Mr. Groundhog meets Mr. .243 win - WARNING GRAPHIC!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I love exploded ground hogs. Little brother blasts them with .243. I prefer to nuke them with .308. My kid smoked several this spring with my .458SOCOM. and 300 grain Hornady hollow points. Might have been a little much.:laugh:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I turned one inside out like that with a Remington 700 in .222 Remington several years ago. After the shot the wife asked if I got him, then started over. I warned her off because she has a weak stomach. Looked pretty much the same as the OP's pic.
    I had 2 old sheds that groundhogs were burrowing under. I killed 15 or so of them over the course a 5 years till I either wiped them out or they finally wised up. Our living room was arranged in such a way that when you were watching television, you could see the sheds just by shifting your eyes. I killed one with my bow one time. He was 24 yards, which was what my top pin was set for.

Attachments

• Groundhog #5.JPG
      Groundhog #5.JPG
      47.9 KB · Views: 11
    • Groundhog #3.JPG
      Groundhog #3.JPG
      102 KB · Views: 10

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot a couple w a 700 Classic in .35 Whelen.
    250 grainers max'd out.
    Of course this was NOT in a field.
    Had some living in the woods/hills so had backstop.
    Just whistled through em.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've blasted them with

.22 lr (CB, reg and hyper) .22 mag, .22 hornet, .222 rem, .223 rem, .22-250, ,243 win. .357 mag, .44 mag, .35 whelen and .50 cal MZ (plus recurve and compound bow).
    And 20 and 12 gauge shotguns (shot and slug).

70 gr Nosler BT in .243 win my fave.

I've killed a max of 10 in a day (twice). Once in an evening, another late morning.
    Both of those days.........main rig was my Ruger #1B (.243 win).

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I feel inadequate. I've only schwacked groundhogs with 5.56 and .22LR.

I would think that 5.56 would do job very nicely. I just ordered a scope for the .22, it was delivered today and I plan to mount it tonight after work. There are times when less bang is appropriate, even if it's not as messy!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would think that 5.56 would do job very nicely. I just ordered a scope for the .22, it was delivered today and I plan to mount it tonight after work. There are times when less bang is appropriate, even if it's not as messy!

It does, but it's not a .243, .308, or .22-250!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've blasted them with

.22 lr (CB, reg and hyper) .22 mag, .22 hornet, .222 rem, .223 rem, .22-250, ,243 win. .357 mag, .44 mag, .35 whelen and .50 cal MZ (plus recurve and compound bow).
    And 20 and 12 gauge shotguns (shot and slug).

70 gr Nosler BT in .243 win my fave.

I've killed a max of 10 in a day (twice). Once in an evening, another late morning.
    Both of those days.........main rig was my Ruger #1B (.243 win).

10 in one day - twice! :bow:

No matter how old we get, we always need a role model to look up to.

Thank you sir. You're awesome.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Was back when we had chucks and no yotes.

Yep. Those were the good ole days.:yesway:

Our farm has about a half mile of ditch bank. It used to be like a prairie dog town back there. When my grandpa decided to retire, he leased the ground to a neighbor who farms thousands of acres. His equipment was all much bigger than anything we had. The first spring he drove one of his big 4WD tractors along the ditch bank, he drove across a spot where a ground hog had a serious tunnel complex bored into the ditch bank. The ground gave out and he nearly rolled the tractor. He decided to stay about 30 feet away from the edges of the ditch.

Grandpa hated to see land go to waste, so he declared war on ground hogs. He told me and my 2 brothers that he'd pay us $5 a head for every ground hog we smoked. That 30 feet between the ditch and the soybeans almost made it unfair. We used our brush hog to keep the grass and weeds down so they had to run the gauntlet to get to those sweet soybeans.:D

My brothers each had .22s and I had a Contender in .223. They did OK at first, killed a bunch inside 100 yards with their .22s. But it didn't take long until the ground hogs got smart and you couldn't get a shot under a hundred yards. Then I cleaned up with the Contender.

My youngest brother had a Ruger 77-22 and is, by far, the best shot of the three of us. He would get mad because he could consistently hit them out past 100 yards with his .22. But often, they would just flinch, then look around like a bee had stung them or something. I'd send a Hornady V-Max right after and light it up.

We killed dozens of them through spring and summer. So many that for years after, there were never any back there. Then we started seeing more and more coyotes which I'm sure take a toll on them. Then I lost a dog to what I assume was coyotes, so I declared war on them.

This summer is the first time in years that there have been ground hogs back on the ditch again in any numbers. When my son came home from college, he got around 10 in week.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 10 I killed one day was a senior in HS.
    Farmer offered 2.50 a head.
    Hotter than heck.
    Evening I had 10 bodies.
    Popped one at 250 yds, with breeze.
    Standing chuck, the farmer was blabbing in my ear as I was behind the #1 in bipod.........and I called head shot.
    Bam.........down he went. Farmer laughed and said I missed.
    Walked out and brought back my ear shot chuck.
    Got heatstroke that day too.
    Hard earned 25 bucks.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    In the process of setting up an old Marlin / Glenfield Model 60 .22 semi-auto with a scope. It has an 11mm dovetail, I've been trying to find some rings that fit it. I just ordered a set of rings from Talley for CZ, tried mounting them last night, and found that even though both CZ and Marlin have 11mm dovetails, the Marlin dovetail has a slight radius across the top where the CZ dovetail has no radius. So I called Talley and they told me to order the Anschutz rings. So I'm returning the CZ rings to Midway USA and just ordered the Anschutz. Hoping to get the Marlin sighted in within the next week or so. Once I get it sighted in, I'll probably be using the .22 more than the .243 just to keep the noise down. The closest house to the farm is almost 1/2 mile away, and up much higher on a hill. So everything is safe in that regard, but technically we're still inside city limits and not supposed to discharge firearms, but chances of any complaints are about slim to none. There's also a shotgun skeet range nearby, and when the range is active, the noise from the range provides some cover as far as the noise goes.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Chuck #4 since the de-chucking party started 3 weeks ago. This one is also a male, smaller than the last two but bigger than the first:

20180721_175618_zpsffsyjnxb.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I saw three dead chubsters on US-231 between Crawfordsville and Linden late yesterday afternoon. Much like when I see a road-killed raccoon, I am saddened.

Because I didn't get to kill it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I saw three dead chubsters on US-231 between Crawfordsville and Linden late yesterday afternoon. Much like when I see a road-killed raccoon, I am saddened.

Because I didn't get to kill it.

I will say the same thing that one of my co-workers said to me yesterday after I showed him the first exploded groundhog on this thread, he had enough and started walking away. I said but you didn't see the rest of them yet. He never slowed down, just said "I am concerned about you" as he walked away.

Maybe I should have saved the exploded one for last???? :dunno:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Chuck #5 got his today.

This time I didn't use the .243, but used my landlord's Marlin Glenfield Model 60 .22 with one of my own scopes mounted on it. Not nearly as loud or messy, but still killed it instantly. Poked his head out from behind the fence rail, dropped straight to the ground below.
    20180727_203243_zpsshugugxh.jpg

20180727_203435_zpsff6g4g70.jpg

20180727_191620_zpsred9n7kx.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom