• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I've came across a good deal on a huge lot of MRE's with a manufacture date of 2011... Are they still good and would you buy them? If you'd buy them what would you pay per case? Any info would be appreciated!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Depends entirely on how they were stored. If in a cool temperature stable environment then they are just fine. If in a hot environment then they will be pretty flavorless.

They don't really go bad per se, they just lose taste and nutritional value. They still have caloric value.

IF they were stored below 55f and above freezing, I would pay upwards of $45 a case for them. If they were stored in Bubba's garage or some aboveground (Ameriqual stores theirs in an old mine in Marengo Indiana) warehouse then maybe $35-40 a case. If you are talking about a pallet load (48 cases) then knock $5-10/case off what I quote above.

If you need someone to go in with you on a larger quantity like that, I might be interested.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    MREs are typically only considered good for 6 years, if stored properly like shibumiseeker said. I recommend Wise food, 25 year shelf life and the stuff actually taste pretty good. There are other long term storage food companies. You can do a search on the internet. Some companies will even send you free samplers.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Shibumiseeker is pretty knowledgeable in this area.

I know if they are kept in a cool dark place they will last a lot longer than the "best by" date. I generally use them for camping and trekking with emergency use as a secondary purpose.

Here is a link that might be useful.
    MREInfo.com - MRE Shelf Life

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I had to eat them for a year in Iraq.....you either got the runs or were plugged up for 3 days... It wasn't so much the MRE's fault, but they did earn the definitions of:
    MRE = My Rectal Enemy or MRE = Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.....

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I had to eat them for a year in Iraq.....you either got the runs or were plugged up for 3 days... It wasn't so much the MRE's fault, but they did earn the definitions of:
    MRE = My Rectal Enemy or MRE = Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.....

MRE = Meals Rarely Edible

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    Why is everybody always hating on MRE's? They weren't that bad. Some of them were pretty good, at least as good as the field rations. Cut open the entree sideways, mix in the cheese and hot sauce, crumple up your crackers, dump them in and stir, Voila! Take the cocoa powder, dump in your creamer and sugar, pour in just the right amount of water, stir and ranger pudding is served. C'mon you guys liked that chocolate chip mint pound cake thing right?

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    127 degrees in the shade....MRE's just didn't hit the spot.....11b in the middle of BFI...."ice cold" water was 98 degrees, by pouring water on one of my old socks to cool thru evaporation. Infantry "vacation" tours can suck at times..... first month, between getting mortared, and shot at....the whole company had diarrhea and vomiting....the only saving grace was an IV bag every other day....

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    That's rough Lee, I was 13b, I was in Korea in 1992, froze my rear off there. That was my only overseas duty. Was also at Ft. Sill, hot there, but you guys that went to the sandbox have my admiration.

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I'd be very interested to find out how these have been stored myself... I've been "hoarding" vacuum sealed dehydrated foods for over 20 years and from time to time I break the older stuff out to eat it and I'm never disappointed in the flavor or anything. I've eatin plenty of MRE's in my lifetime, but I know they're not the best solution for long term food stoarge. I'd eat just about anything in a survival situation, but I'd at least like to eat somewhat "decent".

I just can't be this guy in a SHTF situation... Hard core if you ask me! I wouldn't eat fresh chicken ala king from a MRE let alone one that is 30 years old!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IDGQqCbn2j0

Top Bottom