• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Somehow, I managed to trash the piston in my chainsaw. I'm trying to rebuild it, wish me luck. I can't figure out how to get the brake off...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It was preventing me from getting the cylinder out. Figured out that it was reverse threaded onto the shaft. I got it rebuilt and it runs well except for the oiler that I managed to break. Got a new one coming this week.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It was preventing me from getting the cylinder out. Figured out that it was reverse threaded onto the shaft. I got it rebuilt and it runs well except for the oiler that I managed to break. Got a new one coming this week.
    By the looks of that hockey puck, I would think you had to hone the jug, right?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yes. I used pvc pipe and taped sand paper to it and used it to clean the inside of the cylinder.
    I don't mean to be Debbie Downer but I don't hold out hope for a long life without replacing the cylinder.

I've been very happy with my 6 yo 271 but a couple seasons ago I had to replace the oil pump after I burned up a bar learning that it wasn't working.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not. I didn't want to pay someone to rebuild it, so I chose to go the cheapest route possible. If/when I burn the piston up again, I'll replace everything since I know how to rebuild it myself.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm not. I didn't want to pay someone to rebuild it, so I chose to go the cheapest route possible. If/when I burn the piston up again, I'll replace everything since I know how to rebuild it myself.
    I am not a 2-stroke expert. I think you'll see it smoke and not make max rpm, all depending on how toasty it got. If it doesn't smoke and revs about normal then there is hope.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The broken oiler was my fault. There's a large "washer" that goes between the oiler and chain brake. I didn't put it on before putting the brake on which allowed the brake to crush the oiler.

Top Bottom