• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A buddy of mine asked earlier in the week if I'd like to come along and goose hunt with him today being that it was the first day of the 2nd half of the season for water foul in the "South" region. I've never hunted water foul, but loved quail hunting when I was a kid, so thought this sounded fun. I added water foul to my Indiana License, got my Federal stamp, and was ready to go.

We sat in the mist and rain for about 90 minutes before we heard them come over the pond where we had set up decoys. Ended up with my first kill on a really nice bird, and was actually fortunate enough to score a good head shot on it. No signs of any BB's in the breasts when we cleaned it. These things are beautiful animals, and I was surprised at how large they were having never been close enough to actually hold one like this.

It was also fun to hunt with a dog again. This bird actually didn't end up in the water, so she didn't get to swim for it like she was hoping, but did run right to the bird when it dropped to the ground.

The trusty old Rem 870 earns another notch for me!

Buddy holding it up, and wings aren't fully extended.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not to hijack.........but kids found an old pic
    Forgot it even existed
    They used to go nuts when I'd bring critters home.
    Home from college.........they were up all night so I didn't sleep, overslept the last day of gun season grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Oh well, I liked em when they were little

mStyx78.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Nice! Give us a review of the cooked version, never had it. I wish I could thin the population here by the Ohio river, those things are thick on the trail I run on, and I can easily get within clubbing distance, they won't get outta the way.......damn Canadians!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Nice! Give us a review of the cooked version, never had it. I wish I could thin the population here by the Ohio river, those things are thick on the trail I run on, and I can easily get within clubbing distance, they won't get outta the way.......damn Canadians!

I will second that! I am so tempted to kick a field goal with the suckers all the time. They crap everywhere and don't bother to even get out of the road sometimes. I have always wondered how they taste...

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I always made jerky out of the breasts, and simmered the rest. Use the broth to make soup, rice, etc., and chop the meat into it. Goose is often compared to well-done roast beef, but I've never dried to cook a whole breast. Congrats on your first goose, it's been a few years since I've done any hunting.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks fellas! We got two really nice breasts out of it. My hunting partner gave me a recipe for a curry using goose meat. Pretty straight forward to do in a slow cooker, so we're going to give that a shot.

I was surprised at how deep red the meat was when we cleaned it. Looks a lot like a steak in terms of color, maybe just a bit more purple. Can't wait to have some, and will post a review.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Welcome to the addiction!

Unfortunately they are a lot more fun to shoot than to eat. Best way we've found to use them is to grind and mix with 10% pork fat. Add summer sausage seasoning, stuff into 2" casings and smoke to 160. Chill and slice. My wife and kids can't get enough of it that way.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Congrats on the bird! I am looking forward to hearing if you like how you cook it... If you do I'd like to hear the recipe!

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I always made jerky out of the breasts, and simmered the rest. Use the broth to make soup, rice, etc., and chop the meat into it. Goose is often compared to well-done roast beef, but I've never dried to cook a whole breast. Congrats on your first goose, it's been a few years since I've done any hunting.

You can't tell a young goose from beef. Cook it as a roast with potatoes and carrots; or my favorite, cut it in strips and make pepper steak served over rice. Old geese are a different matter, unless you like liver. They do, however, make excellent jerky. Get yourself a jerky shooter, grind it up, mix in seasonings, make jerky and enjoy.

Top Bottom