• ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, air rifle that is. New York has altered it's Environmental Conservation Law to permit the use of air rifles as legal tools for the taking of all small game species which it is lawful to take with a shotgun or rimfire rifle. This includes the usual suspect critters

-- squirrel
    -- Cottontail Rabbit
    -- Fox
    -- Coyote
    -- Grouse

And a few other species like 'chucks and raccoon. It's a Gamo Bull Whisper Extreme Break Barrel .22. I've had it to the range - my local range has an air gun range - and shot it over a chronograph. Firing Crosman Premier pellets at 14.3 grains (≈927mg) it pushed the lead down field at 796 fps, or ≈243 m/s. That gives just over 20 ft*lbf at the muzzle. Of course it's no great shakes considering that here I'm sure most are using some form of powderburner for all their hunting requirements. But it should do the job for the few species I'll be taking aim at. I have the 2012/2013 NYS Sportsman License which is Big and Small game, plus fishing. I won't be taking any big game, but I'm just glad to be able to get back out into the woods again. I'll be heading out after 10/1, when the 2012 license validates.

Thanks for taking the time to have a peek. Comments are appreciated.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I have some PBA bullets, and Gamo TS-22s. I'm not sure of the weight on the PBAs, but the TS-22s are just what they say, 22 gr. I've been looking at the JSB diablo exacts, I hear very good things about them. I shop at pyramyd, buy 3 get 1 free ammo, mix n match is fine. It's literally brand new, with probably 120 pellets down the pipe. I'm hoping she breaks in and amps up the steam a little bit.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I have a Benjamin Marauder I am taking out tomorrow.

BTW, the best place to get airguns and airgun supplies is Pyramid Air. They are based in OH and ship very fast to IN. They have a VERY large selection of pellets, great reviews, and nice detailed images of their products. Highly recommend.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I have a Benjamin Marauder I am taking out tomorrow.

BTW, the best place to get airguns and airgun supplies is Pyramid Air. They are based in OH and ship very fast to IN. They have a VERY large selection of pellets, great reviews, and nice detailed images of their products. Highly recommend.

I'd love a nice PCP, but the necessary accessories are a little cost prohibitive to me at the moment. I wish NY would allow Big Game to be taken with air rifles as well. It would give me an excuse to put away my pennies and buy a PCP big bore. :)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Well, once again, getting it out up front, it's no great shakes...

However, at 15 yds the rifle still has enough energy behind it to penetrate 1.43 mm of double plated rolled steel. Out of curiosity I was looking to see just what penetration power it had at distances I anticipate taking the critters I'll have in the crosshairs. I used 3 separate pellets.

Crosman premier 14.3 gr - approximately a 3/8" dimple in the steel, no penetration.
    Gamo TS-22 22gr lead round nose - roughly the same depth of dimple, with a propensity to rip the steel but not penetrate.
    Gamo PBA Bullet 14.4 gr - punched straight through and passed through 2 pieces of my backdrop.

The backdrop was three 1/2" pieces of 4' X 4' drywall. I was impressed, considering as how it's far more than I expected out of a low-mid grade break barrel .22 air rifle. I'll report back when I get my first bushy tail or other game species. Season opener is tomorrow.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    You need about 8 foot-pounds of energy to dispatch a rabbit or squirrel. That said, there are numerous ballistic calculators for pellets online that can help you figure out what velocity and distances will be ethical to hunt with. Pyramydair has one on their site.

Most .177 pellet rifles are only going to be good to hunt with out to 50yards or so. Not just because of the energy loss, but because accuracy will be very hard to maintain in most springers. Gas piston or PCP air rifles will yield the best results. With the latter being the absolute best option for hunting. PCPs have zero recoil and are VERY accurate.

Glad to see more airgun hunters!

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'd say I'm well exceeding 8 ft*lbf. I may do some squirrelin'/chuckin' on Friday. Mother in law has 2 acres, which borders about 10 acres that belongs to her neighbor. I've been over 3 times, trying to get the rquired permission slip. I keep missing him. The Cooperative hunting areas here managed by the state are a nightmare to use. You have to check in and get a numbered parking space to hunt before you can go in the woods to hunt, and you can't check in until 7 AM. You can make reservations, but it's a PITA.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Got this feller this afternoon. Had the fusebox hidden behind a tree limb, so I took him with a vitals shot. He was about 20 yds out and 20' up an Oak.

squirrel1z.jpg

Exit

squirrel3o.jpg

Pretty chunky li'l guy. I felt sorry for him that I couldn't give him an instant lights out. He expired fairly quickly though.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Strange target, I know..but here's an 8 shot group at 40yds after rezeroing my scope. Was kinda mad at myself for the one shot, but it's still not a bad group considering.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That was yesterday afternoon before my friend stopped by to play.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Dumb question, but how many "rounds" can you shoot with one of those air rifles before the spring needs replaced? As you can tell, I know basically nothing about air rifles.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    It depends on the quality of the rifle, just like any other. Also, the frequency of use, and length of time you keep a spring piston rifle cocked will affect the lifespan. One can expect, typically ≥ 5000 shots on a heavily used spring rifle before any noticeable decrease in performance. This is provided of course routine maintenance is provided, keeping the barrel clean, the chamber and spring properly lubed, and the o-rings and seals cared for. Of course modifications to increase performance will decrease the lifespan of the gun, but parts are cheap. An entire rebuild kit for my gun's powerplant is about $50.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    It depends on the quality of the rifle, just like any other. Also, the frequency of use, and length of time you keep a spring piston rifle cocked will affect the lifespan. One can expect, typically ≥ 5000 shots on a heavily used spring rifle before any noticeable decrease in performance. This is provided of course routine maintenance is provided, keeping the barrel clean, the chamber and spring properly lubed, and the o-rings and seals cared for. Of course modifications to increase performance will decrease the lifespan of the gun, but parts are cheap. An entire rebuild kit for my gun's powerplant is about $50.
    Thanks for the reply.:)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    No problem at all man.

It's still shooting, but doesn't hold a candle to the "real thing" of course.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Ladies and gentleman

Allow me to introduce my Benjamin Rogue

imag0207b.jpg

Not your Daddy's air rifle. Sporting a .357 barrel with a 6 shot self indexing rotary magazine, this bad boy hurls 125 grain lead down range at 820 fps. It isn't as accurate as a powderburning rifle by any means, but it shoots fairly decent groups at 50 yds, where I have it zeroed for. Optics are a 3 - 12 X 44 lighted reticle by Centerpoint. Best velocity I have seen out of it is 860 fps with a 105 grain SWC. Best group with factory ammo (by me, so far) is 1.15". The first 5 shots were .623" @ 50 yds, the one shot off to the left that you see opened it up to over 1".

bestgroupairventuris.jpg

Unfortunately, only small game, predators or furbearers are legal to be taken with air rifles in NY as of yet. the rifle produces between 150 and 220 ft-lbf of energy depending on ammo used and valve timing settings.

Yes, it is 100% legal for me to own this, and yes I have a NYS Sportsman's License, which is Fishing, big and small game rolled into one.

Here's the outcome of a 158 gr LRN vs a $3 managers special 6 lb roaster chicken.

chickenexit15850yds.jpg

It has not taken any game yet, it is essentially a range queen. Currently however, the New York State Conservation Council is pushing to have Big Bore air rifle hunting for large game legalized. This is because in many areas, such as NY DEC Region 1 (where I live) being so densely populated deer season is limited to Bow hunting, with a 3 week special muzzle loading/shotgun season in January. Centerfire rifles are not only not permitted, it is a crime to carry one afield during any active deer season in these areas.

My hope is that it is legalized for Big Bores to take large game, as many states do indeed provide for legalized big game hunting with such instruments. Until then, she will remain, for the most part, a range queen.

Wish me luck with the Democratic People's Republic of New York modifying their hunting codes.

Top Bottom