• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mcolson181

Marksman
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    SE Indiana
    I've been looking to get some MRE's but it seems all the places I look are either sold out or more expensive. Anyone know some good places to look that are reasonable in price?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Same here, I never buy because they are too expensive it seems. I found some freeze dried dinners at Gander Mountain in the camping section that look pretty good and seemed reasonably priced. I still wouldn't mind getting smaller field kits though, like true military MRE's.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Depends on what you consider a reasonable price. I think they could be found for $60 a case at the last 1500. Probably $65 a case would be normal there.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Depending on where you live,

McCullough Military Surplus has both A and B cases for $60 when you buy two.

They are located at

40 East National Ave
    Brazil, IN 47834

(812) 448-8882

I just talked to them and they have stock..

TJ

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Group buy for MRE's fetched a price of $56 per case. If you are getting them for $60 per case somewhere that is pretty good. $4 more for not having to organize 100 people is a pretty good cost:benefit in my eyes.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    60 has been the average rate that I can find for some time now...

I wouldn't exactly stockpile them though. They are NOT good for your body at all...

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I would say, look on amazon, but be careful, not all of those are the military MREs styled ones. As another already stated, some of the freeze dried food is a lot better then the MREs. Find a couple foods, or MREs that are the ones you like and start saving those. If you are getting the cases, they are usually mixed meals, and I know some will eat anything, but there are some in there that I will not eat, so I try to pick and chose when I am getting my rations like that. Just my 2 cents.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would say, look on amazon, but be careful, not all of those are the military MREs styled ones. As another already stated, some of the freeze dried food is a lot better then the MREs. Find a couple foods, or MREs that are the ones you like and start saving those. If you are getting the cases, they are usually mixed meals, and I know some will eat anything, but there are some in there that I will not eat, so I try to pick and chose when I am getting my rations like that. Just my 2 cents.
    LOL

I'm sure surplus stores have PILES of omelette MREs....:):

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Have some imodium and fiber handy. Which one you need will depend on your system and the meal you ate. Usually, however, one or the other is needed. :D:yesway:

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I've had really good luck from eBay.

I agree with the1kidd03, you don't want to live on those things. The military considers them "short term meals", and they mean it. I keep a case on hand in case of bad weather induced power-outages.

Maybe if you mixed them with White Castle's the effects would balance each other out? (Gack)

DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    I would advise against getting cases of mre's as stated earlier there are meals that i would rather die than eating, omelette, and when i was in the service i would usualy strip my mres down to the entree and the snack. hot sauce is a must. sportsmans guide or cheaper than dirt will allow you to buy the entrees and snack seperately wich IMO is better. but in all honesty, my last deployment i only ate the mres when I ran out of Mountain House meals. wich are also available in builk and taste 300 times better. on a side note, i was stationed in alaska, and we would get mres in a white bag. they are arctic MRE and are freeze dried and tasted better and didnt mess with my system as much. but still it was an mre. just some food for thought.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been looking to get some MRE's but it seems all the places I look are either sold out or more expensive. Anyone know some good places to look that are reasonable in price?

If you have a buddy that is Active Duty military, National Guard, Reserve or a military retiree, you can have them buy them and/or order them from the Ft. Harrison commissary.

I don't remember the pricing, but you can buy them by the case or by individual meals.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    LOL

I'm sure surplus stores have PILES of omelette MREs....:):

All the newer cases that I have seen, no longer have the omelet, but have the vegetarian ones. Honestly, i liked the omelet one better, barely.

There are plenty of places that sell the freeze dried foods, or even the way to make your own freeze dried, or canned foods yourself. Would suggest those over the MREs, have eaten more then I could count in the years that I have been in.

GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    All the newer cases that I have seen, no longer have the omelet, but have the vegetarian ones. Honestly, i liked the omelet one better, barely.

There are plenty of places that sell the freeze dried foods, or even the way to make your own freeze dried, or canned foods yourself. Would suggest those over the MREs, have eaten more then I could count in the years that I have been in.

The vegetarian pastas are actually pretty good. I put some hot sauce in one of those and it was freaking delicious. Is it weird that I like them? :):

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The vegetarian pastas are actually pretty good. I put some hot sauce in one of those and it was freaking delicious. Is it weird that I like them? :):
    It's not weird that you like them. Heck I "like" them. They aren't bad really, but when you practically LIVE on them week after week...:n00b:

A lot of guys would mix everything together and said with that and the hot sauce it was all more bearable.

Top Bottom