• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking at a Ruger #1 in .270 and trying to control myself until after Christmas. I have one more slot in my safe to fill before I give more guns to my kids to make a little room

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I try to limit my self to only buy the guns that I or the family will actually shoot. The result is several guns per person, but no rifles yet because we didn't like deer meat.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I too had this same mindset up until that x-ray came back and the pain in my upper back wasn't a pulled muscle. When it takes you to the point of not being able to work for a living and paying the bills, waiting 6 months to get Disability approval with no income, some things had to be sacrificed. Unfortunately it was a lot of my guns.
    Hopefully you guys will never have to do what I did but, I'm glad I had the investment to cash out with.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I too had this same mindset up until that x-ray came back and the pain in my upper back wasn't a pulled muscle. When it takes you to the point of not being able to work for a living and paying the bills, waiting 6 months to get Disability approval with no income, some things had to be sacrificed. Unfortunately it was a lot of my guns.
    Hopefully you guys will never have to do what I did but, I'm glad I had the investment to cash out with.

I am sorry to hear that. At least you did have some items of value to sell to make it through.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    To get back on topic, I have sold off guns in odd ball calibers for the sake of caliber commonality.
    I do have a minimalist mindset, right now selling off stuff on ebay that sits in totes in closets.
    I also donate on regular basis to people that collect items for the homeless, and try to give stuff to people that I know are in need or know someone in need of clothing or household items.

I would much rather do that instead of donating to Goodwill. When I do donate to a store it is usually the Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul.

It feels good to de-clutter and re-organize and just in general not own so much stuff.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have been slowly doing the same. Gave some to grandsons, kids. Funding new interests, usually other guns, with previous favorites.

It is addiction I'm telling you!!

Don

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I cut out some odd calibers when ammo price went up if that counts? Not even really odd calibers, just some that i don't have at least 2 guns running on it.
    These past ten (10) years, we've been more into 'matching' our calibers and magazines than we have been just having a bunch of stuff in a variety of calibers.
    During the economic downturn of 2008-09, I lost both of my jobs (biology teacher and athletic trainer) due to cutbacks and had to sell just about everything (gun-wise) to keep bills paid and food on the table. Sold all but three (3) guns - 2 SP101's and a shotgun - and started over.
    Since then, we've tried to be a bit 'wiser' in our gun purchases, working at matching calibers and magazines (Beretta, Glock, etc) while staying away from some of the more non-priority calibers (as we call them) such as .32 acp, .380 acp, etc., and stayed with 5.56 caliber rather than branch out into .300 BO. We buy with the consideration of what would we want to have available to pass along to the kids and what would we want to be able to keep for ourselves?
    We've just come to the conclusion that one can end up being spread out too far and, as a result, be too thin!

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I'm currently doing the same thing. I've always been a shiny new toy kinda guy, more is better. Here recently I'm feeling like better is more. I'd rather have 4 quarters than 10 dimes.

I started with 1911s. Sold a Kimber and two Springfield's and bought a Les Baer. Then shotguns. Sold(and still selling) a couple pump guns and got a Benelli. Sold off a couple AR builds and consolidated down to the best two. I'm currently selling off a couple Ruger single action pistols and intend to order a Standard Manufacturing version. I don't kill dinosaurs so the extra strength is not needed for me.

Money isn't an issue and neither is time or health. I'm fairly young, have my health and plenty of income. I'm not a minimalist by any stretch but waste and redundancy are being eliminated in my withering gun collection.....and I'm ok with that.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am 75 and think sometimes I should start selling a few off just to be able to control the outcome. But over the years I have picked up a few that I will not see again at the price I paid and can't seem to sell even at a nice profit. Guess I will keep them untill my kids take the keys and guns. Ideally hope I get some type of six month notice of the end coming.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a bunch that I have no need for whatsoever. So what? My only son is a commie, so they won't be going to him. I don't like my SiL much, but he has 3 of my 4 grandsons. He also knows some about guns and has an idea how much mine are worth. So I should sell most of them, but aint gonna.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I apply the minimalist ideas to number of calibers. And I shoot all of mine, I do t have any safe queens or bbq guns.

I thinned out a bunch probably 10 years ago and got down to a handful of calibers. It just makes it easier to bulk buy ammo and have it ready to go for everything

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have a bunch that I have no need for whatsoever. So what? My only son is a commie, so they won't be going to him. I don't like my SiL much, but he has 3 of my 4 grandsons. He also knows some about guns and has an idea how much mine are worth. So I should sell most of them, but aint gonna.
    I can be your adopted son :stickpoke: :):

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I get it. I’m a single income family man on a tight budget. And I love guns and cars. It has to come from somewhere, so I often sell off hobby stuff to fund other hobby stuff. And I’m the same way, I’d rather have a few really nice guns I enjoy shooting all the time rather than a bunch of guns I hardly shoot and always wish were better. Quality over quality for me.

Top Bottom