• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    My 4 year concealed permit doesn't expire until 2013. I really would like to get my LTCH, can I do that before the 365 day period? I might be missing it in the FAQ, if I am I apologize.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You don't have a "concealed permit" if you have a "License to Carry a Handgun" and in the State of Indiana you are allowed to carry openly or concealed, as you wish.

Are you asking if you can convert a 4-Year License to a LIFETIME License?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    The answer is no. There is short period of time before your 4 year LTCH expires when you can apply for the lifetime. Many have been instructed to keep their paperwork of application and expired LTCH if the renewal process takes longer than the renewal period allows.

I didn't think the renewal period was a full year, but might be wrong. I haven't recently looked it up since I already have my lifetime LTCH, but I remember that I had to wait until mine was about to expire before I could get the lifetime.

P.S. You got your current 4 year AFTER they had already started issueing lifetime licenses... any particular reason why?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I could've sworn they'd extended it from 180 to 360 days. I'm at work and don't have time to find a link to either verify or disprove right now, though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4; P.L.47-2010, SEC.2."

from - Indiana Code 35-47-2

Yup, looks like it was extended to 365 days. Thought it was 180 until just looking it up again. And, hang on to your new application. That along with your existing license should suffice until you get the new one (according to the above).

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    180 days prior to expiration, you can re-apply, no sooner.

I could've sworn they'd extended it from 180 to 360 days. I'm at work and don't have time to find a link to either verify or disprove right now, though.

"IC 35-47-2-6
    The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license.

Yup, looks like it was extended to 365 days. Thought it was 180 until just looking it up again. And, hang on to your new application. That along with your existing license should suffice until you get the new one (according to the above).

The new law went into effect July 1. It's 365 days now.

My error....I thought I heard that it was extended as well, but when I looked on the State Police website a few minutes ago, it still says 180, so I figured I overheard something from the ol' rumor mill at some point.

I retract my previous statement.....;)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    It actually is in the FAQ.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

INGO FAQ said:
    When can I renew my current license?
    Within 180 days of your current license's expiration date and not before.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_..._lifetime.html
    After July 1, 2010, this will be extended to 365 days.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_2n...s_now_law.html

I didn't even have to update it to notate the law change! It was already in there! :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    This is very possible. Just like the lifetime hunting and fishing licenses that use to be available...when the state wakes up and realizes the revenues they are losing, they do away with lifetime LTCH. :twocents:
    But not in the immediate future. No need to scare him (yet). It's just been a very persistent rumor since about the day after the lifetime LTCH became available. ;)

Last edited:

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I wonder if the ones that already have theirs will be -grand-pa-ed " in , I imagine that once given, cannot be taken, at least without p/offing a bunch of voters...

Ime out.........:cool:

Top Bottom