• ...and so much more!
  • Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    Google mosinbutt. It's a recoil pad that replaces the buttplate. It also adds an inch to the s
    tock. I was told the nagants have a shorter rear stock due to being designed to be fired with a really heavy coat.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I'm new to the Mosin world, I now have two nice ones, one a typical 91/30, the other a nice M38 (with the M38 stock) I picked up off Gunbroker. I had read much about the punishing recoil, and based on what I read, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the carbine without an aftermarket recoil pad, the felt recoil was supposedly so bad.

Long story short, I tried it out and was surprised to find the recoil fairly mild. Let's just say I won't be needing a recoil pad.

To date, the hardest kicking rifle I've owned was a lightweight Savage 99 in 308, and that includes my Benelli R1 in 338 win mag. (Benelli R1's are notoriously light-kickers, about half the recoil felt for the caliber.)

A 8x56r M1895/34 Stutzen kicks way more than a Mosin. That's the hardest kicking Mil Surp I have.
    AShootinDayM95.jpg

Honestly, it think a Mosin Nagant is square in the middle of it's 20th century counter parts. I think easily the Mauser 8mm and the US rifle Model of 1903A3 have a harder recoil.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I can shoot my 45-70 (Hornady leverEvolution 300gr @ 2020fps) more than I can shoot my M44. Both are my two favorite rifles to shoot...but the mosin with just the steel butt-plate wears out my bony shoulder....however once the limbsaver goes on its fun ALL DAY.

The 45-70 is much more "pushy and slow" compared to the "fast bite" that the 54r has....doesnt help that the m44 and m38's are so light either....A 91/30 is a piece of cake.

God bless
    -Shred

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Mosins have recoil? Huh. Weird. I've never felt it. But then again, I rub my shoulder down with some M.A.N. before I go shooting.

Last edited:

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I have a padded shooting vest that I use, I've seen people get themselves raw after skeet shooting and the like. I need mobility in my shoulder to work.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    Eh? What's that?? :): I don't do it often, and never for more than a couple of shots. It's a wonder that all those guys weren't stone deaf after the war.

Well, in all fairness, you may not hear much about any deafness problems because most of the men that shot these rifles died from enemy fire lol

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Mosin not so bad. Not really much different than an old .30-06 bolt action. Worst I have shot so far is an old 375 H&H.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have recently acquired a Mossburg bolt gun in 30-06. It knocks the snot loose in my head. 10 rounds and I am feeling a bruise coming. My friends Rem. 700 in same caliber is not nearly as mean.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Since I was a young teen, I loved the feel of recoil. First was the 12 gauge slug which was nice. When I was in delayed entry to the Corps, I went to Atterbury rifle range and shot a 45/70 which I thought was cool. Didn't seem punishing. The AR was nothing. I used to have this steel tubed chair I found in the woods. I would make shotgun shell grenades, light the fuse and drop it down one of the legs of the chair and hold the chair to my chest. That would knock me back a few feet.

Can't wait to shoot a Mosin when I get one.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Since I was a young teen, I loved the feel of recoil. First was the 12 gauge slug which was nice. When I was in delayed entry to the Corps, I went to Atterbury rifle range and shot a 45/70 which I thought was cool. Didn't seem punishing. The AR was nothing. I used to have this steel tubed chair I found in the woods. I would make shotgun shell grenades, light the fuse and drop it down one of the legs of the chair and hold the chair to my chest. That would knock me back a few feet.

Can't wait to shoot a Mosin when I get one.
    You're gonna really love bursitius lol. Other than in prone, I never thought M38's or M44's kicked that bad. I'll never forget that sweet 'ole M38 I had, the guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse...whata ya do?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    You're gonna really love bursitius lol. Other than in prone, I never thought M38's or M44's kicked that bad. I'll never forget that sweet 'ole M38 I had, the guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse...whata ya do?

Never had bursitis from firing weapons. Now prickly heat, that's a *****!

Top Bottom