• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    The Need For Speed? (Podcast ? Season 6, Ballistic Radio Episode 265, July 29th, 2018) ? Ballistic Radio This was a really good episode that is somewhat germane to this thread. I say somewhat because it is not germane to what my original point was, but fits quite well with what the thread turned into.

Dammit!
    Another podcast
    I'm going to have to spend twice as long on the treadmill in order listen to all the stuff i want to listen to:):

This thread kinda died when we started throwin up numbers. It going to take awhile for me to approach blackbelt numbers.
    I may have to revisit junk carry after 10 more pounds

downloaded
    Ill listen on the way home

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    OK
    I listened, twice.
    This gentleman seems to have impressive credentials.
    The reason that I listened twice is that I was confused when I finished the first go around and I was sure I had missed something.
    In the beginning the subject is that there is too much focus on speed and sending bullets downrange quickly. He went into the reasons why and talked about the average shooter missing a bunch when they shoot fast.
    He then talked about becoming more accurate at speed by using smaller targets, never a bad idea.
    And brought it full circle by stating at the end that we all need to work on being faster and more accurate in our training because everything goes to **** when the chips are down.
    I'm probably missing something.
    In my limited experience its difficult to get faster and more accurate at the same time, it just leads to frustration.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This has been a great discussion to read. It gives me a good idea of ehere I'm at and how far I have to go to meet my goals. Pretty motivating overall. I may try these standards at the range next week and report back.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    OK
    I listened, twice.
    This gentleman seems to have impressive credentials.
    The reason that I listened twice is that I was confused when I finished the first go around and I was sure I had missed something.
    In the beginning the subject is that there is too much focus on speed and sending bullets downrange quickly. He went into the reasons why and talked about the average shooter missing a bunch when they shoot fast.
    He then talked about becoming more accurate at speed by using smaller targets, never a bad idea.
    And brought it full circle by stating at the end that we all need to work on being faster and more accurate in our training because everything goes to **** when the chips are down.
    I'm probably missing something.
    In my limited experience its difficult to get faster and more accurate at the same time, it just leads to frustration.

I don't think you really missed anything. The key to shooting speed on the street is how fast can you asses? This is where Aron and I were hoping the discussion led, but it didn't quite make it. Though I have no disagreement with anything Wayne said (I am sure he is relieved to hear that), I will still attempt to shoot as fast and accurate as I can in practice and matches.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I don't think you really missed anything. The key to shooting speed on the street is how fast can you asses? This is where Aron and I were hoping the discussion led, but it didn't quite make it. Though I have no disagreement with anything Wayne said (I am sure he is relieved to hear that), I will still attempt to shoot as fast and accurate as I can in practice and matches.

I didn't disagree with him either.
    Being fast is good ,being accurate is good.
    The acceptable definitions of each of those things can vary depending on the situation.
    In his example of the black dots, the trainers changed the accuracy requirement. The students adjusted and eventually became a lot more accurate.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Didn't quite make it? Really?

If you are in a situation you need to be able to clear concealment at these speeds, you have probably either failed on multiple levels of situational awareness or gotten really unlucky.

I mentioned situational awareness repeatedly as a priority. The competition crowd didn't seem to have much interest.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Didn't quite make it? Really?

I mentioned situational awareness repeatedly as a priority. The competition crowd didn't seem to have much interest.

Situational awareness is not the same thing as assessing a situation prior to taking action. Being as aware as is reasonable for a situation can certainly aid in reducing the time to complete a cycle of an OODA loop, but it's not the same thing.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What are you talking about?

Related strictly to the topic of how fast should you shoot, take a failure drill as an example. If I shoot it in 1.5 seconds, did I actually have time to assess whether or not the head shot was needed? If I am shooting .15 splits in a street scenario do I have the presence of mind to assess when I need to stop because of any variety of factors?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Situational awareness is not the same thing as assessing a situation prior to taking action. Being as aware as is reasonable for a situation can certainly aid in reducing the time to complete a cycle of an OODA loop, but it's not the same thing.
    Are you serious? Being aware of the situation you are in is different from "assessing a situation prior to taking action"? Situational awareness means you are effectively assessing your current situation.

Where I come from we call meaningless distinctions "Churching it up".

I am fascinated by a number of people who have acknowledged in this thread that drawing from concealment isn't a training priority for them, who then think they hold some sort of authority on this subject.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Related strictly to the topic of how fast should you shoot, take a failure drill as an example. If I shoot it in 1.5 seconds, did I actually have time to assess whether or not the head shot was needed? If I am shooting .15 splits in a street scenario do I have the presence of mind to assess when I need to stop because of any variety of factors?
    I thought we were talking about the topic of gunfights and how these speed standards relate? No one criticized being lightning fast, some of just think it isn't the be all end all of surviving.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are you serious? Being aware of the situation you are in is different from "assessing a situation prior to taking action"? Situational awareness means you are effectively assessing your current situation.

Where I come from we call meaningless distinctions "Churching it up".

I am fascinated by a number of people who have acknowledged in this thread that drawing from concealment isn't a training priority for them, who then think they hold some sort of authority on this subject.

You're really being unpleasant in this topic. I am done attempting to communicate with you.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    We are clearly talking past each other. Maybe it is my fault.

Maybe, or maybe it is mine.

From where I sit, the biggest skill in play in a street encounter is recognizing it is coming. I would handicap that skill as determining success at somewhere over 70%.

The other 30% is probably split between will and ability. Abilitywise, I try to train for the instances where I screw up the SA portion because I usually have small kids with me and disengagement isn't often an option. Willwise, I try to go full contact with a superior fighter several time a year.

I would love to be faster than I am, I practice to do so. I am under no illusion that shaving a 10th of my draw is likely to make much more of a difference than shaving a 10th off my 40 yd dash or adding 10 lbs to my bench press or really refining my key lock technique.

Keeping my head up and eyes open dominates all these.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

I think I'm zeroing in on what you're getting at
    I've been turning it over in my slow dull mind for a bit.
    The ability to do a failure drill in 1.5 seconds is a wonderful skill to own. It could save your ass someday.
    The decision about weather or not you need to take that head shot can only be made when something very unfortunate happens to you. It will probably take longer than than 1.5 seconds to make that decision but who knows.
    I'm of the opinion that that type of training is very different
    From the training to be able to shoot a failure drill in 1.5 seconds.

Top Bottom