• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have a relatively limited selection of scopes. I have a Kahles k16i and a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. I have them both in Bobro quick release mounts. I hunted deer last year with my accupoint on my 458, but this coming year, I may switch it out to the Kahles, as my shots are all less than 150 yards and having a true 1x is pretty awesome if they run within 20 yards. The accupoint is fairly bright but its contrast and clarity doesn't come close to the Kahles. Anyhow, I wanted an additional scope to fill a few less important niches:

- I wanted something with higher power in order to better bench test my rifles and ammunition for accuracy. 9 isn't quite optimal for me. So a little more magnification and a relatively fine reticle.
    - I wanted something that potentially I could use for coyotes on one of my 223 rifles. Reasonable low light performance and more magnification.
    - The potential to be a reasonable match as a backup scope on my Browning A-bolt ii 300 wsm if used for elk, caribou, antelope. This is where the low range of the zoom is important.

So, I summed it up that I wanted reasonable quality optics, but did not want to pay for Kahles level. I want good low light performance. I am less concerned about weight. I want the ability to get a little higher magnification, but still have a usable low end zoom range. I want a reticle that is fine enough to use on paper to accuracy test.

I came up with the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14.5x50 with illuminated fine duplex reticle. They are on sale right now, given that they released the replacement, the vx3i. I can get one for $800 shipped. That will give me a decent quality scope, not awful price, good low light performance, it's not light but not overly heavy at 18.8 oz, and the reticle is very fine, plus the illum option should help with target acquisition. I AM concerned about having a 4.5 as a low limit and not having any subtensions marked on the reticle though.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a relatively limited selection of scopes. I have a Kahles k16i and a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. I have them both in Bobro quick release mounts. I hunted deer last year with my accupoint on my 458, but this coming year, I may switch it out to the Kahles, as my shots are all less than 150 yards and having a true 1x is pretty awesome if they run within 20 yards. The accupoint is fairly bright but its contrast and clarity doesn't come close to the Kahles. Anyhow, I wanted an additional scope to fill a few less important niches:

- I wanted something with higher power in order to better bench test my rifles and ammunition for accuracy. 9 isn't quite optimal for me. So a little more magnification and a relatively fine reticle.
    - I wanted something that potentially I could use for coyotes on one of my 223 rifles. Reasonable low light performance and more magnification.
    - The potential to be a reasonable match as a backup scope on my Browning A-bolt ii 300 wsm if used for elk, caribou, antelope. This is where the low range of the zoom is important.

So, I summed it up that I wanted reasonable quality optics, but did not want to pay for Kahles level. I want good low light performance. I am less concerned about weight. I want the ability to get a little higher magnification, but still have a usable low end zoom range. I want a reticle that is fine enough to use on paper to accuracy test.

I came up with the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14.5x50 with illuminated fine duplex reticle. They are on sale right now, given that they released the replacement, the vx3i. I can get one for $800 shipped. That will give me a decent quality scope, not awful price, good low light performance, it's not light but not overly heavy at 18.8 oz, and the reticle is very fine, plus the illum option should help with target acquisition. I AM concerned about having a 4.5 as a low limit and not having any subtensions marked on the reticle though.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Price range?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just put a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 on my coyote rifle. I haven't had a chance to get it out yet but it appears to be a very good option for the money and was designed for your purposes (SHV = Shooter/Hunter/Varminter). Nightforce quality with a much improved illumination control compared to their NXS line. Front focal plane is a huge benefit as once you know your dope the reticle will provide you with accurate hold overs regardless of which magnification you're on. I'll have a better grasp of it once I get it out to the farm but I'm pleased with it thus far. They run $1250

Stop sign is approximately 100yds, looking through the front window of my living room.

P1080227_zps8t0ulxti.jpg

Only complaint so far is that only the center of the reticle is illuminated. I'd prefer the entire thing.

P1080228_zpsjxy31iz9.jpg

The Vortex PST line is another good option and available with front focal plane as well.

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Price range?

Well, I was really wanting to stay sub $1000. Like I said, the Leupy is $800 on sale. I know it's not the BEST choice for any of my intended uses, but I thought it would be reasonable for all. Jack of all master of none maybe. If I wanted a strictly target scope, I would buy a fixed power I think, if I wanted a varmint scope I would buy a higher power with a varmint reticle, and if I wanted the best hunting scope for my 300 wsm I would probably get a 3x12 with subtensions.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never regretted saving up and buying better quality glass. The Nightforce was a significant downgrade from the Vortex Razor Gen2 I had on the rifle, the scope was just too heavy for my now mangled up shoulder.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I've never regretted saving up and buying better quality glass. The Nightforce was a significant downgrade from the Vortex Razor Gen2 I had on the rifle, the scope was just too heavy for my now mangled up shoulder.

No, I totally agree. I don't regret the $2200 I spent on that 1-6 Kahles for a minute over the downgrade of the Vortex Razor Gen2. I got better glass, better fov, and it's lighter. I had very specific criteria when I bought that one though and a very specific purpose. In this case, I was sorta trying to get a "doall" placeholder while I save up to commit to better scopes that are more tailored to each option. Hmmmm.... might be counter-productive.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Well, I was really wanting to stay sub $1000. Like I said, the Leupy is $800 on sale. I know it's not the BEST choice for any of my intended uses, but I thought it would be reasonable for all. Jack of all master of none maybe. If I wanted a strictly target scope, I would buy a fixed power I think, if I wanted a varmint scope I would buy a higher power with a varmint reticle, and if I wanted the best hunting scope for my 300 wsm I would probably get a 3x12 with subtensions.

On sale does not mean its a good deal. If your wanting something south of 1k, and dont want to go with the PST, then this would be my backup choice.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X50 RZ800 522631-9982-000 Like New Demo 522631-9982-000 - EuroOptic.com

Either this scope, or the PST would be a major upgrade (and cheaper than the sale price) that the Leupold you mentioned. The PST is going to be more durable than the Zeiss, and have better features. The Zeiss is going to have better glass. Between these 2 you just need to decide what is most important to you.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    On sale does not mean its a good deal. If your wanting something south of 1k, and dont want to go with the PST, then this would be my backup choice.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X50 RZ800 522631-9982-000 Like New Demo 522631-9982-000 - EuroOptic.com

Either this scope, or the PST would be a major upgrade (and cheaper than the sale price) that the Leupold you mentioned. The PST is going to be more durable than the Zeiss, and have better features. The Zeiss is going to have better glass. Between these 2 you just need to decide what is most important to you.

How would either of these be a MAJOR upgrade? I have nothing against the PST or the Zeiss. I would like an illuminated reticle though.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Look through as many as you can. Lots of awesome options in the $800-1k range.

Some others to look at around $1k:

Sightron siii
    Vortex PST
    Burris Veracity and XTR II
    SWFA 3-15
    Leupold vx6 if you can find a reticle you like for a good deal
    Zeiss HD5
    Meopta meostar
    Trijicon accu point or accupower
    Leica ER
    Swarovski z3
    Steiner gs3

Those are the choices I'd be looking at with your budget.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Look through as many as you can. Lots of awesome options in the $800-1k range.

Some others to look at around $1k:

Sightron siii
    Vortex PST
    Burris Veracity and XTR II
    SWFA 3-15
    Leupold vx6 if you can find a reticle you like for a good deal
    Zeiss HD5
    Meopta meostar
    Trijicon accu point or accupower
    Leica ER
    Swarovski z3
    Steiner gs3

Those are the choices I'd be looking at with your budget.

Ok, so it seems like I am seeing a general distaste for the VX3, since you mention the VX6? I know I could get a non-illum reticle for less, but I like the illum on my other 2 scopes. I have an accupoint and I think it is okay....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I sure as hell wouldn't pay $800 for a VX3. But it's your money. Check out everything you can on that list, listen to the other informed guys on this forum, and make an informed decision.

Note.....I passed on the Trijicon as well with my recent scope purchase. Although, I don't think it's a bad scope, and it's worth the money to get into one if it matches your criteria and looks good to your eye.

Ok, so it seems like I am seeing a general distaste for the VX3, since you mention the VX6? I know I could get a non-illum reticle for less, but I like the illum on my other 2 scopes. I have an accupoint and I think it is okay....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I sure as hell wouldn't pay $800 for a VX3. But it's your money.

x2. The the VX3 scope was in the 500 dollar ish pricerange, it would be a competitor. The the 800 on sale, thats just crazy for the quality level you can get for 800 dollars these days.

Either of the scopes would be a major upgrade in glass quality.

The PST would be a major upgrade in features, and warranty/customer service. It is an illuminated scope aswell.

Either would be a major upgrade in durability.

Neither have a pretty gold ring which is important to a lot of people.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have that same Trijicon and was pretty happy with the optic clarity for the price until I got the Vortex HS-T. For what I paid for the Trij I think it should be noticeably better. The PST would probably make me sell the Trij.

Maybe Phylo has a dirty window or maybe the picture doesn't show up as well online but a stop sign at 100 yards should look better imo. I might need to range something at 100 and take a picture myself for comparison. I do like that reticle a lot though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Maybe Phylo has a dirty window or maybe the picture doesn't show up as well online but a stop sign at 100 yards should look better imo. I might need to range something at 100 and take a picture myself for comparison. I do like that reticle a lot though.

I wouldn't consider that picture to be a fair and accurate representation of the scope. I had it balanced on the back of the couch, looking through cheap, 20 year old windows that aren't sealed and on a dreary, rainy day. I can try to get a better pic at some point but I'm pretty familiar with good glass and I'm pleased with this one for the price.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    How good does the glass have to be to shoot deer under 200 yards?
    BTW, I do think a scope should compliment a rifle in looks, and IMHO some rigs look best with those crappy gold ringed things.
    On an MSR..........bolt on whatever, you're not gonna screw up the looks/lines.
    Movers.............yeah a 1X or close to it makes 'em easy.
    Paper at 100 for load testing/fun IMHO mandates a min of 12X.
    I'd get something from 1-5 to 2-7 for hunting deer.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Nearly every scope thus far mentioned is a complete waste of time. Leupould's 4.5-14 is among their worst most unreliable efforts. Same with anything Sightron save their fixed 6x, everything Vortex save the current generation PST maybe, and the SWFA offering. Zeiss is the biggest joke of all.

What is the basis of your attraction to magnification? For a utility scope, everything that matters is inversely correlated with magnification.

Top Bottom