• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Since the ATF doesn't consider black powder firearms to be firearms, does NFA apply to them? Say for instance I wanted something to do and took an old muzzleloader and chopped the barrel down short would I be commiting a felony? I'm not planning on doing it, just a thought I had.

BlueEagle

Master
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This sounds like exactly the kind of thing that you'll end up mistakenly spending a couple of years in prison for, before somebody decides that is indeed perfectly legal, and they let you go with a pat on the back and a "Sorry bud!"

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    They do sell black powder Cap & ball pistols that you can put shoulder stocks on legally. But do not know about cutting down a long gun... In theory you get the same thing. But do not know if legally it is the same thing..

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    They sell "Blanket Gun Kits" which are basically SBR's in a muzzleloader fashion albeit flintlock. I would not even think about doing this with an inline that takes a modern primer. I think that would be a "no no".

I do not know???.. The more I have looked into this, the ATF does not consider black Powder to be a firearm. I E you can buy an inline with out a background check.

But I think before I did such a project I would get a piece of paper in my hands Just in case... May save some explaining time... or heck just buy one of the Blanket Guns or Coach Shotguns of Pedersoli and get the gun with out the extra paper work..

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Contacted the ATF and inlines and regular muzzleloaders are ok to chop up, because they aren't firearms in the eyes of the government. However, I don't plan on doing it. If YOU do, get the ATF to send an email or a letter of approval just to be safe.

IANAL, I didn't sleep in any brand hotel last night, my :twocents:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh hellz, that's about like asking tax advice from the IRS. What someone there says probably depends as much on the day of the week and the phase of the moon as which particular agent you get on the line, and getting a letter from them gives you something to make a paper airplane from during the hearing. If there isn't case history, you're putting your life in the hands of someone whose job likely is to get as many people as possible convicted of something.

Top Bottom