Most inexpensive but decent O/U 12 gauge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    My family is teaming up get my BIL a membership to Indiana Gun Club and a decent OU shotgun for Xmas. We are limited on budget for the gun.

Can anyone recommend a BUDGET O/U 12 gauge shotgun that would be serviceable for a novice getting into sporting clays/trap?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For a novice that wants to shoot occasional clays and decide if they like it or night might be a Stoeger Condor. You can get them inexpensively and they are decent.

I own one and its very utilitarian. I'd buy it again. I think I paid $400.

A Mossberg Silver Reserve would be another higher end that I'd recommend.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My family is teaming up get my BIL a membership to Indiana Gun Club and a decent OU shotgun for Xmas. We are limited on budget for the gun.

Can anyone recommend a BUDGET O/U 12 gauge shotgun that would be serviceable for a novice getting into sporting clays/trap?

Give me some idea on budget

There are some cheap O/U's available but the cheaper the gun the more clunky it will feel and for a target gun, the cheapo guns like Stoeger just do not last. I have a Stoeger SxS and it's ok for hunting or a target day or two per year but that's about it IMHO. trigger is like a cannon lanyard compared to a target gun. My brother had one of their Condor models and it rattled inside from day one and just didn't shoot very well and would beat you up with cheek slap.

If your budget will allow, I think the best bang for the buck on an entry level O/U is the CZ Redhead Premier or the Premier Target. You can get one of those new for right around a grand and they come with 5 choke tubes and have a much better fit, finish, smoother trigger than anything I've seen cheaper. Another entry level option could be the Stevens 555.
    If budget is a little higher then look at a used Browning or Beretta. I saw a gently used Browning CXS 12g with 30" barrels in the rack while I was there on Saturday. I think the tag was 1700ish. It will be a good deal for someone
    Regardless, with a shotgun fit makes a huge difference and in clays games 12g rules the roost for good reason

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    You might consider giving a gift card to a gun or sporting goods store. He could select his own gun based on fit, appearance, and advice from the staff. Being presented with a gun on Christmas is neat, but your choice may not turn out to best for hi. He might add a few bucks of his own or might have a few dollars left over for ammo or accessories, depending on his choice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for all the replies. He is a beginner and the budget is LOW. Leaning toward the Stoeger Condor
    That will get him started. And if he doesnt get into it, not much lost.

And as to cheek slap, if that becomes an issue, these can correct it. Installed correctly they can not only reduce recoil, but control cheek slap as well. It can help direct any off-center recoil away instead of toward your cheek if necessary.

And if he doesnt like the auto safety, an 8 cent roll pin from Ace can be used to replace the safety arm so that it doesnt put it on safe every time he breaks it open.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Give me some idea on budget

There are some cheap O/U's available but the cheaper the gun the more clunky it will feel and for a target gun, the cheapo guns like Stoeger just do not last. I have a Stoeger SxS and it's ok for hunting or a target day or two per year but that's about it IMHO. trigger is like a cannon lanyard compared to a target gun. My brother had one of their Condor models and it rattled inside from day one and just didn't shoot very well and would beat you up with cheek slap.

If your budget will allow, I think the best bang for the buck on an entry level O/U is the CZ Redhead Premier or the Premier Target. You can get one of those new for right around a grand and they come with 5 choke tubes and have a much better fit, finish, smoother trigger than anything I've seen cheaper. Another entry level option could be the Stevens 555.
    If budget is a little higher then look at a used Browning or Beretta. I saw a gently used Browning CXS 12g with 30" barrels in the rack while I was there on Saturday. I think the tag was 1700ish. It will be a good deal for someone
    Regardless, with a shotgun fit makes a huge difference and in clays games 12g rules the roost for good reason

CZ is a good all around shotgun for the money.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have shot shot some skeet with 2 different Russian Baikals and they shot great and are inexpensive also.
    This talk of O/U got me thinking. I’d forgotten what I had. So I went to look. I’ve never shot it. Still in the box. Its a REM. SPR 310 Silver Eagle and I saw it was made in Russia, kinda made me chuckle. Truegun doesn’t have enough data to set a price but two were sold 6 months ago in Tx. For less than a grand. Nice looking gun. Looks like they only made it for a couple years. Hope you find what your looking for.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always wondered about the CZs. They are fairly cheap but I just never hear them mentioned.
    I know a few guys who have them as hunting/ general purpose guns and they like them. The flip side is on some shotgun sports sites they don't get much love for longevity as a dedicated target gun for competition use. CZ shotguns are made in Turkey and are lumped in with other brands made there as Turkish turds. Handling one, they feel tight and the trigger feels pretty crisp (which doesn't matter as much as it would on a precision rifle) and the fit and finish is good. Maybe the metal finish shows wear faster than other guns but Idk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know a few guys who have them as hunting/ general purpose guns and they like them. The flip side is on some shotgun sports sites they don't get much love for longevity as a dedicated target gun for competition use. CZ shotguns are made in Turkey and are lumped in with other brands made there as Turkish turds. Handling one, they feel tight and the trigger feels pretty crisp (which doesn't matter as much as it would on a precision rifle) and the fit and finish is good. Maybe the metal finish shows wear faster than other guns but Idk
    I was somewhat alarmed at how quickly mine got loose in the action. And it was a 20 gauge. I just wouldn't see one holding up to steady use and I'm not sure about the ability to rebuild a CZ but you can the "B" guns. Of course you probably won't have to rebuild a "B" gun until 60-100,000 shells have gone through it.

I bet you could get a CZ to at least 10K shots though. Figure if you shoot 1X per week, 2 rounds, that's 2500 shotshells per year with a couple weeks off. That means it would last you approximately 4 years before you might need to do some work.

In four years you will know if you are really into it or not and during that time you can figure out exactly what type of fitment you need to optimize your experience.

Plus, if you know you are going to stick with it, you can squirrel away a few bucks every week over those 4 years and be ready when you want to step up.

Then pass down the lower tier shotgun to someone else who is starting out.

All that said, for me four years is a long time to shoot something that is not optimum for me. So I would buy once, cry once.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I’ll 2nd the CZ models as one of the budget options to begin with.
    Mine was an ultralight model I shot for 6 years and still locked up nice.
    There are several commonly found models under a grand. Red Head for sure and a Drake.
    Very nice of your family to do this.

WillH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne

Sportsman's Warehouse is having a pretty good sale on CZ over unders right now, in both 20 and 12 ga.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    This talk of O/U got me thinking. I’d forgotten what I had. So I went to look. I’ve never shot it. Still in the box. Its a REM. SPR 310 Silver Eagle and I saw it was made in Russia, kinda made me chuckle. Truegun doesn’t have enough data to set a price but two were sold 6 months ago in Tx. For less than a grand. Nice looking gun. Looks like they only made it for a couple years. Hope you find what your looking for.
    My dad had one of these and loved it. Hard to tell how many how many rounds he put through it but it shot great. Until the barrels separated. He still cant find a shop that would fix it. He ended up buying another gun.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My dad had one of these and loved it. Hard to tell how many how many rounds he put through it but it shot great. Until the barrels separated. He still cant find a shop that would fix it. He ended up buying another gun.
    I got mine to hunt pheasant in Nebraska ended up taking my old rem. mod 11 in 20 ga. So it went into the dark hidey hole never to be seen Untill last week.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    Why does everyone lean towards over unders for skeet and trap? I've never shot in formal competition but every time I go shoot trap/skeet/clays I do just fine with my old 870 pump. I would think a semi would give the best advantage but rarely see anyone using them, is semi against the rules when competing?

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Why does everyone lean towards over unders for skeet and trap? I've never shot in formal competition but every time I go shoot trap/skeet/clays I do just fine with my old 870 pump. I would think a semi would give the best advantage but rarely see anyone using them, is semi against the rules when competing?
    Not sure about actual rules on equipment, but I would think it’s about using what you’re comfortable with. I e seen plenty of folks using pumps and semi’s at the sporting clays course.

Top Bottom