• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Do MRE's really have 1200 calories per meal?

Also, is there any way to find preserved meats, canned or otherwise, that don't have sodium through the roof?

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Do MRE's really have 1200 calories per meal?

Also, is there any way to find preserved meats, canned or otherwise, that don't have sodium through the roof?

Don't forget you can "can" your own meats & control ingredients that way... The Ball Blue Book tells you how to can common meats & stews etc. with a pressure canner.

Yes the MRE meals have that many calories...they were designed to support highly physically active soldiers doing their work (hard physical labor!!). The website in karlsgunbunker's post above mine has lots of info on it, you might want to check it out, it is awesome for MRE info.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i dont think ive ever gotten more than 3 or 4 hundred out of one though...most of the meal tastes like vacuum sealed feces...i pretty much stick to the crackers and jalepeno cheese...its amazing how long you can live off just that.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Also, just remembered, you can get Mountain House freeze-dried hamburger in #10 cans now from Nitro-Pak (**new item**)...but it is made w/ sodium (650 mg per serving) . Also different brand available at Emergency Essentials but theirs has less sodium per serving (380mg)
    To get unsalted freeze-dried meat, looks like you have to get the raw ones, like the #10 cans of F.D. Pork Chops from Mountain House.

Top Bottom