• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Hey all,

I am looking to get a cheap A** little gun just to take to the range and shoot. I was looking at the Mosins, Marlin .22's, etc. I was just wondering what you would all suggest as fun of shooting? What I'm looking for...

Fun to shoot
    Semi Cheap to shoot (+ for .22 if you can find the ammo...)
    and could be ok for home defense for my fiance when I'm not around with my gun.
    My 100 pound fiance could shoot and enjoy (Never shot a Mosin before so I don't know the kick on them).
    Any ability to customize is a plus (Add bipod or scope etc.) could be cool

It all kinda started with wanting something for her to shoot for fun at the range. She loved my friends Marlin and brothers M+P 15/22. Then I started looking at the 9000 Mosin's that were at my LGS and kinda liked the idea of a larger round and old War gun.

Is there anything extra? Any gun under $200 that is just fun to shoot at the range? I'm honestly not looking for something special and high class. Just cheapo gun that could be fun to shoot. Post your input below.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    Mosins are fun to shoot but they do kick and are very loud so if that is a concern go with the .22. If you like the AR platform then go with the S&W 15-22.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Mosin's kick like a Mule. That 7.62x54 round in a non-buffered bolt action packs a wallop if you arent shouldered properly and would most likely leave your Fiancé' on her tush in a home defense/snap shot scenario.

.22lr right now is tough to come by inexpensively. It is available though, if you are dilegent or willing to pay the flipper price. Might I suggest a 9MM carbine? The Highpoint and AR Platform rifles that I've shot are huge fun, easy to manage, and you have the ability to get into reloading, thus being able to manage your ammunition supply a little more easily.
    From the prices I've seen, you can get into a Highpoint carbine for around $400 or so. Not incredibly expensive, IMHO

ADDED: This is not my ad, it's not a 9MM, and I have no connection to the seller, I only post it for your reference so you can get an idea.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...uns/315470-hi-point-4595ts-mint-w-extras.html

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Marlin 60 is a great option for less than $200, but it's not a home defense weapon unless you have no other choice. You can find them for less than $100 without too much trouble. They're superior to the 10/22 because you don't find yourself dropping $500 on it to add parts that make it almost as good as a $400 CZ-452/3.

Maybe one of those and save a few hundred to buy a Palmetto State Armory blemished receiver, parts kit, and upper? They've been right around $550-650 for a complete rifle before shipping and transfer. If that's too rich just buy an 870 or 500 at the same pawn shop or gun show where you buy your Marlin. Should be less than $400 all told.

Please don't buy a HiPoint. The carbines are supposed to be more reliable than the pistols, but they're all pot metal blowback junk. Unless you expect someone to attempt to kill you very soon and can't possibly scrape together more money save for a few weeks and buy something better.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If you don't have a .22 yet then I would buy that first. Fun to shoot, no real recoil, and until this crazy year the ammo was cheap and available everywhere. Good for plinking, target, squirrel and rabbit. Most ranges allow .22 rimfire. The Ruger 10/22 (magazine) and Marlin 60 (tube) are hard to beat.

Mosin Nagant is fun to shoot but has a kick. They have been cheap because of the imported military surplus rifles and ammo. When the surplus ammo supply decreases then availability could become an issue. Pistol ranges will not allow Mosin Nagant. (7.62x54). They are more powerful and will shoot farther than a .22 but are not legal for game hunting in Indiana.

They are both fun but I wouldn't buy a Mosin unless I already had a .22.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    So Mosin is Def. out then. I have heard the hipoint carbines are pretty decent even with the handguns being crap. I am now down to Marlin 60 or there is a mossberg plinkster with scope (A great one I'm sure...) I found that can be bought new for $130.

As for the home defense...this isn't really for that. Usually I am home with my handgun and hollowpoints but I was just going on the basis of a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 at home. In this case, when I take my gun with me, it would be better for my fiance to at LEAST have the little .22 than to have nothing at all.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    My brother has the 15-22 and I like it but its WAY too expensive. The mossy is basically the same thing. I couldn't justify spending that much on a .22 plinkster.

And if I were going to buy a pistol cartridge carbine I would just hold out for the Sub2000...if I could ever find one that is.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Marlin 60 is a great option for less than $200, but it's not a home defense weapon unless you have no other choice. You can find them for less than $100 without too much trouble. They're superior to the 10/22 because you don't find yourself dropping $500 on it to add parts that make it almost as good as a $400 CZ-452/3.

Maybe one of those and save a few hundred to buy a Palmetto State Armory blemished receiver, parts kit, and upper? They've been right around $550-650 for a complete rifle before shipping and transfer. If that's too rich just buy an 870 or 500 at the same pawn shop or gun show where you buy your Marlin. Should be less than $400 all told.

Please don't buy a HiPoint. The carbines are supposed to be more reliable than the pistols, but they're all pot metal blowback junk. Unless you expect someone to attempt to kill you very soon and can't possibly scrape together more money save for a few weeks and buy something better.

lol marlin 60 better than 10/22 because there is no aftermarket stuff for it. Don't know how you get there?

But that being put aside, a quality 22 lr will be more useful than a mosin, the 22's (when the silly ends) are more practice for you dollar, applied right can be used for self defense Ect.

if your looking at the AR style 22's then the smith or the colt are the only real options, The mossbergs look good until you get within 10 ft. they are nothing but a junk gun in a skin. the Smith and the colt have the exact feel as an AR (except for weight) and you could transition to a centerfire in seconds

the only people who like Hipoints are the cheapo's that bought them and shout the loudest trying to defend them, But they wont take them to a IPSC and run them against real firearms because they don't want to admit they spent their money on crap

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Well I have never shot a hipoint and don't plan on getting one. As I said, I would go for the Sub2000 but they are NEVER in. I like the 15-22 but yeah it is expensive. How much does it cost to convert one to centerfire on average? I have no clue....

And for the 10/22 how good is it and how much aftermarket is there? I have seen you can almost make it a tactical feeling gun or at least have seen pictures of one that looks that way.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    lol marlin 60 better than 10/22 because there is no aftermarket stuff for it. Don't know how you get there?

I made that clear in my post. Go read RinmfireCentral to see the ludicrous amounts of money people spend tarting up what is essentially just a decent plinking rifle. If you want precision a 10/22 is the long way to get there. The Marlin 60 removes all temptation to throw away money on shiny bits due to the dearth of aftermarket parts. Tech Sights are pretty nice though.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    What about the marlin 795? Is it just the 60 with a magazine instead of tube? Dunhams has them on sale for 140 now so I'm sure I could get one pretty cheap. Are the marlins at least accurate at like 100 yards?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Well I have never shot a hipoint and don't plan on getting one. As I said, I would go for the Sub2000 but they are NEVER in. I like the 15-22 but yeah it is expensive. How much does it cost to convert one to centerfire on average? I have no clue....

And for the 10/22 how good is it and how much aftermarket is there? I have seen you can almost make it a tactical feeling gun or at least have seen pictures of one that looks that way.

Whoa, I didn't mean you could convert the S&W 15/22 to Center fire, I meant that you could go pick up someones AR and know how to run it , The 15/22 cannot be converted.

and the 10/22's good solid rifles, and they would serve great right as they come out of the box, With the new glowy sights you will never get the full potential out of the gun but a set of Tech sight that are promoted by Appleseed would get you there.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    I didn't think you could but I was intrigued lol. I do love the 15/22 but again just too much. I was just looking for a piece of crap thing to take out and play with lol.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Most 10/22's are GTG right out of the box. My wife as one and loves it. I did spend about $50 and in dropped in an extended mag release and auto-bolt release for her though. She's lefty and had problems with the stock items. As far as aftermarket items, you can sink $2k into a 10/22 if you want, I've seen it done. (I've also seen the kid with a stock rifle in the lane right next those 'hot rods' shoot better. But that's the shooter, not the gun)

We also have a couple of Marlin 795's which I have found to be a little more accurate and not so picky about what ammo they like best. They are also between $50 and $100 cheaper than the Ruger.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Huh thats awesome. So Stschil what range are you shooting at? Like how many yards are they usually accurate at? And the 795 seems to be a winner. $140 with a scope seems to be decent also.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ruger 10/22... don't let anyone tell you different lol

Mosin is cool... but its not something you want to "practice with". Its something you pull out and shoot 5-10 shots with and then put away for another 12 months. You'll shoot the .22lr WAY more

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Have you thought about an SKS or AK? The ammo is cheap and typically available at walmart.

I have a Hi Point 995ts. Only taken it out a couple times but it's a blast

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    My buddy has an SKS. Like I said. Little more than I want to spend or I would get one of those. I am going to probably next year get something a little more...Fun but for now just cheap little stuff.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Huh thats awesome. So Stschil what range are you shooting at? Like how many yards are they usually accurate at? And the 795 seems to be a winner. $140 with a scope seems to be decent also.

Don't discount the Savage 64. $140 new at Walmart and SUPER ACCURATE.

.22lr is fairly accurate out to 100yds, but there are plenty of members on INGO taking them out to 300yds+... but to get them that far, these guys usually have to invest into more expensive scopes with longer internal travel

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Well the later on investing isn't a huge deal. Like a nice scope. As long as the gun is functioning enough to shoot that far.

Top Bottom