• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Not too long ago I posted a few pics of my "destroyed" 1938 Mosin Nagant.

Here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._destroyed_my_mosin_91_30_purists_beware.html

After my first trip to the range with it, I decided I wanted more green and needed to bleed out some more cosmoline. Here is a before and after:

Before..
    20us6yh.jpg

After!
    msg6c2.jpg

2vvql3l.jpg

This time I used black as the first coat, followed by green and tan. There is supposedly some method to this, but wingin' it seems to work out alright too. Once I get my Darrel Scout Mount and a scope added I'll post some pics with and without a simple rifle wrap (just for kicks) and hopefully get a target with some holes punched in it up as well. :D

:ingo:

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Looks good. How did you go about bleeding out the cosmoline?

Well she wouldn't fit in the dishwasher. My space heaters were cutting off before they got warm enough to work. It wasn't hot enough during the day to set it on the dash in the truck. I used the fireplace. :D It brought the nasty right out and I wiped it every 10 to 15 minutes. Had to keep a close eye on it but it was a rainy day anyway so there wasn't much else to do.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I am usually a naysayer when it comes to destroying ANY old firearms, but I really like this! Great work! That magazine looks brand new, did you re-finish it?

This rifle had it rough. It'd been shot with the cosmo still in it and hadn't been cleaned afterward. The underside of the barrel had a nickel sized spot with some pitting, along with the magazine in three places. The pitting and rust luckily didn't harm the function of the rifle. I just cleaned those areas with some steel wool and shot the underside of the barrel and the magazine with a couple light coats of Rustoleum. Should keep it from getting any worse.

In addition to the cosmetic work, I polished the chamber and bolt, very lightly polished the firing pin, and cut one coil off the firing pin spring. The action works like a dream now and doesn't become stiffer with each round fired. I may add a butt pad too. Please advise of any experience with the butt pad replacements.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Ya know, after you told me you were going to paint your Mosin the first time, I had my doubts but it turned out pretty well, then the sun brought out the cosmoline and kinda screwed your paint job. So when you said you wanted to re-paint it, I didn't think you'd get lucky enough to have it turn out so well the second time around (let's face it, not all of your ideas have had the best endings) but you have done a great job with this paint job again. Well done, I may have to get another one and let you have a go at it with some paint and see what happens.

Top Bottom