• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My niece's husband got a phone call. Seems he missed her duty and there was a warrant for his arrest. The good news is he could clear it up by paying a $2,800 fine. He was freaking out. He called the sheriff's department and they informed him it was a scam.

My question is, why do people answer the phone when they don't recognize the number? That's what voice-mail is for!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My niece's husband got a phone call. Seems he missed her duty and there was a warrant for his arrest. The good news is he could clear it up by paying a $2,800 fine. He was freaking out. He called the sheriff's department and they informed him it was a scam.

My question is, why do people answer the phone when they don't recognize the number? That's what voice-mail is for!
    Some of us have to.

Then again, some of us that have to answer all calls are also smart enough to not fall for these obvious scams.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I got one of these "Pay up or we will throw you in jail" calls. I responded "Really? THANK GOD! Can you send an officer over now? My wife is awful and I could use a week or two away from her. I'll happily not post bond and wait for my trial in jail away from her."

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    On a business line, I keep getting messages from MRS to call them back at the number on the caller id, it is URGENT.

Apparently they are a shady collection agency (if it is really them). This number belonged to a different and unrelated business (not owned by me) about 15 years ago.

I get really weary with scammers.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I understand that they've started calling businesses pulling a similar scam implying an expired commerce or liquor license.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh, and I got one of these "Pay up or we will throw you in jail" calls. I responded "Really? THANK GOD! Can you send an officer over now? My wife is awful and I could use a week or two away from her. I'll happily not post bond and wait for my trial in jail away from her."

Dang, I only get: "Send me bitcoin or I'll release your masturbation videos." emails.
    I mean, really that would save me so much time sending them out...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did you send out two pennies taped to the registration for the first 10?
    When I worked for BMG Music Club (in IT) every so often we would have "penny parties" where they'd have a bunch of us sitting around in a conference room pulling those pennies off the reply cards! I think they donated them to charity or something IIRC.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Once you subscribe you are on the hook, like Columbia House CD service.
    You'll have to send a letter stating intent to discontinue the service, we'll get back to you in 8 weeks, maybe.
    I worked at Columbia House in the early 90s. You have no idea how much mail they got. They had their own post office on site and their own zip code. Mail came in by the truckload. So yeah, it could take a while to get through it all; every single piece of correspondence had to be read.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I worked at Columbia House in the early 90s. You have no idea how much mail they got. They had their own post office on site and their own zip code. Mail came in by the truckload. So yeah, it could take a while to get through it all; every single piece of correspondence had to be read.
    In Terre Haute? We merged with Columbia House and I had to go there occasionally towards the end of my employment with BMG. When I was with BMG, we were told that we moved more mail second only to the USPS than anyone else (mid 90's). I imagine Columbia House was similar.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do miss working for BMG. I make a lot more money now, but it was a fun place to work. We could buy CDs in the employee store for a buck apiece. Not to mention deals on the merchandise we sold (customer returns). And since I supported our warehouse down in South Carolina, I got to go down there occasionally. And they would let me go out into the warehouse and pick out some "freebies" each time I would go. :)

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

Be sure to ask them to remind the chief he owe you $20 and to bring it with him.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In Terre Haute? We merged with Columbia House and I had to go there occasionally towards the end of my employment with BMG. When I was with BMG, we were told that we moved more mail second only to the USPS than anyone else (mid 90's). I imagine Columbia House was similar.
    Yup. In Terrible Haute. I left there in '96 and moved to Chicago with my girlfriend (wife now). I was there for a little over a year before moving back to Indiana.

Top Bottom