• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Took my Mossberg 500 out for the second time ever this morning.

Put three in the tube and racked one. Went to pull the trigger but the trigger was already in the "fired" position. By that I mean, it didn't appear to be cocked. At first, I thought I might not have taken the safety off, but it wasn't the case. In any event, the trigger wasn't "locked" in place where I couldn't pull it, it was like it hadn't even been cocked. It was just kinda limp.

A couple of weeks ago, I did a field disassembly to clean it and familiarize myself with the internals, and did have some trouble getting the bolt slide and slide arms to attach. That said, I eventually got it to take and it passed a function test. I watched the youtube video and also had/have the manual handy.

Last point of stupidity on my part. I didn't see the notice about not pulling the trigger while the assembly was out of the receiver. Not sure if that is just a "hey, don't do that" or a "hey, don't do that or you're screwed beyond belief".

I'm thinking I should disassemble again and hope for the best, but am also thinking I need to have someone competent look at it, just to be sure.

Anyone ever experienced this with their Mossberg?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Tear it down and be mindful of the reassembly procedure.

Also, are you sure that your "racking" the slide ALL the way to the rear when charging the gun, you might be "short stroking" it.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    OK, I have an update on this one for everyone.

Field disassembled it and it looks like one of the little "arms" towards the front of the bolt assembly is bent. Not sure what the official name for that part is. Assuming that happened when I had a little trouble with the slide arms during the first reassembly a couple of weeks ago. I love my mechanical nature...

Now, I guess my choices are to either buy a bolt assembly and try it again or let someone at the local gun shop give it a shot.

Do gunsmiths charge by the hour or what? Never damaged one before, so I never had to fix one before! :) (I'm not smiling on the inside...)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I can't get a good photo of it, due to my crappy camera (no macro lens...) but thanks to Google, I can describe it like this.

See this image: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/P1010971.jpg

On the far left is the bolt slide. Next to it is the bolt assembly itself. If you look at that bolt assembly, you will note two pointy things sticking out. They look like little spears.

While the ones in the photo are ram rod straight, one of mine basically makes a 90 degree turn inward, toward the bolt "face".

Brownells says the complete bolt assembly is a "factory restricted" part (my manual says the same thing) but based on their diagram here: Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

It looks like the damage may be as simple as an "extractor, right hand" which is part # 22 on that schematic, which they will sell. But then, I have to dissemble the bolt assembly, which I'm not sure is a good idea based on my past performance! :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh I see now. Yes you can either get #22 and go thru the process of fixxing it yourself or get the entire part and just drop it in. I'm in your boat in terms of the level of experience and comfort I would have in doing the first and would pony up the money to get the entire part.

You may want to call and find out how much the entire thing cost and then go to a local gun repair shop and find out how much they would charge you to get it fixed. May be cheaper to get it fixed than buy the entire part yourself.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    FWIW (from the Mossberg website) :

Q : There's something wrong with my gun. What should I do?

A : If it's new out of the box, see your dealer, as it may be something that can easily be taken care of. Contact our service department to discuss any warranty questions or concerns, and if factory service is necessary, we will quickly provide it at our facility. For parts and service, our service department can be reached at: service@mossberg.com or (800) 363-3555.

:dunno:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Good advice, jediagh.

At this point, I am intrigued by the challenge of breaking down the bolt and doing it myself, but just may run over to the local gun shop to see what they think to start building the relationship.

I'll leave an update once it's resolved, which is hopefully soon!

Top Bottom