• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    So after hearing about Mosin's on the forum, I started looking into them. A couple weeks ago I got the chance to shoot one a friend got for Christmas. After that, I had the fever!! So last night I joined the loyal following of Sergei Mosin and purchased my first 91/30.

edit And +1 to Cosner's in Bedford very nice shop, good prices, friendly staff.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How hard do they kick? My son is really jonesing for one, because it's a WW2 gun, which means he thinks it's really cool, and they are so cheap he's got enough allowance money saved up.

Hardest kicking gun he's fired is his Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 guage.

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I fired a 91/30 2 weekends ago after breaking clays for a few hours. I thought the recoil was less than a 12 ga. but maybe a little more than a 20 ga. firing 2 3/4" target loads in both shotguns. I did fire the Mosin prone vs. standing for the shotguns, and it was about 15 out, so I had on a pretty heavy coat.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    How hard do they kick? My son is really jonesing for one, because it's a WW2 gun, which means he thinks it's really cool, and they are so cheap he's got enough allowance money saved up.

Depends on what lead you're putting down range.

Some of the yellow tipped stuff kicks pretty hard. I know the machine gun stuff feels worse than any 12 gauge with the exception of a good slug.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    kicks like a mule. I love Mosin's! If ya ever want to trade that 91/30 for a m44 with bayonet, I'm in. :-)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So after hearing about Mosin's on the forum, I started looking into them. A couple weeks ago I got the chance to shoot one a friend got for Christmas. After that, I had the fever!! So last night I joined the loyal following of Sergei Mosin and purchased my first 91/30.

edit And +1 to Cosner's in Bedford very nice shop, good prices, friendly staff.

If you think Cosner's has got good prices, have I got a deal for you. :):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

It has a good solid kick, but my 12 year old could handle it without too much trouble. Then again, after about 5 rounds, he was anxious to go back to shooting the SKS instead.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have two of the MN 91/30 and love them. They are fun. I do not think that mine kick much at all. I suspect the M44 and 38's are much worse.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I shot about 20-25 rounds with the M44 the other day wearing my winter coat and the next day my shoulder was quite sore. The fact that the butt plate is metal probably contributed to a lot of that!

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have two of the MN 91/30 and love them. They are fun. I do not think that mine kick much at all. I suspect the M44 and 38's are much worse.

Well, all my life, my dad has had a .30-06 in a sporting rifle so maybe I'm a little skewed on what excessive recoil is, :rolleyes: but I also didn't think the recoil was bad. We were shooting some surplus ammo, I don't remember if it had colored tips, but it was wrapped in hand tied bundles of 20 rounds. I have another friend who has an M44, so i may try it just to compare the recoil.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you get a chance, shoot it at night sometime. That round puts out one heck of a fireball!:D

When I touched off that first round from mine. i sort of felt sorry for the Germans at ole Stalingrad! ok not really but man that had to hurt

handyman1028

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    you guys are a bad influence on my. yaw kept talking about those darn mosins so i bought one today. cant wait to shoot it of course i would have to work tomorrow and ruin those plans.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    The Carbines have more felt recoil but it's managable.
    My NEF 20 ga single shot kicks worse.
    I just took delivery of 2 more M38's.
    I need to thin my Mosin herd, it's out grown my safe. :)

Top Bottom