• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Don't think you need to seal the horn so much as the wood. Don't worry about the brass around ML stuff, its fine. All the powder measures are made of brass. I've actually seen a video of a static electric spark going around and through a pile of black powder and it not detonating. Can't light BP with static.
    An antler tip (turned down some)might make a good stopper.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don't think you need to seal the horn so much as the wood. Don't worry about the brass around ML stuff, its fine. All the powder measures are made of brass. I've actually seen a video of a static electric spark going around and through a pile of black powder and it not detonating. Can't light BP with static.
    An antler tip (turned down some)might make a good stopper.
    I think his point was that it just wouldn't be right to use modern metallic cartridges as an integral part of something made to appear historically accurate to a time well before modern metallic cartridges were popular.

BTW, good work; I'm sure it will turn out great, and you will cherish it, #1 because you made it, #2 because it's something your grandparents gave you, and they would probably love to see you getting good use out of something they bought you.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks folks.

Does the bottom look OK to you, or does it look like it needs to be blended more with the curve of the rest of the horn?

Thanks again,

Josh

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    Awesome man, just plain awesome. I am very impressed. Looks like a lot of hard work, and the finished product more then makes up for the time spent. Plus when you look at it you can think of your grandparents.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Very nice job. The way you did the top , it looks better than the tops of the ones I have seen in the stores. More authentic I guess. I bet that is how most of them looked 150 years ago.

Geri @ Cope's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Really Nice...

That is Awesome :) I like that it is "Original" and also "Catches The Eye". It is much nicer than some of the commercial stuff they try to pass off at some muzzleloading rendezvous' I have been to. Fine Job Sir!

Rescue912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    Excellent job. Kinda neat - my grandma lived in Arizona and brought my dad a set of horns that hung in our house growing up. After he moved out he was going to throw them away but I couldn't stand to see them go either. They are now hanging over the back door on the way out of my kitchen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom