• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    They way I read it Rhino is that you OC in packs, not alone.

Try that around any "hood" being white... you'll be stopped.. I guarantee it.

I'm not talking about some rich upscale neighborhoods or malls.

I'm mainly speaking of the eastside when I was always messed with.

It's a different beast out that way.. still is today too.

Every post in this thread made by you is contradictory. This is like someone dressed like a punk OC'ing in gary and then coming on here saying "if you OC you'll be hassled". No sh*t.

It's nice to see you finally fessed up and admitted that you've not been hassled outside of the ghetto. I assume that's where you learned all the slang you've been dropping as well.

Reminds me of the scene in Face Off when the girl is complaining to Travolta about almost being raped and he replies "dress up like halloween and don't be surprised if ghouls try and get in your pants."

If you dress the same way as you type and with the same attitude I'm not surprised you get hassled. Rude ghetto thugs tend to draw negative attention. I think your open carry of a firearm was just icing on the cake.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Here are my experiences with Open Carry

I get hassled at Cabela's.

I get thanked at Northwoods.

I get asked to conceal it by the employee that works the gun counter.

I get asked what I am carrying by the guy in the check out.

I get reprimanded by the gun community,

and praised by the non-gun community.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    What no links to previous debates? :D
    Ok let’s get this started off hot and heavy, I think some people OC because they are wannabes, attention seekers, or kooks. I only see one tactical advantage to OC and that would be a quick draw. How much slower if any while CCing? I know people I wouldn't want to draw against if they were using an ankle holster and me a drop leg speed holster.

Now for the old "it makes people more aware of our 2AM RTBA". Just having your weapon displayed openly does not bring that awareness. What gets them there is your explanation of the laws and corporate policies. You may have made a few store employees become aware but did you change them to your way of thinking or did they just do as there told?

I don’t like the attention. I have better things to do with my time then to explain to everyone or take the time to pull out my license for the cops. They have better things to do also.

Just an off-wall question. Say you CC and while walking out in a dark parking lot your spider tingly goes off. You lift your shirt so the weapon is in plain sight and ready but still holstered. Would this be considered Brandishing?

The above statement is for debate purposes only. I do not claim to agree or disagree with anything I post. :D

I love the write up!:rockwoot: Here are some responses:

1. The fact that I AM open carrying makes me the real deal. Not a wannabe. CC'ing might be a more likely wannabe, as they might be CC'ing because they don't know the laws well enough to debate them. If I want attention all I have to do is smile.:cool: And I might be a kook. That is still up in the air.

2. I have all the time in the world to preserve YOUR civil liberties. Oh, mine as well.:D

3. I do believe that the brandishing laws were discussed at the OC event, but It has been a couple of days and I can't remember specific quotes.

If we look at things that weren't acceptable in the past we can see why OC'ing is a necessity. Homosexuals were not able to express their orientation in the past in public. Over the years it has become acceptable. Why you ask? Because they stopped catering to the public. In time the public began to accept it. The same case can be made for firearms. Over the years firearms have made their way out of our daily lives. You hear stories of student's bringing in grandpa's rifle of dad's shotgun for show and tell. Now this is a huge no-no because a few ignorant parents got scared. We have let society demonize firearms and stood by while it happened. Because this was allowed we have to work twice as hard to win the public's opnion again.

If you won't want to fight for your rights so be it, your children will have you to thank for it. It's not your rights that you are fighting for, but the next generation's.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think one reason it almost inevitably gets personal is people who OC tend to get treated like they are either stupid or an a**hole.
    "No reason to open carry unless you are looking for trouble"
    "You lose tactical advantage, can't understand why anyone would OC"

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I think one reason it almost inevitably gets personal is people who OC tend to get treated like they are either stupid or an a**hole.
    "No reason to open carry unless you are looking for trouble"
    "You lose tactical advantage, can't understand why anyone would OC"

Yup :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They way I read it Rhino is that you OC in packs, not alone.

That would be an erroneous assumption on your part. I have carried openly with others several times, but I'm generally by myself. I am amused at the thought of me leading a roving gang of steely-eyed people with visible pistols, causing absolutely no trouble whatsoever everywhere we go.

Try that around any "hood" being white... you'll be stopped.. I guarantee it.

That would be difficult since I'm not white. Although I admit that most people perceive me to be caucasion. But the reality is that I could not try anything around any "hood" or any other place being white.

No one claims to know or understand your circumstances. However, you clearly make assumptions (most of them wrong) about the circumstances of others. You may wish to consider that.

For instance, I could have suggested that since by your own admission you had multiple problems with police officers while carrying openly that you must have been doing something else to attract their attention. You'll note that I did not do so, as it would assume facts not in evidence, although it is a thoroughly logical hypothesis based on your story compared to my own experience and that of dozens of others of my acquaintance. Instead, I took your story for face value (for better or worse) and made no assumptions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's what I don't understand. There are no CC attacks. Ever.

I noted this in another topic last week. It's still true.

I doubt if it's going to change, either.

I also noted my own opinions on why some people seem to have such an emotional investment in impugning those who choose to carry openly in yet another topic a couple of weeks ago. In that response (I think to techres) I posited that I thought a primary factor was shame. We're immersed in a culture that continually tells us that taking responsibility for our own safety is wrong and that the means to do so (a gun) is evil. It would be difficult to reach adulthood in the last 25 years and not be exposed to that pressure.

I freely admit that it affects me too, which is why I felt like everyone must be watching me and judging me when I carried openly for the first time. I knew intellectually that I was not doing anything wrong, yet the programming persists. I still feel pangs occasionally, but additional life experience makes it far easier to manage.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think deep down most who criticize OC think we are a little off the reservation.
    Not trying to be funny, just how it looks to me.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I think deep down most who criticize OC think we are a little off the reservation.
    Not trying to be funny, just how it looks to me.

Absolutely. They look at us the same way anti's look at people who CC. Just because they don't think it's socially acceptable, each group looks down at us as a whole (those who chose to protect ourselves) or just us who OC. Those who should have our backs are pulling the same crap Anti's are.

:twocents:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I love the write up!:rockwoot:

Thank You :D

1. The fact that I AM open carrying makes me the real deal. Not a wannabe. CC'ing might be a more likely wannabe, as they might be CC'ing because they don't know the laws well enough to debate them. If I want attention all I have to do is smile.:cool: And I might be a kook. That is still up in the air.

Ok Mr Real Deal I know I am a kook. :D Thats why I CC. I disarm only when I have to pass metal detectors and thats about once every 5 years maybe. I am not an expert on the law (but I did stay at a holiday inn) but that don't mean I will not debate them. I spread the word just as much as OCers do, I am pashionate about our rights. I don't smile much because I lost my tooth a couple of weeks ago. I can't find that damn thing anywhere.

2. I have all the time in the world to preserve YOUR civil liberties. Oh, mine as well.:D

Thank You again

If you won't want to fight for your rights so be it, your children will have you to thank for it. It's not your rights that you are fighting for, but the next generation's.

I have fought for my rights, yours too by the way. My children will continue that fight because that fight will never end.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I spread the word just as much as OCers do, I am pashionate about our rights.

But you can only spread the word to those you choose. If someone is inquisitive or on the fence, OCing gives them an opening to see and approach YOU to get information.

Top Bottom