• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Other than sharpening this is my first knife mod of any kind. This is my chirstmas gift to my father. I had plans to make custom scales for a few folders i pickup in trade, but they were used and i really didnt like to give a used knife for Christmas. so I bought 3 kershaw skylines fixed blades for $18.99 a piece the day after Thanksgiving sale. i figured these would be a better start to my first endeavor in this. though i have only had time to make one. the others will have to be birthday gifts.

I did some research on glues and screws and every thing in between for making custom handles. i figured on these, i would just abandon the screw and epoxy the handles on with some mosaic pins. well to my surprise the tang of the knife had been hollowed out quit a bit to make it better balanced. and with so little to epoxy i figured i couldn't rely on it hold well by its self, so went the search for screws and a sleeves to fit the holes. end up not finding any thing to my liking, i had to drill the holes a little bigger to make room for the only threaded sleeves i could find locally. what a pain it is to drill 55-57 RC steel.

when handing the knife with out the scales its stone wash finish seemed very slick. so i added some jimping on the spine. i did it with a round tile blade. it is a carbide balde that fits a hack saw frame. i got mine from sears for $5 or $6 but it is like this one. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-4632-Carbide-12-Inch/dp/B005H38LOM/ref=pd_cp_hi_2"]Century Drill and Tool 4632 Carbide Grit Rod Saw Blade, 12-Inch - Amazon.com[/ame] I made little pre cuts with my dremel and cutting wheels so the tile saw had a guide on where to start.

as for the handles i seached and seached for a decent price stabilzed wood with character that wasn't $50.(more than double the knife price and not worth the price if i messed up since this is my first time with this.) I found some York gum burl for $20 with some good character. Forest Products Commission - developing the sustainable use of the States plantation and native forest resources in Western Australia. i really like the look of it. and i wanted the handle to encompass the handle not stop short like the factory scales.

here is a pic of the scales when i got them. they have water on them to make them shine. you can see the out line of the handle on the knife. i was trying to fit 2 on there but it wouldn't have worked
    20121213_180406.jpg

20121213_180312.jpg

and here is the semi finished knife i still have to more coats of tung oil on it for it to be done. it is also next to knife the way i comes from the factory.

20121221_230841.jpg

20121221_230424.jpg

20121221_230817.jpg

Top Bottom