Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Mountain lions are here. Mostly gun shop rumor but sometimes we get to put a foot on a body (puma shot downtown Chicago): Cougar Shot in Chicago; Was 1,000 Miles From Home?

DNR admits that mountain lions have been confirmed in Indiana but grudgingly: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Mountain_Lion_Information.pdf

I talked to the guy in charge of tracking and investigating cougar sightings for the DNR two years ago at the IBA Banquet and he told me the DNR trail cam pics near Bloomfield were obtained because the land owner contacted DNR when he watched a cougar take down one of his cows. That's total BS in the article to claim that no livestock has been killed by a cougar - they know better.

I will agree with the statement encountering a cougar in Indiana is almost non-existent. I've seen only two, the most recent this past summer. I reported the sighting, but it is considered an unconfirmed sighting because I did not have a camera. However I did get really good comparative data as I was only 40 yards from the cat and had a guardrail for scale - he stood beside a guard rail. I also measured the distance between his strides from the road to cover. My sighting was at NSWC Crane and Steve followed up on the sighting. No cam pics were gathered of the cat. Not surprised - with over 54,000 acres to roam around it's difficult to get pics of a cougar without a kill cache' to set up on.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Unfortunately, you don't see the cat. You would be,......ahem, .... the mouse in the scenario.

I too too have heard about mountain lion in indiana. I haven't seen one, but my buddy, a truck driver, told me that up north on 31 by Rochester, a bunch of cars were pulled over several summers ago watching a BIG cat stroll across a field.

I remember thinking, geez, that makes mushroom hunting kinda scary. I had just watched a show about big cat attacks and most victims never seen it coming..........

kinda da like the cat and mouse scenario....... We'd be screwed.

I can barely handle a 12 pound house cat that plays rough, mountain lions can go 150+ pounds and be over 7 feet long.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    Unfortunately, you don't see the cat. You would be,......ahem, .... the mouse in the scenario.

I too too have heard about mountain lion in indiana. I haven't seen one, but my buddy, a truck driver, told me that up north on 31 by Rochester, a bunch of cars were pulled over several summers ago watching a BIG cat stroll across a field.

I remember thinking, geez, that makes mushroom hunting kinda scary. I had just watched a show about big cat attacks and most victims never seen it coming..........

kinda da like the cat and mouse scenario....... We'd be screwed.

I can barely handle a 12 pound house cat that plays rough, mountain lions can go 150+ pounds and be over 7 feet long.

That is my neck of the woods and I do a lot of mushroom hunting up here, pretty weird to think about!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Even if one gets pics of a cougar, that doesn't mean it was always wild or migrated in.
    My guess is that most sightings are illegal pets turned loose (or escapee).
    There may be pronounced visibility in pets going wild, as their skills and equipment may not be up to their wild cousin's standards.
    And................that may lead to a high mortality rate.
    People might see something, but it might not make it to the following year.

Yeah, I don't think so. Every Midwestern cat that I have ever heard of being trapped and genetically tested has come from the SD Blackhills. They travel long distances with one having been caught an tested in WI I believe, tagged and later found road killed in Connecticut.

My wife saw one in Brownsburg standing just off the street under a street light. It was snowy so I went out to investigate since it was just at the back of my neighborhood. Found the tracks right where she said they would be and they led me right into one of the backyards where the snow had melted away and i couldn't track it any more.

There had been a horse attacked up in Fayette about 5 miles north of B-Burg. Claw marks down the horses back end that anyone with any sense could see were feline. I figured the cat was following White Lick Creek which comes right past the house. Took a few weeks but I am certain it passed by this way and my wife will swear to it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am in Vigo county, and clay county is right next door (east like 3 miles) and the feline rescue center in center point is over that way. I know some people that live near by and you can hear them feed and things. They are loud every morning and night… But I was told that every now and again some do get out. A few people around here have gotten a cougar on their trial cams.. But I don't know of any "native" cats in Indiana.

Top Bottom