• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Ok fellow rednecks, I think I have decided on a 2024 Polaris Ranger 1000 Premium (or EPS).

I'm still debating on a regular cab or a crew cab. I'm not interested in the 80hp XP for the extra money or the 570 for the savings. I'm kind of interested in the pursuit camo, but the sage is also fine.

So....talk me into or out of it. What central Indiana dealers do you like?
    You said talk you out of it !!

Look at a Honda Pioneer 1000. Gear driven transmission and shaft drive. The Polaris is a CVT and belt drive. If you push it hard and probably even if you don’t it WILL break the belt. The Polaris owners manual actually stated at one point in time you should carry a spare with you. Take that as you wish. They said it. Not me.

Last edited:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I want to trade my 2018 Ranger in on a Honda Pioneer 1000, so much more refined.
    Everyone with a Polaris wants to trade for a Honda Pioneer. Have a good friend who worked at a big Honda Powersports dealership. According to him they got 5-10 calls a week about that very thing. They did NOT take Polaris on trade.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Everyone with a Polaris wants to trade for a Honda Pioneer. Have a good friend who worked at a big Honda Powersports dealership. According to him they got 5-10 calls a week about that very thing. They did NOT take Polaris on trade.
    Not sure if that is a deal breaker but as with anything proper maintenance is needed and I have had my ranger for 5 trouble free years and have worked it pretty well. No breaky belt.. I have a spare too but I also have other spare parts for it.
    Lots of folks use them and not such an issue with belts.
    Not trying to talk you out of a Honda.. but buy what you want. Great machine. Good luck with your purchase

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Well I went with a brand new Polaris Ranger 1000 Premium in the Pursuit Camo. I have 3 hours on it already and I have yet to drive it. lol. I can't get my 14 year old off of it. :)

Now the search for the perfect windshield, rear window, roof, light bar, winch....ugh, the youtube rabbit hole will never end.
    I have this windshield and I LOVE it. Best of both world without being intrusive

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    You said talk you out of it !!

Look at a Honda Pioneer 1000. Gear driven transmission and shaft drive. The Polaris is a CVT and belt drive. If you push it hard and probably even if you don’t it WILL break the belt. The Polaris owners manual actually stated at one point in time you should carry a spare with you. Take that as you wish. They said it. Not me.
    Belts aren’t all bad, they are dead simple unlike the highly complicated DCT Honda transmission, and are easy to change.

I’ve hauled stupid loads with my Ranger, and pulled even stupider loads, belt has held up so far.

I do like Yamaha’s belt implementation better than my Polaris, it is always under tension, so you have engine breaking going down hill, and belt slippage on the Polaris wears the belt out faster.

Also when I do make the change, it won’t be getting traded in at a dealer, I know they would rape me. lol.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Belts aren’t all bad, they are dead simple unlike the highly complicated DCT Honda transmission, and are easy to change.

I’ve hauled stupid loads with my Ranger, and pulled even stupider loads, belt has held up so far.

I do like Yamaha’s belt implementation better than my Polaris, it is always under tension, so you have engine breaking going down hill, and belt slippage on the Polaris wears the belt out faster.

Also when I do make the change, it won’t be getting traded in at a dealer, I know they would rape me. lol.
    Fair enough. But the DCT doesn’t break. That I’ve ever heard of anyway. Only one I ever heard with issues was in a Talon where the owner had taken it apart to add some high performance parts. Oy! Honda uses it in sxs, four wheelers and quite a few bikes. Including the Goldwing where it outsells the manuals 4 to 1. In fact it’s hard to find a new wing with a manual anymore. Remember. You asked us to talk you out of it. lol

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Can-Am yet. I swear everyone in this area has traded in there Rangers for Can-Am units. I really have no skin in the game as I prefer dirt bikes or an ATV with or without a trailer if I need work done. I just know the local Can-Am dealer is selling them like crazy.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Can-Am yet. I swear everyone in this area has traded in there Rangers for Can-Am units. I really have no skin in the game as I prefer dirt bikes or an ATV with or without a trailer if I need work done. I just know the local Can-Am dealer is selling them like crazy.
    I did the ATV with a dumping lawn trailer back in the day, not fun to backup, especially with no power steering.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I did the ATV with a dumping lawn trailer back in the day, not fun to backup, especially with no power steering.
    I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of a UTV. I've been hauling firewood, yard clippings, and tons of other stuff using an atv with a trailer since I was 8 years old, backing up a trailer is natural to me.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Can-Am makes a very good machine for sure. A very good friend of mine has been the sales manger at my local Polaris/Can-Am dealer for more than 15 yrs. He says both machines have good and bad points to them. He could have either machine at his disposal, and he has ALWAYS brought home a Polaris for his personal machine.

I believe he had said a year or two ago that Polaris holds about 70% of the utv/sxs market. That makes them very attractive to the aftermarket side of thing. You can find just about anything for them, from multiple sources. Some of the other OEM manufactures, your forced to use the OEM accessories or have limited aftermarket sources.

I purchased my first Ranger in 2005 and have never looked back. I can't honestly say how many I've had but it's quite a few. They have never given me any issues. No broken belts or major breakdowns. I recently had to put a fuel pump in the one I have now, but it has about 8,000 miles and over 700 hours.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of a UTV. I've been hauling firewood, yard clippings, and tons of other stuff using an atv with a trailer since I was 8 years old, backing up a trailer is natural to me.
    I back a camper, livestock trailer, and a utility trailer, that ATV with tiny trailer isn’t in the same universe. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_7548.jpeg
      IMG_7548.jpeg
      537.5 KB · Views: 7

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    so I recently got a Ranger 570 sp. the size is smaller for my trails and it still goes over 60mph (I back off at 60 so who knows what it’ll get to). I recently fitted a clutch kit, forward biased A arms, lift, and 15” rims/29” tires. It looks way better. Factory rangers look like a car body on a skateboard. I also added a sound bar and a glass front windshield. If I had polycarbonate, I’d be freaked out every time I’d go to clean it or a branch drug itself across it. I plan on getting it wrapped in kryptek typhoon and adding a bed rack from thumper fab. You have my number if you want pictures and such.

Top Bottom