• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I live in NW Indiana and got an earful from some friends a while back about the toll road business. I was like - so? Now that I see it was losing money I lean towards his decision being a good one.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Only in Indiana could people be angry because a bunch of foreigners sent us a ton of their money for a road that they can't move, and was a money loser for us and for which we wrote the rules about what they can charge and how they must maintain it or we take it back, no refund.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    US 30 does not take me from Elkhart to Chicago. I-94 is always jammed because it is a free road and it always under construction because they never fix it right the first time. I see what your saying, just dont agree with it. If a governor does not listen to the people who elected him, it changes the peoples mind about voting for him ever again. Like I said before, its not only about leasing our toll road, but not listening to the majority of the people who told him NOT TO DO IT. If you want to get rid of govt waste, theres many other ways to do it then sell off our state one piece at a time. (wonder when hes finally gonna sell off our lottery like he said he wants to)

Hey ElkhartGunner, dont expect to get any kind of understanding from the Indy folks. I got blasted for saying basically the same thing as you are saying here.

Haha... Who is the person that said Indiana has I-94. Unless you live ON LAKE MICHIGAN, its 35 miles north into Michigan.

Here is what I said 3 weeks ago:

Daniels was saying that the federal government was imposing on our particular area of the country (Indiana), a Cap and Trade policy that would cause our area (Indiana) to have to pay taxes for the benifit of other areas or states.

Just a for instance --- say that from 1956 till today, that 465 was a toll road. And someone in South Bend said lets lease that thing for (Oh say around 75 years). We could balance the budget and spread the money all over the state. Well, I dont go to Indy but only 3 or 4 times a year, see a Colts Game. maybe do some shopping. sounds great to me. Then everyone in and around Indy has to pay increased tolls when they use it all the time. And the locals have been using it and paying for it for years!

Just remember in 75 years. (Oh yes... we will all be gone by then) That Daniels mortgaged our childrens future. And the (Dem. Legislature) will have squandered the money and will be looking for more.

Thats how we keep getting in deeper and deeper. They could have tried harder to make it profitable. Then they have an asset for our childerns future. Now our children have to pay the increases in rates and not benifit from any profits, and hopefully the money that the state made will still be around in say 50 years...

what do you think??? Think that money will be around in 50 years?? How bout 75 years?

We use to use the toll road all the time to go to University Park Mall... Notre Dame Games. Now it starts costing too much..

By Angela Mapes Turner

The Journal Gazette

For the first time since 1985, tolls for cars and other two-axle vehicles rose at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, from $4.65 for the entire length of the road to $8.00.

Thanks Daniels....

And thanks to all the people giving me the business for voicing my opinion.. :yesway:

Im with you EklhartGunner... leasing the toll road was a typical politician's way of solving a budget problem without dealing with the root cause of the problem.

And, for all of you that want to say that Indy puts all its money into the unemployement fund to pay for Elkhart County's unemployement now.... I believe that you are all FULL OF IT!!! Elkhart Co. has had more indusrty in it for years and has paid for ALL!! I repeat ALL! of any unemployement it recieves now....

Economic history:​
    [FONT=BDGLCO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]in 1977 Elkhart had more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the country. [/FONT]
    [FONT=BDGLCO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]​

[/FONT][FONT=BDGLCO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]My ... :twocents:... There ya go... pick it apart... all you BIG Government people.
    [/FONT]

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Only in Indiana could people be angry because a bunch of foreigners sent us a ton of their money for a road that they can't move, and was a money loser for us and for which we wrote the rules about what they can charge and how they must maintain it or we take it back, no refund.

Yep. They can't figure-out to set their clocks twice a year too!! :D :patriot:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    We use to use the toll road all the time to go to University Park Mall... Notre Dame Games. Now it starts costing too much..

For the first time since 1985, tolls for cars and other two-axle vehicles rose at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, from $4.65 for the entire length of the road to $8.00.

Thanks Daniels....[FONT=BDGLCO+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][/FONT]

Let me get this straight, it now costs an additional $3.35 to drive the _entire_ toll road. South Bend basically sits right in the middle, so if you are driving to a Notre Dame game, if you are coming from the state border from the east or west, it will now costs you $3.35 to go to that game/function ($1.67 there, $1.67 back). Well man, say you go to 30 functions at Notre Dame, so the costs is now $100 more for those functions for a year. If you now can't afford to travel all those miles to South Bend, thirty times a year, because it costs you $100 more, then you couldn't afford to go before. Hell, I could make $100 walking around asking for donations in about a week. I could by your arguement if it was going to costs you $3,000 or more per year in fees.

When I went to Florida a few years ago, driving from Orlando to the east coast (Cocoa Beach area/NASA), we went via the Beeline Express Way. It costs me around $4 for that small strech of road. Almost the entire road was much safer than most Indiana roads, as it had wire barrier systems in place. If I recall, the Indiana Toll Road didn't have such barriers until after it was sold.

The simple fact was that the tolls were way to low for years. What is the difference if the state raised the entire lenght toll by $3.35 or if a private company does it?

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    I could make $100 walking around asking for donations in about a week.

The simple fact was that the tolls were way to low for years. What is the difference if the state raised the entire lenght toll by $3.35 or if a private company does it?

Ok, for starters... You can walk around asking for donations all you want. I will take the free roads from now on, and NONE of my money will go into the Toll Road. I know alot of people up here that are doing the same thing. Also there are alot of people from Michigan that will now start taking the other free roads. (what kind of impact do you think this will have?)

And I explained what the difference is if a private company makes the profits.... can you read? Hear... I will explain it to you again.

They could have tried harder to make it profitable. Then they have an asset for our childerns future. Now our children have to pay the increases in rates and not benifit from any profits.

I have an Idea, how about you walk around and get donations for all of your BIG GOVERNMENT ideas, and when the Dem's squander the money they got for the Toll Road I will tell them to look you up cause you can get all the donations they will need.

ps... dont knock on my door... Im packen.. :draw: lol..

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    They could have tried harder to make it profitable. Then they have an asset for our childerns future. Now our children have to pay the increases in rates and not benifit from any profits.

So, four Billion dollars in upfront payment, and $100,000+ in interest daily isn't profit? Then, they pay the state for INDOT to maintain it, and ISP to patrol it, just for an extra $8 to travel the entire length?

This is privatization, meaning private business, meaning smaller government, not bigger government. I keep wondering where you're coming up with this "big government" nonsense you keep yelling. You try to make it sound like you want less government, but you want government to continue failing at running the Toll Road. Do you not see the disconnect here? Government mucks up just about everything it touches. Why you are so against this is beyond me.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    the schools went to the state house to meet your man mitch,while they where waiting they got to look around alittle.they where showed a rug in the state that cost of course us $37,000.00. sounds like he is all for the poeple of indiana.(not)just my 2 cents

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    the schools went to the state house to meet your man mitch,while they where waiting they got to look around alittle.they where showed a rug in the state that cost of course us $37,000.00. sounds like he is all for the poeple of indiana.(not)just my 2 cents

I love cogent arguments.

What "schools"?
    What "rug"?
    What was the significance of the "rug"?
    Did it "cost" $37K, or was it "worth" $37K?
    How old was the "rug"?
    Who "bought" it? Daniels himself? His Admin? The Legislature? House or Senate? How about "your man, Bauer"?
    Were you there when "the schools" were told about the "rug", or are you relaying something told to you by a third grader?

Details and context matter just a bit.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    So, four Billion dollars in upfront payment, and $100,000+ in interest daily isn't profit? Then, they pay the state for INDOT to maintain it, and ISP to patrol it, just for an extra $8 to travel the entire length?

This is privatization, meaning private business, meaning smaller government, not bigger government. I keep wondering where you're coming up with this "big government" nonsense you keep yelling. You try to make it sound like you want less government, but you want government to continue failing at running the Toll Road. Do you not see the disconnect here? Government mucks up just about everything it touches. Why you are so against this is beyond me.

You have got to be kidding me.... Where do I start?

For 1... it is NOT!!! just an extra $8... here is an artical about what the Truckers have to pay.

Truckers saw an increase from $14.55 to $17.90 in May 2006; it's now $22.60. It will increase to $27.30 on April first, and again in 2009 to $32. That could push truckers to find ways around the toll roads, possibly rumbling through small towns, said Tim Lynch, senior vice president of the American Trucking Associations.

This will have all kinds of negative impacts....
    Please ... STICK your head back in the sand.. you will feel so much better and you will still not know what is going on!

People - Do not try to make some kind of arguement that makes any of the lease of the Toll Road sound like a good deal... I will be able to show you why you are WRONG.

And as for your "This is privatization, meaning private business, meaning smaller government, not bigger government." Just think about what you said.... Now... Prove it!!! Show me the aritical that showes that Indiana reduced something... Anything.... because of the lease of the Toll Road. If you cant show it to me... again, STICK your head back in the sand.

And it is privatization to a overseas company - Cintra of Spain and Macquarie of Australia - That is where the profits go. Haha... that is if the locals like me and the truckers will still be using it....

When you see the cost of anything being trucked around Northern Indiana go up... that means most all things that are in stores in Northern Indiana. I will thank you all that are down in the areas that are NOT affected by any of this.... BUT FEEL THAT YOU KNOW BETTER THAN ME!!!

Thank you SOOOO much.

There ya go fellas give me all the comebacks you want... Im still packen :draw:... and I aint donating!!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    A_Tomic - if you're against BIG Government why are you upset about them leasing the toll road? I agree they should have looked locally first, but its still better than being ran by the Gov't.

Also, from what I understand that private company hasn't been following everything they promised and we might be getting it back with no refund.

anyway, just an observation. my :twocents:

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    For 1... it is NOT!!! just an extra $8... here is an artical about what the Truckers have to pay.

Hey, you posted the quote from the article that mentioned cars and two axle vehicles were going up $8. Nothing about large trucks and semis. Now you're changing the direction to trucks and semis. Are you a trucker?

Truckers saw an increase from $14.55 to $17.90 in May 2006; it's now $22.60. It will increase to $27.30 on April first, and again in 2009 to $32.

Okay, for a heavy truck, tolls will have gone up $17.45 (from your numbers, although I'm confused on " on April first, and again in 2009". Aren't both in 2009?) since 2006. Which it would have had to (at least) anyway, to pay for road maintenance and improvements. So, for end to end in the state, it will cost $17.45 more, and save how much time for truckers, rather than taking US 30 through all those small towns and speed traps along the way? How much does a trucker make an hour? Even for an owner-operator, wouldn't it make sense to pay the toll (increase and all) to take far less time to get across the state, to get to the next load? Isn't that the usual plan?

People - Do not try to make some kind of arguement that makes any of the lease of the Toll Road sound like a good deal... I will be able to show you why you are WRONG.

We're waiting...bated breath and all.

And as for your "This is privatization, meaning private business, meaning smaller government, not bigger government." Just think about what you said.... Now... Prove it!!! Show me the aritical that showes that Indiana reduced something... Anything.... because of the lease of the Toll Road. If you cant show it to me... again, STICK your head back in the sand.
    Sheesh. Come on, they leased to a private company to do what it would take more government to do otherwise. While it may not technically be shrinking government in this singular, it sure isn't increasing government. If the trend to hire private companies continues and increases, guess what? Less bureaucracy! I don't need an article in some rag newspaper explaining something that simple to me. How about you? And who cares if the HQ's for the leasing companies are foreign? They hire local people for the jobs here, payroll is made here, they buy materials and supplies here, they hire subcontractors here.

When you see the cost of anything being trucked around Northern Indiana go up... that means most all things that are in stores in Northern Indiana. I will thank you all that are down in the areas that are NOT affected by any of this.... BUT FEEL THAT YOU KNOW BETTER THAN ME!!!
    Well gee, I guess you'll just have to find a profession where everything for you is practically free to operate. You won't have to pay in increased taxes or restrictions for using roads not really designed or built for continous heavy truck traffic. You won't have to pay the increased fuel costs since it takes you so much longer to drive around that stinking Toll Road, even though that $18 is way cheaper than the other route in fuel and time. Maybe you should go back to school and become an economist, huh? The Government can cover your college fees by then, so it will be free for you, too.
    Im still packen :draw:... and I aint donating!!
    I'd bet about all of us here "pack", good for you. And as far as "donating"...well, you'll look funny if you cut off your nose, just to spite your face!

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    missed point

I love cogent arguments.

What "schools"?
    What "rug"?
    What was the significance of the "rug"?
    Did it "cost" $37K, or was it "worth" $37K?
    How old was the "rug"?
    Who "bought" it? Daniels himself? His Admin? The Legislature? House or Senate? How about "your man, Bauer"?
    Were you there when "the schools" were told about the "rug", or are you relaying something told to you by a third grader?

Details and context matter just a bit.
    well the point was missed on this.i not going to argue the point all day,it just seems that if all the politicians for the state where for the poeple maybe things would go a little better for those of us who are having a rough go of it.hell for that matter maybe i will call down there and ask if i can have a beer and bacon bash on that damn rug in question.
    school-kosciusko community
    the age and who bought it dont matter to me just tired of hearing how broke the state is because of unemployment.just watch cnn early in the morning and you learn alot they dont want us to learn other wise.im not going to even come close to saying bauer is even any better

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Remember a lot of use Hoosiers like the toll road being sold as the state got billions of dollars for other improvements. Sometimes whats best for the state might not be good for a local region.

This is exactly!!! EXACTLY what I am talking about!

[Mitch Daniels is saying about "Cap and Trade"] Saying that the federal government was imposing on our particular area of the country (Indiana), a Cap and Trade policy that would cause our area (Indiana) to have to pay taxes and other cost, for the benifit of other areas or states.

HE IS A HYPOCRITE:
    Noun -
    a person who pretends to be what he or she is not

Let me Guess??? You must be all for the "Cap and Trade" deal then??? It is the same thing you just said [22lr said "Sometimes whats best for the state might not be good for a local region"]

Or "Sometimes whats best for the Country might not be good for some local States"

It is just a matter of scale. And I am sorry to say that Mitch pulled a deal in the State of Indiana that has the same economic effect that he now says is not good...

I believe it is time for Politicians to stop trying to find more money to pay for more things.. when they do... It ends up costing someone more money... THATS THE FACTS!!!

I believe it is time for Politicians to only find ways to reduce the size and scope of Government. This is the ONLY way to balance budgets, and reduce taxes, and start spuring economic growth.

I also believe a Job is the best social program...

Oh yeah... :draw: lol... you know..

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I believe it is time for Politicians to only find ways to reduce the size and scope of Government. This is the ONLY way to balance budgets, and reduce taxes, and start spuring economic growth.

Let's do it, and you can build your own damn road by the way, or are you a hypocrite?

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    It's still raining, so I've got more time to waste. :rolleyes:

[Mitch Daniels is saying about "Cap and Trade"] Saying that the federal government was imposing on our particular area of the country (Indiana), a Cap and Trade policy that would cause our area (Indiana) to have to pay taxes and other cost, for the benifit of other areas or states.
    Except for competitor nations who will ignore "Cap and Trade" regulations if imposed by the UN, and Al Gore Jr with his short-selling buddies and investors, just who will benefit from "Cap and Trade"? Indiana and all the other coal producing states will bear the largest brunt of the penalties, but the coal consuming states won't be far behind. Nobody wins with this Marxist policy.

Look, the state gets right at $4 billion dollars for the lease, plus the interest, for the entire state to use. A lot of US 31's upgrade to a limited access highway comes from that money. The users of the Toll Road get an upgraded road, a quick way across the state in probably the most populated (and crowded) area of the state,and a maintained road. Who is losing here? What else do you want free? You realize nothing in reality is truly "free"? It was losing money from both low tolls and governmental bureaucratic management. Now it's not.
    It is just a matter of scale. And I am sorry to say that Mitch pulled a deal in the State of Indiana that has the same economic effect that he now says is not good...
    To use your words, "Prove it". Show me the figures that prove your opinion.
    I believe it is time for Politicians to stop trying to find more money to pay for more things.. when they do... It ends up costing someone more money... THATS THE FACTS!!!
    The Toll Road has been there since the late 50's, as a toll road. Hardly "more things" to pay for. Just upkeep and upgrades to handle more people. Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. Call your buddy Pat Bauer up there and tell him that.

Top Bottom