• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was there myself yesterday. That location is about three miles from my house.

I'm intrigued by your neighborhood. The spillway is a regular destination for me. Maybe the default? 30-40 minutes from home for me. The bike gets to stretch it's legs a bit on 69/37 and I plant my butt on the rail there, drink coffee and cheer on the folks fishing.

Being a fisherman, I have always liked the water. I see a few fish caught and talk to a lot of folks down there. One day, I might even pack fishing gear down there? Last fall, google maps and I snaked our way from 446 to the spillway. Google maps is google maps, so it took a couple tries, I eventually made it through though.

I think I'm gonna spring for an annual park pass this year to ride in and out of the state restricted areas down there. Last year when the 'rona lockdowns had the gates unoccupied, I rode around Fairfax and Paynetown. Hardin Ridge could be on that route also. Lotta sights to be seen, folks to chat with and hands on fishing info there.

No one on the Fairfax gate yesterday. There was a fair handful of folks out doing stuff on Christmas. Couple guys fishing off the edge of the boat ramp, beer cans in hand. There were some brave folks wading the beach also.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The legislators are prompting for Stste Parks to be free to all veterans. Not sure how much traction it has gained.
    I for one, applaud there efforts to get more people to enjoy the benefits of being outddors with nature's bounty.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm intrigued by your neighborhood. The spillway is a regular destination for me. Maybe the default? 30-40 minutes from home for me. The bike gets to stretch it's legs a bit on 69/37 and I plant my butt on the rail there, drink coffee and cheer on the folks fishing.

Being a fisherman, I have always liked the water. I see a few fish caught and talk to a lot of folks down there. One day, I might even pack fishing gear down there? Last fall, google maps and I snaked our way from 446 to the spillway. Google maps is google maps, so it took a couple tries, I eventually made it through though.

I think I'm gonna spring for an annual park pass this year to ride in and out of the state restricted areas down there. Last year when the 'rona lockdowns had the gates unoccupied, I rode around Fairfax and Paynetown. Hardin Ridge could be on that route also. Lotta sights to be seen, folks to chat with and hands on fishing info there.

No one on the Fairfax gate yesterday. There was a fair handful of folks out doing stuff on Christmas. Couple guys fishing off the edge of the boat ramp, beer cans in hand. There were some brave folks wading the beach also.

Not much at Fairfax to look at, but from memory, Hardin Ridge is a pretty nice area. I rode the exact route you described yesterday. I was out by the College Mall, then shot down 446 and went by by Hardin Ridge and through the Chapel HIll area, finally ending up by the dam. Even though it was a little damp and overcast, I really enjoyed the ride yesterday. Traffic and people were so light, in made for a very enjoyable few hours out and about.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Do I see a mutual interest group here?
    bwframe, Dr. Midnight and me? Maybe we meetup at the spillway or Scenic View restaurant before or after a Spring ride in '22?
    I know bwframe and he's a little like me as far as a "loner" biker, as well as experienced.
    I may get my Ultra Limited out today but the call of the "boom" may override that desire.

I roll solo most of the time myself, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to meeting up with some likeminded individuals at some point.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do I see a mutual interest group here?
    bwframe, Dr. Midnight and me? Maybe we meetup at the spillway or Scenic View restaurant before or after a Spring ride in '22?
    I know bwframe and he's a little like me as far as a "loner" biker, as well as experienced.
    I may get my Ultra Limited out today but the call of the "boom" may override that desire.
    I've heard the Fairfax Inn used to be a decent place to eat also. I've eaten at Scenic View, but it's been years. I see a lotta bikes parked in front of the place on 446 near Pinegrove also? I cannot speak to any of those places in the modern day.

Maybe once you get out of Btown it's like Martinsville or Bedford, where there are no mask mandates or staff shortages? :dunno:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've heard the Fairfax Inn used to be a decent place to eat also. I've eaten at Scenic View, but it's been years. I see a lotta bikes parked in front of the place on 446 near Pinegrove also? I cannot speak to any of those places in the modern day
    Maybe once you get out of Btown it's like Martinsville or Bedford, where there are no mask mandates or staff shortages? :dunno:

I am in sales, so between my day job and motorcycle riding, I'm all over South Central and Southern Indiana. The staff shortage issues is EVERYWHERE, but once you get South of Bloomington, that mask program goes out the window. I don't know how far you venture South of Monroe County, but there's some pretty good riding in the Southern part of the state.

The Fairfax Inn is a good place to grab a meal and wash it down with your beverage of choice. I don't eat there much in the Winter, but in warmer months, I seem to find my way there at least every other week.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I am in sales, so between my day job and motorcycle riding, I'm all over South Central and Southern Indiana. The staff shortage issues is EVERYWHERE, but once you get South of Bloomington, that mask program goes out the window. I don't know how far you venture South of Monroe County, but there's some pretty good riding in the Southern part of the state.

The Fairfax Inn is a good place to grab a meal and wash it down with your beverage of choice. I don't eat there much in the Winter, but in warmer months, I seem to find my way there at least every other week.
    The Fairfax Bar and Grill as it is called now, since October. I've gone down there twice this December for the music on Saturday night. Good bands both times and the tenderloin sandwich is good and good sized. I've talked to the owner both times. He also owns the Sinkhole in Bloomington (been there to a few times recently for the music and craft brewski) One of the bartender ladies is a past Steelhorse employee as it got a little too crazy there for her.

And yes, lots and lots of good riding in S. In.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    The Fairfax Bar and Grill as it is called now, since October. I've gone down there twice this December for the music on Saturday night. Good bands both times and the tenderloin sandwich is good and good sized. I've talked to the owner both times. He also owns the Sinkhole in Bloomington (been there to a few times recently for the music and craft brewski) One of the bartender ladies is a past Steelhorse employee as it got a little too crazy there for her.

And yes, lots and lots of good riding in S. In.
    I knew the old owner of the Fairfax Inn, but sadly he passed away. Ron could be a little rough at times, but he was a good dude at heart. I heard it was his son that owns it now, but I can't confirm that.

Top Bottom