Modifying Trigger = Premeditated Murder???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    No issue is you said you shot to stop the threat. Shouldn't matter if it was a 1oz or a 100lb trigger. I pointed and shot as intended. Weight should only matter if you are trying to claim that you didn't mean to shoot...then it could be neglegent on your part if you modified the gun.

Almost all of my guns have some sort of trigger job (smoothing, polishing, lighter springs, etc.). It helps me shoot more accurately, which is the name of the game right.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    when i first got into guns, i purchased a few weapons from pops because they were close to work and was a place to shoot. they answered (to my knowledge now) mostly correctly all of my dumb newbie questions and treated me very nicely. its been a long while since i have been in there, but i used to shoot there quite a bit when i worked on that side of town.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I hear this stuff all the time, not just about trigger jobs either.

Don't use reloads.
    Don't use hollowpoints.
    Gun training will make you look like a nut job to a jury.
    If you carry an extra mag you like like you are ready to go on a shooting spree.

There are all kinds of ridiculous opinions without merit.

Hey don't forget you cannot carry 'cocked n locked'.
    Also you can't carry with one in the chamber.

The stories you here from the guys at Pop's in itself is amazing. A worker there once told me that InGO's number rated shop sells guns so cheap is bcuz they are all used or factory reconditioned.:laugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It kills them so hard they go straight to hell.

^ This.

Shooting someone with a gun that has been modified would be exactly the same as stabbing them with Stormbringer

weird.jpg

...or anything made of INFI. ;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Massad Ayoob, who is no stranger to the courtroom, has written bunches of articles about modifying your gun, using reloads, etc., and the effects they will have in the courtroom. What follows is the essence of what he's been saying about such situations for years now:

It's important to remember that if you have to shoot someone, and you wind up in court over it, the people on the jury will not be members of INGO. More likely than not, they will have gotten all of what passes for their "gun knowledge" from the television -- shows like Dawg the Bounty Hunter, where Mulletman holds up a target round and proclaims it a cop-killer bullet.

The prosecutor will use the jury's ignorance to his advantage, and will haul "expert" after "expert" in to testify that the cops only use factory guns and factory ammunition, and that the "only reason" you could possibly want to mod your gun is to make it "more lethal" or because you had some sort of Rambo complex going on or whatever. He will paint you as a lunatic just itching to put a bullet in someone on the slightest provocation.

Will it work? Hard to say, but that's the sort of BS that Ayoob is usually called upon as an expert witness to refute. And based on the track record he's written about, he does a pretty darn good job, so no problem, right? Of course, a respected expert witness like Massad Ayoob will probably cost you north of $30 - $50k when it's all said and done, but compared to the bother of learning to shoot with a factory trigger, that's probably no big deal.

FIFY.

Not every SD shooting goes to court. Heck, Zimmerman hasn't even been arrested.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Went to Pop Guns today on my lunch break. Usually I dont go there but its next to my work so I stopped by and checked it out. I asked them if they sold a 3.5# connector for a Glock. They said no. That they dont and wont sell them. I asked why not? They said that lighter then stock trigger pull is for law enforcement or competition shooting only. Not meant for daily carry.

Why would LEO's have modified triggers? I thought their sidearms are stock.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    When I reload I ALWAYS add KY jelly to the nose of the bullet so it will enter the body easier and then I mix sand in with the base of the bullet so it drags more while in the body!!!

P.S. NEVER keep you reloading supplies in the night stand beside the bed! Potential to make the wife unhappy is greatly increased!!!

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I hear this stuff all the time, not just about trigger jobs either.

Don't use reloads.
    Don't use hollowpoints.
    Gun training will make you look like a nut job to a jury.
    If you carry an extra mag you like like you are ready to go on a shooting spree.

There are all kinds of ridiculous opinions without merit.

i dont believe any of those. nor the one about reloading your own carry ammo. if you do any of those things and you shoot someone how will those things affect whether or not you shot in self-defense?

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I have arthritis in my fingers, my trigger finger is 15%locked, a lighter trigger enables me to pull the trigger so is thatpremeditated?

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I live very close to pop guns. I also use their range from time to time. I don't even stop to glance at the cabinets anymore.

Also THIS------>
    When you're that close to Papa Roux??????
    Papa Roux rocks!!! Love me some small eastside homegrown grub.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Hey don't forget you cannot carry 'cocked n locked'.
    Also you can't carry with one in the chamber.

The stories you here from the guys at Pop's in itself is amazing. A worker there once told me that InGO's number rated shop sells guns so cheap is bcuz they are all used or factory reconditioned.:laugh:

Pssshhh. You don't need to hear that at a gunshop. I got that one straight from a county sheriff's deputy. :rolleyes:

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Resurrecting this thread! Does anyone know of actual case that has gone to court where the trigger weight has been a deciding factor in the outcome? I'm trying to figure out if this is a legit idea or if it's an urban legend. Google has failed me. :(

Top Bottom