• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Found these today in the wooded lot next to my house. What kind of mushrooms are these? Figured they are edible since the squirrels or raccoons haven’t eaten them

Attachments

• F9FD1007-8EB9-44BB-B9A0-AAAC459E0CD1.jpeg
      F9FD1007-8EB9-44BB-B9A0-AAAC459E0CD1.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 32
    • 76F923B9-F6FF-46C1-BA2D-ACBA60A2BADA.jpeg
      76F923B9-F6FF-46C1-BA2D-ACBA60A2BADA.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 31

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest downloading the app "Seek" it is funded by Nat Geo and Cali academy of Science. Free to use and it works like a little Pokedex. You just take a couple pictures of the plant, fungus, or animal in question and it more often then not gives you a positive ID. Very handy for foraging, shrooming, or to entertain your kids while you are in the woods with them!

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Maybe five years ago, but the future is now. Apps require the same amount of base level intelligence as looking something up in a book. The information you retrieve is only as good as the information you put in. A little hard for some of the outlying generations, i know.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Maybe five years ago, but the future is now. Apps require the same amount of base level intelligence as looking something up in a book. The information you retrieve is only as good as the information you put in. A little hard for some of the outlying generations, i know.
    Because everything on the internet is true.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Umm, no. I work in natural and cultural history for a living, and spend too much time online correcting the misidentification that apps provide. In most things, not that big of a problem. If you get the wrong warbler or oak tree or liverwort, no one dies usually. But getting the wrong Amanita could be deadly. It tells me something useful that my youngest daughter (a professional mycologist, and certainly not old) doesn't trust apps for ID.

But you do you.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Not a great angle, but it looks like Oyster Mushrooms.

Vertical gills that that run down the stem. Looks like it on the top mushroom
    I agree. We have them growing on a tree stump out our back door. The wife watches that tree stump and just harvested and canned 15 half pints of them. This stump produces mushrooms at the oddest of times, any time it stays above 45° for a few days we see growth.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not a mushroom eater, and gennerly not a picker, but.
    I was riding in the way way back, and found these. I can most likely fill up a bushel basket and send them to my brothers.
    20230819_142029.jpg

Ok mushroom guys what are these, please.

And if edible do I dry them? And whats the easiest lol way to do that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I'm not a mushroom eater, and gennerly not a picker, but.
    I was riding in the way way back, and found these. I can most likely fill up a bushel basket and send them to my brothers.
    View attachment 293822

Ok mushroom guys what are these, please.

And if edible do I dry them? And whats the easiest lol way to do that.
    I can't say. I have a suspicion, but... I will point out that Indiana has a mushroom that is known as 'Death Caps'. Your pic isn't a Death Cap, but... Please don't ask me what a volva is.

"Amanitas can be generally identified by the presence of pale gills, dry caps, and a universal veil that creates a volva."

Top Bottom