• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You can't even throw birdseed in your yard without getting arrested. This guy faces 90 days in jail for feeding wild animals. More innocent behavior criminalized; more property rights out the window.

Man Accused Of Breaking Bird Feeding Facing Jail and Fines
    As Brown prepares to fight for a hobby he can no longer enjoy, he also realizes a not guilty verdict is not necessarily a win.“I promise they’ll never see a bird feeder in my yard. It’s ruined it for me. I can’t ever do it again,” said Brown.

Feeding them from your hand will get you solitary confinement.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    In Bloomington, it is legal to use bird feeders — as long as they are 5 feet off the ground. Neighbors and the charges allege that Craig Brown was throwing feed onto the ground, which is illegal.

I don't agree with the law, but ....if you do the crime, you pay the time. :rolleyes:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Do the neighbors of this guy really lack any trace of a life that they would rat him out for feeding birds? My god, I think America is in worse shape than I imagined.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Gotta wonder just how much it was irritating a neighbor to go narc on him. Pretty lame.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    11 year-old girl saves woodpecker from cat, Mom gets $535 fine ...

... and possible jail time for violation of the Federal Migratory Bird Act.

Federal Migratory Bird Act

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations.

Young Girl Saves A Baby Bird, Mom Gets $535 Ticket | Video | TheBlaze.com

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are several reasons to not put feed on the ground. As mentioned in the article it draws rodents. It also makes the little birds more susceptible to being grabbed by cats and such.

I agree it is a stupid law. I also don't like rats (snitches) either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I would hold that it doesn't even apply, as he wasn't feeding the animals via a ground based feeder but was rather throwing the feed itself, outside of any containment or delivery system, onto the ground. Heck, if he's over 5ft tall he qualifies as a legal bird feeder, does he not?

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    So you believe in upholding unjust laws?

Absolutely. We don't get to pick and choose which laws we obey and which ones we do not. You can work to change the ones you find "unjust" but deciding to just ignore it isn't an option. If everyone did so, the guy living next door to you might decide that some idiotic law that lets you keep a gun in your house is unjust. The guy across the street might decide that the law which lets you fly a POW-MIA flag in your yard is unjust and he might remove it for you. The guy down the street doesn't like your bumper sticker and he may feel it's ok to spray paint it one night. If you get to pick and choose, so does everyone else. It would render about 90% of the currently codified laws moot.

As for not putting seed on the ground, there are valid reasons for not allowing it. If everyone in this guy's neighborhood did it, you wouldn't have to wait very long to find out why it's illegal. The story was likely written to sensationalize (I never read them) but it's likely this guy was told multiple times. Code enforcement for these things never starts with an arrest threat. Laws like these, while sometimes hard to understand, usually exist to save the simple-minded from themselves.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I would hold that it doesn't even apply, as he wasn't feeding the animals via a ground based feeder but was rather throwing the feed itself, outside of any containment or delivery system, onto the ground. Heck, if he's over 5ft tall he qualifies as a legal bird feeder, does he not?
    My mom feeds hundreds of birds in her yard, and who is going to tell an 84 year old woman she can't do that:D

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    It's the endless stream of stupid crap like this that makes some folks question the legitimacy of our entire system.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do the neighbors of this guy really lack any trace of a life that they would rat him out for feeding birds? My god, I think America is in worse shape than I imagined.

part of the whole "see something, Say something" initiative.

edit: if people in the 50's-70's had believed in following unjust laws, the civil rights movement never would have happened.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    It would render about 90% of the currently codified laws moot.

On the surface, I'd say that's a good thing. We are way over-governed as it is. I surely don't need to be told how much water I can use to flush my toilet, how to keep an eye on my tire pressure or how many mpg my car has to get, what kind of light bulbs I can buy, OR how to feed the freaking birds.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Absolutely. We don't get to pick and choose which laws we obey and which ones we do not. You can work to change the ones you find "unjust" but deciding to just ignore it isn't an option. If everyone did so, the guy living next door to you might decide that some idiotic law that lets you keep a gun in your house is unjust. The guy across the street might decide that the law which lets you fly a POW-MIA flag in your yard is unjust and he might remove it for you. The guy down the street doesn't like your bumper sticker and he may feel it's ok to spray paint it one night. If you get to pick and choose, so does everyone else. It would render about 90% of the currently codified laws moot.

As for not putting seed on the ground, there are valid reasons for not allowing it. If everyone in this guy's neighborhood did it, you wouldn't have to wait very long to find out why it's illegal. The story was likely written to sensationalize (I never read them) but it's likely this guy was told multiple times. Code enforcement for these things never starts with an arrest threat. Laws like these, while sometimes hard to understand, usually exist to save the simple-minded from themselves.
    So if they passed a law against kissing your wife, you would stop?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So, if I feed my legal bird feeder which sits 5+ feet off the ground and feed drops to the ground as a result from the feeding the birds... You ae saying I could get arrested if the birds go down to the ground and eat the fallen feeds?

Top Bottom