• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lefty 21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    My better half got a really nice promotion :cheers:...so we are moving. Michigan seems nice....(and cold). We lived in Lansing for about 9 months before but this time it's for good.

I have enjoyed Indiana every day since moving here from occupied territory (Illinois). Nice folks, easy living for the most part and or course, INGO. I have truly enjoyed this fine state and it's people. Haven't had that much time on this board, but I'll keep in touch.

By the way, Michigan seems a lot more strict about their carry laws. Anyone have any experience with them? I read that 6 months occupancy is required prior to CCW...:noway:

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Sorry to see you leave but more money is a good thing. My brother has a lake house in Mich. just watch local gun laws and rules. good luck.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    By the way, Michigan seems a lot more strict about their carry laws. Anyone have any experience with them? I read that 6 months occupancy is required prior to CCW...:noway:

In Indiana, you aren't required to get Indiana identification until 60 days after you become a resident, and you don't necessarily become a resident until you have lived in the State for 183 days in a year. If Michigan is the same, you won't lose your Indiana residency until you have lived in Michigan for 6 months and acquired Michigan residency. Look into Michigan's time period on getting a Michigan license after moving to the State. If it is like Indiana's, keep your Indiana ID and Handgun License for those six months.

- This is absolutely not legal advice and I can't promise it won't get you in trouble. DO NOT do this without looking into Michigan law on residency, which will probably be found in the same area of the MCL as driver's license requirements.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I made the move from Michigan to Indiana about 2 years ago now.

Check these links out. You will find a lot of stuff about what to do and where you need to go to get these things done at.

There is also have a Michigan forum just like this one. They have all sorts of info about the CCW process. Michigan Gun Owners

The michigan secretary of state (SOS) same as the Indiana BMV : link SOS - Michigan Secretary of State

State police: MSP - Michigan State Police

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to see you leave but more money is a good thing. My brother has a lake house in Mich. just watch local gun laws and rules. good luck.

My uncle, now passed away, used to have a "lake house" in Michigan, on Lake Michigan. Got to visit it once and I was impressed. Better weather here Bro.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    First off, my condolences for having to move to Michigan. I lived there for 2 years and hated every second with a white-hot passion that would rival the heat from the sun.

Anyway you have to be a resident in Michigan for 90 days before you can apply for your Concealed Carry Permit. You will also need to take a Michigan-approved gun safety class before you can apply. You can take that at any time, however, since I believe the certification is good for a year or so. Most classes are a good 8 hours of classroom time and shooting.

There are good points and bad about the Michigan permit. You MUST carry concealed. If you don't you risk the chance of getting in trouble for brandishing. Also don't carry if you go get a drink. The BAC limit is insanely low if you're carrying and I think you'll be illegal if someone drunk breathes on you. The good news is that more states have reciprocity with Michigan so you can legally carry in more states.

Anyway, good luck on your move and I hope you like it better than I did!

Top Bottom