Multi-tools...what are you carrying, and how?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    My personal multi-tool journey has made a U-turn once again, as I'm back to carrying a full-size Leatherman Blast in a belt pouch. I've been pocket-carrying a Leatherman Squirt and/or a Vic Classic for a couple years, and before that it was a Sidekick for quite awhile, until the pocket clip broke. With the exception of the Sidekick, these were all carried in addition to a folding knife with belt clip.

I love the utility of carrying a full-size multi-tool, but I've never found one that's "just right", nor have I settled on the best way to carry it. I'm just curious what/how others are carrying. Feel free to share pics and stories. After all, that's why we're here!

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm old school and go back and forth between these.
    Screenshot_20240105-092712_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231121-070228_Facebook.jpg

Seriously though, not edc but battle belt, range bag, and working on projects, I am really impressed with a recent purchase of a SOG "power pliers". The pliers are not a simple hinge, they have gears giving you a mechanical advantage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I prefer the mini tools. Less obtrusive and I dont ever need to do heavy duty stuff. I started with a Leatherman Juice (long discontinued) and upgraded to this. Its only months old and it looks like its so popular they cant keep it in stock.
    Only downside is for a full philips screwdriver you also have to carry philips bit with it. It doesnt have one onboard but you can insert one of the 2" bits in a special grip in the head and it works great.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm old school and go back and forth between these.
    View attachment 334444 View attachment 334445

Seriously though, not edc but battle belt, range bag, and working on projects, I am really impressed with a recent purchase of a SOG "power pliers". The pliers are not a simple hinge, they have gears giving you a mechanical advantage.
    Seriously, I could see carrying the ruler knife and the other contraption would be a great paperweight for a desk as a conversation starter!

Are either of these available or were they one-off builds?
    --Rick

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I prefer the mini tools. Less obtrusive and I dont ever need to do heavy duty stuff. I started with a Leatherman Juice (long discontinued) and upgraded to this. Its only months old and it looks like its so popular they cant keep it in stock.
    Only downside is for a full philips screwdriver you also have to carry philips bit with it. It doesnt have one onboard but you can insert one of the 2" bits in a special grip in the head and it works great.

I was actually looking at those last night. They look interesting, it's nice to hear a real-world review!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was actually looking at those last night. They look interesting, it's nice to hear a real-world review!
    My only beef is it has two knife blades. (one smooth one serrated) Seems redundant. And some of the tools they chose I question.

Then again I pretty much only use the knife, pliers/wire cutters, scissors, and the phillips bit I carry with it. And I went with this because all the other small pocket tools switched to a weird pointy blade that only engages half of the phillips screw head to save space. And those will bend if you try to loosen a tight screw.

Just wish the scissors were better.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Leatherman Wave in a ballistic nylon sheath with 2 side pockets - one has a lighter and one has a flashlight. I always have it on me except when sleeping or playing volleyball. When the Native American Museum in DC wouldn't let me in with it (the only museum on the Mall that wouldn't), I just didn't go in.

Really like the tiny screwdriver and the diamond file. I can sharpen everyone else's knife, but not my own!

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    My only beef is it has two knife blades. (one smooth one serrated) Seems redundant. And some of the tools they chose I question.

Then again I pretty much only use the knife, pliers/wire cutters, scissors, and the phillips bit I carry with it. And I went with this because all the other small pocket tools switched to a weird pointy blade that only engages half of the phillips screw head to save space. And those will bend if you try to loosen a tight screw.

Just wish the scissors were better.
    I agree, every company seems to be in a race to put the most tools in the smallest package. I'd rather they just put in the essentials, and make them quality tools. Give me a knife, flat and phillps screwdrivers, scissors, and a good set of pliers. If I need more than that, I can go get a real tool, lol!

Top Bottom