fixing the body and repainting my 2004 F-150 Heritage. Replaced the gas tank with new and a rust free Texas bed. Still have to do door bottoms, cab corners and rocker panels next spring. I will be welding on the frame also where it is getting some bad spots. Truck is 4 X 4 and runs great and being on SS I don't see buying a newer truck when this can be fixed.
    At one time period I had 5 vehicles that had to be towed from the house before I got rid of them. One was a 1966 International Scout 4 X 4 I had bought in 1978 and kept it till around 2008. Body had almost rusted away but it ran good and 4 X 4 worked fine. Wife hated that Scout but I would not get rid of it because I will not be without a 4 X 4. Came home one day and the wife had traded off my 1995 Dodge and bought me the Ford. No more excuses I got rid of the Scout. Jim.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    Probably around 12 years ago I bought a 72 Chevy truck to restore, the bed was rusted beyond repair. I found a guy in Mounds Oklahoma which is just on the other side of Tulsa and he sold original parts for the 67-72 Chevy trucks. I bought a complete bed rust free and without hardly a dent for $800. Out West they don’t have the humidity we have so they don’t have the rust problems we do. That guy had what we would consider a gold mine, a whole field full of classic truck parts with no rust.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Back when I was more into fixing up autos, it seemed you could buy every piece to build a 64, 65 Mustang out of a catalog without having a car to begin with.

Top Bottom