• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Hey guys, I just want to show off my first precision rifle buildup a little! I started with an older Remington 700 ADL, in 30/06, that I have nothing in, but a little bit of mechanical labor I did for a guy. I decided it was going to be the one to build, because it had already had trigger work done, and it's hands down, the sweetest trigger I've ever felt! I haven't put a scale on it, but I'd say it breaks at under 2lbs, and has no creep!
    Anyhow, it had a knockoff of a mcmillan M40 stock, but it was setup for a sporter contour barrel. My intention for this build, is kind of an M40/M24 sniper rifle clone.
    After window shopping barrels I can't afford for months, I found a 26" factory Remington heavy contour barrel in .308, here on INGO for $45 shipped to my door! (Thanks Matt Pierce!).
    Then I started looking for a decent affordable stock. Never really came to be, so I decided to modify the stock I had. (I am an automotive painter by trade, and have restored my fair share of fiberglass 60's and 70's corvettes, so I figured modifying a fiberglass stock to be well within my skillset!) I started by wrapping a socket with 80 grit sandpaper, and I opened up the barrel channel to accommodate the heavy contour barrel. By the time I opened everything up enough for the heavy barrel, I had cut through the glass, inside the stock. I then decided to cut open the entire forend, and start fresh. Once I had it opened up, I hollowed it out with my dremmel, filled it completely with duraglass, (Duraglass is an automotive body filler, that's impregnated with fiberglass and resin.), then I remade the barrel channel, slightly oversized, and laid out new fiberglass mat, coated it with reisin, let it set, reshaped it again, and called it good! Then, since the stock was sporter contour, the forarm was far too skinny for a target rifle, so I built it up, with the same method, into a nice square target forarm. I haven't decided if I'll modify the butt yet, and won't likely, until I get my one piece scope rail, and decide on a permanent optic for it. That's why it's half in OD primer, and half still rattlecanned black, by the previous owner! My intention, is to paint the whole stock, with some Matte finish olive drab single stage paint, I have laying around my shop.
    Anyhow, here are a few before pics, and as of now pics! (As of now, cause she isn't done yet, but I'm getting there!) I have a total of about $400 in traded labor, (My labor is worth nothing to me, if it's saving me money!), $45 for the barrel, $50 for the barrel swap, which included taking .015" off of the shoulder of the barrel, to get the proper headspace! (Found a local smith, who works out of his little garage shop, and like to teach! I'm happy to learn!) Enjoy!
    100_4608.jpg
    100_4609.jpg
    100_4610.jpg
    100_4612.jpg
    100_5227_zpsf2e1f87a.jpg
    100_5228_zpsec576ea9.jpg
    100_5230_zps6e6daeb7.jpg
    100_5231_zps925c9bca.jpg

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I don't care if it cost $20 or $20k, if it shoots that's all that matters. I'm glad you enjoyed putting it together, putting a smile in your face is one of the things this sport is suppose to do. Please give us a range report when you get to print some groups with it!
    Good job and good looking rig

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Got to love a good project. I think thats somthing alot of women dont understand. A man has to have somthing going on at all times to tinker with.

It looks like a good start, I have plenty of budget yet still quality scopes, rings, base's etc. If I can help let me know and keep us posted.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Good start on your project. It's very satisfying when a project comes together. I'm looking for a 30 06 bbl to swap onto my Remington Sendero in 270.

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    "The essence of engineering, is using common materials in unique applications....with a purpose in mind".

Well done! Update the thread with how it shoots.....that is the measure of success

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Thanks for the kind words everybody! I'm definitely looking forward to a proper range day with it! I've gotten it on paper out my back door, but I only have about 35 yards to the field, so The range report will have to wait till I take it to a proper range! I'll definitely post some groups, (Good, bad or ugly!), when I get a chance, and will be hounding people for load data for .308, after I get dies for it!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Well, I have a terrible range report! I took her out to Hillside, and at 100, couldn't do better than a 5 inch group at 100! I pray that it's the cheapo scope that she has for now. Next time out, I'll mount a proven scope, and see what she's got! I mounted a Tasco 6-18 that I got on a trade deal, and threw it on there, for the time being. I pulled the bolt, and bore sighted it, and first round was 3 inches low, and 3 inches right. I made the proper adjustments, and put one in the bull. Next round was 2-3 inches out again! Adjusted, bullseye!, next shot was out again!

I have too many variables here! I have an un-proven, homebuilt rifle, Used barrel, (Although, I was told it only had 100 through it, by a fellow ingo-er, with a good rep), Un proven scope, and my ammo is brazilian Surplus, 7.62 NATO, that I bought 550 rounds, from another INGOer, from 1974!

I'd hate to spend money on new optics, just to find out that my barrel, or ammo is garbage!
    Any suggestions from anyone? I have a scope that I used to have on a cheap 7mm rem mag, that held zero, and held up to recoil, I plan to mount that one, and see what I've got.
    Alan, 42769vette, You are my next stop man! (When money allows, and I've confirmed the problem, that is!) You wanna trade some paint work for optics!? (I have a facebook page for my shop. I am a perfectionist, and am one of the best painters around my corner of the state!)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Would play on the bedding cause that much variance? I haven't bedded the stock yet. I'd love to buy a proper stock, but I do everything on a 4 kid budget! (Meaning, I have no money!) I figured that since the action, barrel, and scope are tight to each other, that I wouldn't have much play, just based on the stock!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That's about as good as your going to get using surplus ammo. You need to find either some good factory match ammo or get your handloads going. That type of military ammo was produced to hit "minute of man", not "minute of angle". Also check to make sure the scope base is tight a secure. An then move on to a better scope. But start with quality ammo. Good luck on your build looks good!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    That's about as good as your going to get using surplus ammo. You need to find either some good factory match ammo or get your handloads going. That type of military ammo was produced to hit "minute of man", not "minute of angle". Also check to make sure the scope base is tight a secure. An then move on to a better scope. But start with quality ammo. Good luck on your build looks good!
    Really? 5moa!? I can get 2 moa out of bulk .22!

I mounted a 20moa 1 piece base just the other day. It's torqued to spec, with lock-tite, and the rings were torqued to spec, so like I said, I'm pretty sure it's the un-proven optic, the barrel, or the ammo. I pray that it's the optic! I'd hate to have 550 rounds of garbage, or have to re-barrel...AGAIN!

I am just getting into handloading, and intend for these to be my stock of brass for a while, but I'm hoping they are good for more than just brass donors! If the ammo does prove to be my culprit, would using a bullet puller, then reloading these projectiles, with new powder and primers be doable? Would it be an improvement? Or would pulling the bullets damage them enough that I'd be unloading 5moa ammo, just to reload 6moa ammo!?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Really? 5moa!? I can get 2 moa out of bulk .22!

I mounted a 20moa 1 piece base just the other day. It's torqued to spec, with lock-tite, and the rings were torqued to spec, so like I said, I'm pretty sure it's the un-proven optic, the barrel, or the ammo. I pray that it's the optic! I'd hate to have 550 rounds of garbage, or have to re-barrel...AGAIN!

I am just getting into handloading, and intend for these to be my stock of brass for a while, but I'm hoping they are good for more than just brass donors! If the ammo does prove to be my culprit, would using a bullet puller, then reloading these projectiles, with new powder and primers be doable? Would it be an improvement? Or would pulling the bullets damage them enough that I'd be unloading 5moa ammo, just to reload 6moa ammo!?

5moa ammo from anywhere should be thrown away IMO. I would think you've got problems besides just the ammo. Even with winchester white box I was shooting 1.5-2moa out of my savage edge. And if that ammo is supposed to shoot 5moa, I'd have never shot worth a crap in the military, as I suspect most wouldn't even qualify. 5moa at 500 meters=25 inches. That's a miss.

As far as reloading them goes, yes you could pull the bullet from the factory load and reload them to your standards, but if the bullet is junk then what's the point? If you're going to do this and you have alot to do, I recommend getting a press mounted collet puller die and collet. It will make life easier. My suggestion would be to make sure your base and rings are tight and check your scope for tracking. If your moving on every shot, something is loose. If you are having to make adjustments for every shot, something is probably loose or the scope is shot.

If you're able to, take human error out of the equation. Put it in a vice and see what's going on. :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I shoot a LOT of surplus military ammo. Steel cased Russian 7.62 X 54R out of my Mosin's will shoot a hair over 2 Moa - and I am probably contributing more than a hair! 7.62 X 39 Russian, Chinese and Yugo will shoot 2 moa or better out of my AK. 30-06 Greek out of my Garands is easily less than 2 MOA. Many of my Mausers are well under 2 MOA with WW2 surplus ammo, one well less than 1 MOA with the same ammo. In fact most military arms are required to be within 2 moa to be accepted and have been for over 70 years! The fact that when you correct the scope, your rifle shoots dead on for one shot to me indicates you either have a bad scope or scope mounting problem.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    5moa ammo from anywhere should be thrown away IMO. I would think you've got problems besides just the ammo. Even with winchester white box I was shooting 1.5-2moa out of my savage edge. And if that ammo is supposed to shoot 5moa, I'd have never shot worth a crap in the military, as I suspect most wouldn't even qualify. 5moa at 500 meters=25 inches. That's a miss.

As far as reloading them goes, yes you could pull the bullet from the factory load and reload them to your standards, but if the bullet is junk then what's the point? If you're going to do this and you have alot to do, I recommend getting a press mounted collet puller die and collet. It will make life easier. My suggestion would be to make sure your base and rings are tight and check your scope for tracking. If your moving on every shot, something is loose. If you are having to make adjustments for every shot, something is probably loose or the scope is shot.

If you're able to, take human error out of the equation. Put it in a vice and see what's going on. :twocents:
    I'm really hoping that the scope being junk is the case! I wouldn't think even old mil-surp 7.62 would be THAT bad! I'll update after I mount a scope that I KNOW holds Zero!
    I'm not claiming to be Carlos Hathcock, But human error is NOT the issue here! Nor is anything being loose!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'm really hoping that the scope being junk is the case! I wouldn't think even old mil-surp 7.62 would be THAT bad! I'll update after I mount a scope that I KNOW holds Zero!
    I'm not claiming to be Carlos Hathcock, But human error is NOT the issue here! Nor is anything being loose!

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the cheap Tasco scope not being able to hold zero and not able to handle the recoil.

Hope you get it worked out and to meet your needs. :yesway:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've bet on junk optics in junk mounts as culprits dozens of times, and come away a winner in each. Factory Remington barreled actions that 'don't shoot' have paid off similarly.

Top Bottom