• Bikers not dimming their lights

• Total voters

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm not talking about accidents specifically, I'm talking about drivers pulling out causing motorcyclists to slam on the brakes, swerve, merge suddenly, etc. because they weren't seen. That happens ALL the time, and of course it doesn't get reported.

Happens to me too...
    All the time...
    Even when Driving my Navistar Eagle...

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    If a motorcyclist is that concerned about getting hit, than take the car. I ride and manage to do it safely without using bright lights, flourescent vests or banners to alert others. Ride defensively and hone your skills on bike just like you do with firearms.
    Motorcycling is a wonderful sport and conveyance I have been enjoying for some 45 years.
    I have found that enjoying the sport is the art of offsetting the inherent dangers of two wheeled motorized vehicles by tipping the odds in my favor. If that includes daytime running lights, helmets, leathers, riding techniques,or whatever, I want to learn about it, and if the theories hold up, you'll find me using it.
    My skills have been honed over the years, so the silly rookie mistakes are less likely, but not being concerned about getting hit seems like a recipe for disaster. Seems to me that it's usually the threat that you weren't concerned about and didn't expect that will kill you.
    I will continue to ride and continue to be concerned about getting hit. The rewards are worth it. My :twocents:

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Maybe I'm just getting more irritable the older I get....but I find it extremely annoying when oncoming motorcycle riders don't dim their lights the ways cars have to.........I have nothing against motorcycles,and I understand the desire for more visibility(to see and be seen),but DANG! some of those lights are blinding..........anyone else find this as annoying as I do?

Your irritation is a great indication that I'm getting your attention. I guess I would rather be alive to enjoy your dirty finger, instead of eating your door or hood. On a side note, the new blue headlamps for motorcycles are just crazy bright to look at on high or low beam. But, I think they suck on helping me see after dark!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have HIDs in my bike and a lifted truck....ya'll must hate me....
    The only time I use my HIs on my bike is to open my garage door :cool:

And in case anyone cares...it pisses us off just as much when ya'll flash us when we aren't running our HI beams. I don't change my lighting systems so you can see me, I change them so I can see what I need to see.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    High beams and......fog lights. Both make it very hard for me to see.
    Think about it.....you're driving at night say 60 mph with your high beams/fog lights on and blinding oncoming traffic. How smart is that? Then in retaliation the oncoming drivers flip on their high beams. Ok, so this guy is blinding me and I can't see......I think I will do the same to him. Its a cycle that repeats itself daily.
    BTW, if their is actually fog, then thats cool, but to drive with fog lights on during a clear night.........whats up with that?

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Motorcycling is a wonderful sport and conveyance I have been enjoying for some 45 years.
    I have found that enjoying the sport is the art of offsetting the inherent dangers of two wheeled motorized vehicles by tipping the odds in my favor. If that includes daytime running lights, helmets, leathers, riding techniques,or whatever, I want to learn about it, and if the theories hold up, you'll find me using it.
    My skills have been honed over the years, so the silly rookie mistakes are less likely, but not being concerned about getting hit seems like a recipe for disaster. Seems to me that it's usually the threat that you weren't concerned about and didn't expect that will kill you.
    I will continue to ride and continue to be concerned about getting hit. The rewards are worth it. My :twocents:

Couldnt agree more when it comes to gear. However I think a lot of riders obsess about the blue haired old ladies when that attention should be focused on lane position, blind spots and watching their speed. :twocents:

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Happens to me too...
    All the time...
    Even when Driving my Navistar Eagle...

I assume that's a semi? Fyi semi's are big, slow, obstruct vision and no one wants to get stuck behind them....
    That's probably why it happens to you...
    not because you weren't seen....

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    Your irritation is a great indication that I'm getting your attention. I guess I would rather be alive to enjoy your dirty finger, instead of eating your door or hood. On a side note, the new blue headlamps for motorcycles are just crazy bright to look at on high or low beam. But, I think they suck on helping me see after dark!

Ok,so you're getting my attention,but if those high beams cause me to be temporarily blinded,and run over you,what good did it do?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    High beams and......fog lights. Both make it very hard for me to see.
    Think about it.....you're driving at night say 60 mph with your high beams/fog lights on and blinding oncoming traffic. How smart is that? Then in retaliation the oncoming drivers flip on their high beams. Ok, so this guy is blinding me and I can't see......I think I will do the same to him. Its a cycle that repeats itself daily.
    BTW, if their is actually fog, then thats cool, but to drive with fog lights on during a clear night.........whats up with that?

Unless somebody has done some creative rewiring or installed their own "fog" lights then they won't work with the high beams. And if they are installed and aimed correctly then the fogs shouldn't be an issue, their light pattern is low and wide. As for running them on a clear night. . . . .cause it's cool!!!!:laugh:

Uh and no, I don't have any, although I do have some kajillion candlepower driving lights that'll melt retinas at 2 miles.:rockwoot: Only use them out in the sticks by the house though.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Don't look directly at the light. :dunno:

Tried this last night I had an individual that was driving towards me on his bike with lights that were so bright they washed out the road for me. I could not see the white line.

I attempted to flash my lights at him a couple of times to no avail.
    I did turn on 2 more lights on the Jeep and got his attention with that though I suspect as they then dimmed their bike lights...

All most of us are asking is for basic courtesy. If you know your lights are bright as the Sun, just freaking dim/ or shut off the Aux lights when you come into traffic. IS it really that safe of a Practice to continue to blind the other drivers?! :dunno:

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I run the HID setup in my Street Glide. It is a lot more visible and I have yet to have a person flash their brights at me. It is aimed down and not out. The bottom of the light line is right at the top of my windshield. This is a complete kit from Harley with the correct reflectors.
    I have had a lot less people pull out in front of me since I went to this headlight. It does still happen though. I had a guy in a big ass truck pulling a car hauler run a red light and pull into a gas station right in front of me last week. I almost caught his trailer.
    When I went back to the gas station to have a friendly chat with him, it was one of those "I didn't see you" excuses. I politely pointed out that it was dumb asses like him that kill motorcyclist.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not talking about accidents specifically, I'm talking about drivers pulling out causing motorcyclists to slam on the brakes, swerve, merge suddenly, etc. because they weren't seen. That happens ALL the time, and of course it doesn't get reported.

That rarely happens to me. In fact, I can't remember the last time it's happened. I ride at least twice a day, on the interstate and on surface streets back and forth from work.

I've also never had anyone try to merge into me either.

Maybe I'm just extra noticable.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    That rarely happens to me. In fact, I can't remember the last time it's happened. I ride at least twice a day, on the interstate and on surface streets back and forth from work.

I've also never had anyone try to merge into me either.

Maybe I'm just extra noticable.

Well, maybe people in your area pay more attention to bikes. Or maybe you just don't ride enough to notice. What do you ride again, is it brightly colored?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Greene County
    I have rode bikes and driven an automobile for as long as it was legal for me, approximately 30 years. I will have to say that you do not need to have your bright lights on when you are riding for people to see you. You need the people driving to pay attention. Most people now days seem to be quite spiteful of of everyone else, and do not care what other people think. This is a growing problem that is being passed onto our younger generations. Just remember everyone has a place to go...you are not the only one using the roads, slow down, pay attention, and be cautious of other drivers...especially motorcycles. I would like to add that you people that do not dim your lights and continue to irritate me are going to pay one day!!!:evilangel:

Top Bottom