• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    I have several mini 14's and a AC556 I have always run factory 10 and 20 round mags and never had any issues. Was thinking might want to grab a few high cap stick mags while I can in case something stupid happens. I have a a couple beta mags but was thinking about some sticks. Anyway my first instinct was ruger 30's but they have some horrid reviews. Triple k 30 and 40's have better reviews but some say stay with the ruger 30's others say anything over a 20 in a mini is asking for a headache, any one out there have any experience with high caps in a mini or AC ? :dunno:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have a mini 14 with 1/2 dozen Tapco's and have had zero problems. Well over 500 rounds through them with no FTF's or jams.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have used some of the 12.99 premium steel 20 & 30 mags from CDNN with zero troubles. I think the most issues I have heard with the 14 and the 30 are feed issues. If you look at the front of a factory Ruger mag and and aftermarket mag you will see the Ruger one has a slight dip right where the tip of a bullet sits. I have heard the tip can snag on that.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I have had zero issues out of my factory 20rd ruger mags. I have two 30 rd tapco mags that dont like m855 (about a 50% failure rate :noway:) but have ran perfect on pmc bronze 55gr. havent tried the the 30 or 40 round mags because the reviews are too wish washy and I dont need another junk mag laying around.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My Mini ran **** poor with anything buy factory Ruger (20 & 30) magazines. The factory ones in my opinion, are well worth the extra money. Once the stupid panic buying calms down, check out CDNN. They usually run pretty good prices on them.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have had zero issues out of my factory 20rd ruger mags. I have two 30 rd tapco mags that dont like m855 (about a 50% failure rate :noway:) but have ran perfect on pmc bronze 55gr. havent tried the the 30 or 40 round mags because the reviews are too wish washy and I dont need another junk mag laying around.
    Look at what I mentioned in my previous post. Lots of the after market mags do not have the little dip on the edge of the mag that allow for smooth feeding

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Look at what I mentioned in my previous post. Lots of the after market mags do not have the little dip on the edge of the mag that allow for smooth feeding

I'll look into it. I do think that I could make the tapco mags run with what ever ammo I put in them, I just havent tried yet. I still think there is no hope for the 10rd pro mag I have though. That thing had some awkward jams that ruined the brass so bad I was afraid to shoot it. I would like to get some 30 round steel mags for my mini though, and I would like for them to be 100% reliable

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Zero problem with Ruger factory mags in both 20 & 30's I also have several of the Tapco 30 round mags that work fine as far as feeding goes but they don't always lock the bolt open on last round. They are a little harder to get to seated. That being said Mini's are picky about aftermarket mags so if you can just buy one at a time, (good luck with that right now) until you find brand it likes.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    Not going to get into the panic buying, if the shtf tomorrow I'm covered, been takin care of that for some years. I am just lookin at some items that could be possible maybes in the next months. That said, I have several minis various models so I guess the smart thing I have been hearing seems to be to stick with the factory mags. Seems anything over 20 rd in any brand can have some issues. But looks like overall the factory have less. Thanks

Top Bottom