• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The cam on the bolt uses leverage and cocks the firing pin on open, otherwise you would have to fight the firing pin spring when you shove the bolt closed.

Instead you have to fight the firing pin spring when you open the bolt. It uses leverage, but you still have to put in the same amount of work. "Leverage" just lets you trade distance for force. There is no free lunch.

I've got both Cock on Open (Mosin Nagant) and Cock on Close (1891 Argentine) and, frankly, prefer the Cock on Close. I just find it easier to push the bolt forward against the resistance of the firing pin spring than to pull it open against that resistance. The direction of the pull in cock on close also disturbs the position of the rifle less (for me). There are more reasons than just CoC vs. CoO for that, but that is a factor.

The CoO vx. CoC is also part of why some consider the Short Magazine Lee Enfield to be a superior battle rifle to either the Springfield '03 or the German Mausers of the day, and a large part of the reason that British troops could get such large rates of fire with the SMLE.

All of this, of course, is what works for me. YMMV.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    to much cock talk in here for me

fairly impressive considering how difficult the actions are to use on those things. anyone want to buy one of those pos's? ha

Top Bottom