• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I am just now starting to venture into rifles. I keep seeing people who love their mosins, so I think one will be my first rifle. What model do you recommend and what price should I look for I have a poor mans budget

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    The 91/30 will be about your cheapest model to get into with prices ranging from $75 to $150 for a basic non collector type.

I prefer the longer 91's over the 91/30 and like the Finnish M39 the best. I never cared for the M44 or T53 models, but the Model 38 and 91/59 are pretty fun carbines.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Cost shouldn't be the only thing you are concerned with (although it can be a biggie)

7.62x54r.net has almost every last bit of information you should need to make your first Mosin Nagant. Special Markings to watch for, rarity, etc.. the major thing to look for when buying one is a good, clean bore (although sometimes there's enough cosmoline to hide the bore) The furniture can be replaced relatively cheaply so I wouldn't worry TOO much about the stock... as I'm still relatively new to the Mosin bug, that's about all the information that I, personally, have to offer... There are many other well-versed Mosin guys on here that should be along shortly to help you out.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    I've owned a 91/30 and a Type 53.

The 91/30, although older, was in far better condition. I'd only recommend buying a Type 53 if it was your only option; the Chinese didn't take very good care of them.

Also, the 91/30 is more accurate due to it's length. I don't know about any other variants. Welcome to the club though. Nugget fever is hard to shake.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a half dozen or so Mosin's. All are Russian Arsenal refinished except for one 1890's model that I purchased many years ago. Most are 91/30's Rifles and Carbines. I am not an expert on the variations of Mosin's, nor do I want to be. I have bought four others for gifts.

I would recommend buying a Russian version (Chinese that I have seen always have more wear, obvious lack of maintenance).

These should be "fresh" out of the import box and contain the pouch with the cleaning kit and oil can, the sling and the (attached) bayonet. The gun will be packed with Cosmoline and require disassembly and cleaning. As these are all imported from Russian refinished arsenal storage - all should be safe to shoot and 99% will be accurate to 2 MOA or less. These should be retail in the $150 range.

Unless you just want it for collection purposes, do NOT buy a Hex receiver model. The older guns were Hex receivers, as the steel improved and manufacturing costs examined the newer guns were all produced with round receivers (due to the improved steel they may actually be stronger). When they were first imported the hex was sold at the same price as the round - as collectors started to want the hex the price was raised!

The only issue I have had was one of mine has a "tight bolt action", doesn't affect the shooting ability but is hard to actuate.

One thing - once you purchase one - find, buy and install a add-on rubber butt plate. These guns were made for short armed men, and also kick like hell with the steel butt plate. They become much "tamer" with the added length and padding of the add-on!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Generally Bradis has them in stock. Give them a call before you head down just to make sure.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I love my 1929 hex. Shoot's straighter than I can and I love the history behind it. Find one you like and have at it!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    You could always join the dark side and buy a Lee-Enfield! Seriously though, the pricing on Mosins is a toss up. Seems every major importer sold out of 91/30s in the panic, so now you have pricing ranging from the $99 pre-panic to $200 rifles flying off the shelves.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Hex receiver

I'm not sure why someone would recommend a round receiver over a hex one. The hex receivers were made prior to WWII and are considered to be higher quality due to the wartime rifles being pumped out quickly with little regard for quality controls. Either way they're great rifles but I would buy a hex over a round any day. Check to see if all the serial numbers match and that the end of the barrel hasn't been counter bored. If the bore looks good buy it.:twocents:

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    100_3553.jpg

Not all type 53's were beat to death. I found the one above in Gas City for $ 100 out the door. The bore is very strong with just a little frost. The medal finish over all was good with only a few rough spots. The stock was beat but some bedding compound and tung oil and it shaped up quite nicely. The best advice is to buy from a shop/dealer where you can physically put your hands on it and look it over well.....:@ya:......Duce

Top Bottom