• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    learn something every day---checked Nikons site and it's not listed. Mine is nikoplex but might consider that reticle for a 204 Ruger cz527 I've got.

Have you got the wind dopped with it also?

Steve

one, i wouldnt call myself a hunter, first deer just a week ago, i am more a shooter... i like to take a gun to its limits and play...

as for wind... well vette and i shot on a day with 20 mph full value winds sometimes over the top of the rounds.... lets just suffice to say that muzzleloader bullets do not like the wind... and its not a matter of knowing how far off your bullet will drift... they drift up down left right and sometimes not at all.... i shot 5 shots at 200 yards that could be covered with a fist two days after i could barely hit a sheet of plywood at that distance.... so lets just say yes i have the wind doped and if its not a minor adjustment, then i am staying inside of 100

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    one, i wouldnt call myself a hunter, first deer just a week ago, i am more a shooter... i like to take a gun to its limits and play...

as for wind... well vette and i shot on a day with 20 mph full value winds sometimes over the top of the rounds.... lets just suffice to say that muzzleloader bullets do not like the wind... and its not a matter of knowing how far off your bullet will drift... they drift up down left right and sometimes not at all.... i shot 5 shots at 200 yards that could be covered with a fist two days after i could barely hit a sheet of plywood at that distance.... so lets just say yes i have the wind doped and if its not a minor adjustment, then i am staying inside of 100

good point to clarify i will not shoot long range muzzleloader in much wind. that day the safest spot for a deer on my farm was right behind the target

wolfman

Master
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfman
    Wash and wax it every time you shoot it, and "NEVER" put it away dirty, and you will get tired of stuffing lead in it, Wayyyyyyy before you wear the bore out

so many errors with this post...

first how do you know he will EVER get tired of stuffing lead in it... you have no idea how vette and i shoot the BP guns.... two back to back 12 hour days on the range just to prepare for THIS season.... over 150 rounds in TWO trips to the range.

You confirm my point right here. You want me to believe that 150 rounds of soft lead or plastic sabots down a rifle bore, no matter what the time period, is a lot? Give me a break, I've seen that press on your bench and the buckets of empty brass in your garage, I bet that your ML is the only gun you own that gets fewer than 100 rounds through it per 12 hour range outing.

two, why would you wax the bore? the only time i have ever seen wax used in a bore is during parkerizing.... maybe lube it to prevent corrosion, but then again we are talking about wearing down the rifleing NOT corrosion resistance here.

You have me here, sort of. When you use true black powder in a front stuffer, the prefered cleaning method, is hot water, dish soap, a 5 gal bucket, and a tube of bore butter (the wax). Washing and waxing (coating the bore with bore butter) will season the inside of the barrel similar to the way you season a cast iron frying pan. When cleaned properly, the bore will stay slick and shiny for ever, neglect the cleaning, and you will end up with rust and pits deep enough to ruin it in a matter of months. Also, you should never use a petroleum based lube in the bore of a ML it can cause a hang or mis fire if the powder gets soaked with oil.

^^^ also takes care of your putting away dirty comment^^^^^

second, do you have any data on wearing out the bore????

Only that I have NEVER heard anyone say, or read any article, documenting a ML bore that had been worn out, only how neglect had ruined them.

now my answer....

the throat is what erodes over time and also quicker depending on how hot the load you are shooting is and is the "measure" of a barrels remaning life... muzzleloaders dont have a throat since the bullet is always engaged in the rifling and never makes a jump to the lands... and since you always use a patch of some sort that is significantly softer than the steel the barrel is made out of, i believe the life of the barrel would be indefinate.... that is unless there is some unforseen wear in the chamber area where the heat of the powder creates some sort of erosion on the rifling, but even then i dont think it would effect accuracy all that much.

Good info and I agree, but still think you will get tired of stuffing lead in one before you wear its bore out. I know you have a couple of modern guns that are close to, if not over 10,000 rounds, and I will bet your ML doesn't have much over 1,000 through it.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfman
    Wash and wax it every time you shoot it, and "NEVER" put it away dirty, and you will get tired of stuffing lead in it, Wayyyyyyy before you wear the bore out

You confirm my point right here. You want me to believe that 150 rounds of soft lead or plastic sabots down a rifle bore, no matter what the time period, is a lot? Give me a break, I've seen that press on your bench and the buckets of empty brass in your garage, I bet that your ML is the only gun you own that gets fewer than 100 rounds through it per 12 hour range outing.

You have me here, sort of. When you use true black powder in a front stuffer, the prefered cleaning method, is hot water, dish soap, a 5 gal bucket, and a tube of bore butter (the wax). Washing and waxing (coating the bore with bore butter) will season the inside of the barrel similar to the way you season a cast iron frying pan. When cleaned properly, the bore will stay slick and shiny for ever, neglect the cleaning, and you will end up with rust and pits deep enough to ruin it in a matter of months. Also, you should never use a petroleum based lube in the bore of a ML.

Only that I have NEVER heard anyone say, or read any article, documenting a ML bore that had been worn out, only how neglect had ruined them.

Good info and I agree.

as for getting tired of shooting.... you are right, the muzzloader does see the lowest volume of rounds in a range session but i dont quit because i get tired of loading her.... and if i have this gun 30 years at 300 rounds a year thats 9000 rounds.... probably wont even touch barrel life if my thoughts are correct...

as for the wax, i do "season" mine with bore butter, as well as running a mop with butter on it 5 times between every shot on the range, and i can fire up to 4 shots w/out cleaning and still have roughly the same poi so it works in the field as well... kudos to the omega z5..... i just never considered bore butter WAX, although i believe it is made from beeswax so you have me there as well, sorta.

i agree that poor maintance will ruin a bore long before erosion will, that just wasnt the topic at question.

and just to toss it out there... here is a pic of ONE day at the range...

all packages being empty of course :rockwoot:

rangetrash.jpg

Top Bottom