• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Good weekend of mountain biking for me, put in about 20 miles. Started the weekend off Friday after work with a new personal best at Town run. Just under 26 minutes to 465 and back. Last year when I started riding, this same route would take me 35+ minutes of moving time with several stops. Very happy with my improvement. Saturday evening went to Flat Fork Creek to introduce my neighbor's 13 year old daughter to the sport. Despite a fall off of a wooden feature and one trip into the brush because she didn't know how to turn and brake, it was a good trip. Sunday morning I beat the heat but not the humidity and rode Schoen Creek and Lawrence Creek at Fort Harrison. Monday evening went out with the neighbor and rode Town Run to 465 and back. Only his 5th time riding trails and he is improving. Still trying to figure out how to corner with speed.

Sunday while riding Lawrence Creek I caught up to someone and ended up riding the rest of the trail with him. He mentioned that he was tired from riding 20 miles at Brown County State Park the day before. I said I hadn't been there yet because the climbs scared me with my current endurance level. He suggested that I should go down and only ride a couple trails to start.

That really got me thinking. I had been thinking about going down and riding 20-25 miles and was really worried. I decided Thursday after work I am going to head down and ride Limekiln and maybe Weed Patch. Should only be 10 miles. Looking forward to seeing the trails down there.

View attachment 297375 View attachment 297376
    You should go to BC. The climbs are not tremendously more than what you're probably used to, depending which direction you go. The main thing I see is the trails are "rougher," meaning some really persistent rooty sections. There are some places where you will descend for a quarter or half-mile while holding both brakes all the way, and it taxes your hands because you have weight on them while hitting bumps, and can't let go of the brakes to absorb the impact with your entire hand. I had to begin "hanging" on a pull-up bar to strengthen my hands. I haven't ridden the whole system yet, but have found very little smooth "flow" there. We rode Green Valley last time, which is the only intermediate or below trail described as a "flow" trail, and I didn't find it very flow-y at all. Not rough, but definitely not flow either. I had to stop several times because I was still technically testing positive for Covid, and am looking forward to getting back and trying it at full strength.

Limekiln would be a good intro, since it has park road access. For a little more, you can do Pine/North Gate/North Tower, and that would map out at about 6 miles (or 8 miles, if you take a couple wrong turns like we did first time).

Your trail partner was a real trooper for being at FH the day after 20 miles in BCSP :drill: . I don't think you can ride 20 unique miles there without getting into some pretty tough stuff.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Dodged some rain yesterday and made it down to Brown County State Park. I started at the road and went down Weedpatch. The down hill was the longest I've been on and it was awesome! The climb back up to the fire tower was rough. A few breaks and some sections of walking and I managed to make it out. Next I did the Limekiln loop starting on the east side. A nice loop with some good flow. Again I had to take a few breaks and walk a couple of sections. I'm not use to the climbs!

While the trail was a bit bumpier than I am use to at Town Run and Fort Harrison, the full suspension soaked it all up. I had no issues with arm pump or hand cramps. Total time out on the trails was 1hr20min. Top speed of 22.7 was awesome, even got some air on jumps!

I didn't ride from Hesitation point but I had to stop for a picture and admire the view.
    20230907_173424.jpg

Stopped for a short break on Limekiln West.
    20230907_170924.jpg

Another break on Limekiln West. Looked down and spotted this artwork from some trail work.
    20230907_171852.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_205521_Connect.jpg

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    What apps are you guys using for navigation?
    I have a Garmin Edge 130. I create a course on Trailforks then import it to my Edge 130. Unfortunately the 130 doesn't have true navigation but I wasn't willing to spend more money on an Edge 530 or 830. I like how the Garmin Connect app and website keep track of all my stats and rides, then will import them to trail forks and strava automatically.

While out on the trail I will open MTBProject to see where I am on a trail. I don't have a membership to Trailforks yet.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah, that's what I dread...I figure one day I'll log into Trailforks and find the whole thing behind a membership wall. I'll probably need to pay up for TF, because there aren't any bodies of water in proximity to most of the Brown Co MTB trails that would allow you to effectively use most phone-based navigation.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The free Trailforks works well for me in BCSP, although I only use it to take a screenshot for use in locating a tree down when reporting it.

Screenshot_20230910_211128_Trailforks.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    You did it the right way on Weedpatch...ride, rest, ride and walk what you want to. The climb out of Weedpatch is about as steep and continous as anything at BCSP so congrats on that.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    You did it the right way on Weedpatch...ride, rest, ride and walk what you want to. The climb out of Weedpatch is about as steep and continous as anything at BCSP so congrats on that.
    That makes me feel good. I might try and get back down next week to check out some other trails.

On a different note, I'm pretty sure I got chiggers while I was down there. I've never had poison ivy before so I don't think it is that. I will be loading up on some deet for my next trip. These suck!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Man, y’all are way more advanced than I am. I just bought an ascend hybrid for riding the paved trails by my house. Rode it up and down the driveway a couple of times and it seems to fit me well, but what do I know, I haven’t been on a bike in at least 25-30 years.

I love the idea of riding some of the trails in this thread, but that’s way above my skill level. I plan on starting out taking it pretty easy, maybe 3 days a week for now, and doing the three mile loop that’s right by my house. Who knows, I might upgrade bikes and my riding skills someday.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Man, y’all are way more advanced than I am. I just bought an ascend hybrid for riding the paved trails by my house. Rode it up and down the driveway a couple of times and it seems to fit me well, but what do I know, I haven’t been on a bike in at least 25-30 years.

I love the idea of riding some of the trails in this thread, but that’s way above my skill level. I plan on starting out taking it pretty easy, maybe 3 days a week for now, and doing the three mile loop that’s right by my house. Who knows, I might upgrade bikes and my riding skills someday.
    Life is better on a bike.

...It's even better when you're riding somewhere you don't have to worry about some AH pulling out in front of you, or running you over while texting!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Planning another trip to BCSP Friday. My wife is coming along to walk around in Nashville while I'm on the trails. That means I won't have to climb up Hesitation Point! Route plan right now is West Gate > Hobbs Hollow > Shelley > Green Valley > North Gate. I'm a little nervous about Hobbs being a black diamond but looks like you can roll over most of the jumps if need be. I loved Weedpatch so thought Hobbs would be a good next step.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Had a really good day in Brown County today. Started off with a wrong turn but once I got back on my route I was good to go. Hobbs was a blast but really worked my finger and hands from all the braking. Glad I upgraded to Shimano 4 pistons front in rear with a 203mm rotor up front and a 180mm in the rear.

20230922_111355.jpg Screenshot_20230922_152735_Connect.jpg

Now on a sad note, my frame is starting to crack where the seat tube meets the top tube. It is a known problem with these Polygons so that is unfortunate. I may talk with a tig welder to see what he thinks but lots of people recommend against it since the frame is heat treated.

20230922_205936.jpg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Had a really good day in Brown County today. Started off with a wrong turn but once I got back on my route I was good to go. Hobbs was a blast but really worked my finger and hands from all the braking. Glad I upgraded to Shimano 4 pistons front in rear with a 203mm rotor up front and a 180mm in the rear.

View attachment 300978 View attachment 300979

Now on a sad note, my frame is starting to crack where the seat tube meets the top tube. It is a known problem with these Polygons so that is unfortunate. I may talk with a tig welder to see what he thinks but lots of people recommend against it since the frame is heat treated.

View attachment 300980
    Just curious no bar ends ?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My .02 on that frame which may be overstating its value. 40 years ago when in aircraft mechanic school I was taught that fiberglass had the same coefficient of expansion as aluminum and there were things that we did that were allowed mixing the two. If bike was mine I would get it tig welded and then I would wrap the entire area with fiberglass cloth and resin to strengthen it beyond area where the HT may be effected.

Last fall I went to BCSP and it was the week of the deer hunt. I rode yellowwood and about killed myself. Leaves were very thick on the ground and I wasn't able to see things that sent me flying in a bad way. Does anyone know when BCSP is closed for the hunt this season?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    My .02 on that frame which may be overstating its value. 40 years ago when in aircraft mechanic school I was taught that fiberglass had the same coefficient of expansion as aluminum and there were things that we did that were allowed mixing the two. If bike was mine I would get it tig welded and then I would wrap the entire area with fiberglass cloth and resin to strengthen it beyond area where the HT may be effected.

Last fall I went to BCSP and it was the week of the deer hunt. I rode yellowwood and about killed myself. Leaves were very thick on the ground and I wasn't able to see things that sent me flying in a bad way. Does anyone know when BCSP is closed for the hunt this season?
    I will definitely look into your advice about the fiberglass. Thanks for the recommendation.

A quick search looks like there isn't a deer hunt at Brown County this year.

Top Bottom